If you could become "augmented"...would you?

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Absolutely.

Simply for a right cyborg arm.
Punching things, writing things, and doing ANYTHING sounds a lot more fun with a cyborg arm than it would be with a fleshy breakable piece of bone.

Moderated

May 12, 2012
I'd augment my legs, eyes, brain, and my left(off) arm. I'd leave the rest of me as is.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I'd honestly replace everything but my brain and genitalia. I got a shitty body, I'll be blunt. I have a problem with my hip and my eyes are crap along with a bum ankle I got.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
SHODAN was right, I am, in fact, a pathetic creature of meat and bone.

So replace everything we can get away with, we're not done until I'm most of a brain in a jar with wireless broadband.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I have bad vision and a deteriorating back. I'm not sure which I'd augment first, but I'm pretty sure I'd get both repaired with the technology if it were available.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
If Neuropozyne isn't covered through health care and the withdrawal symptoms are as bad as they sound then hell no.

But, if I can manage to be put on a plan for Nupoz shots, assuming this is still early DXHR and not trending into DX territory with the nano augs, then I'd probably get my lungs reworked.

I've had horrible lungs since I was born and I'd like nothing more than to be able to breathe without feeling like there's an hour glass slowly ticking away before I need to take something to clear them up again.

As for anything else? Maybe my eyes. My vision sucks, so I'd get some fuckin Jensen tier sunglasses and shit.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I'm boring so I'd only get augments when my body starts to crap out on me.

Bionic heart, to pump blood faster without risk of heart attack!
Bionic spine, when the Parkinson's sets in!

Things like that.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
when they're as good or better than what I have and assuming I can afford them I wouldn't hesitate.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Account for maintenance as well. Motoko or Batou specifically call it as perk of Section 9.

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
I would take a cybernetic arm or both and one eye. I had laser corrective surgery done a couple years back so I don't want it to be a total waste of money. Just one eye for targeting and all those fun features. Probably also get lungs and heart augmented to handle damage to me mostly mortal shell.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Totally, transhumanism and posthumanism ftw!
Those people making the cyborg bodies gotta get cracking though, so we can have the events of Ghost in the Shell happen on time.

Captcha: I have fallen

No captcha, we have not yet begun! Let the fall of mankind give way to a new age! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwO9PSe-uG4]

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I'd go as far as disposing of my body entirely and implanting my brain/consciousness into a robot or other host body.

I'd do whatever I could possibly afford, without limit.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
i could easily see myself ending up one of those augment-junkies, everything I can manage augmented, powered up. Eyes, arms, chest, face, legs: the works. ANd just sinking more and more money into prosthesis.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
Schadrach said:

So replace everything we can get away with, we're not done until I'm most of a brain in a jar with wireless broadband.
unless we can shove microchips into your grey matter, then we can augment your brain too! Replace it with a cyberbrain!

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
chinangel said:
Schadrach said:

unless we can shove microchips into your grey matter, then we can augment your brain too! Replace it with a cyberbrain!
Hence "most of a brain."

Seriously though, if someone were to offer to fit me with a datajack right now, and there was a reasonable chance that they weren't some kind of organ harvesting scheme, I'd be down.

maidenm

Jul 3, 2012
I don't put much value in my "humanity" so I'd probably replace as much as I can afford. I've always wanted a cybernetic eye...

One of my greatest fears is having a mind that my body cannot keep up with (ie. being healthy in mind but deteriorating in body). When my grandfather died he was clear in the head, but his body was almost dead before he was. He was fully self aware, he could listen to and understand others but he couldn't move or speak or eat by himself. If there's anything that can offer me a chance not to end up like that I'll take it.

Also, on the subject of "becoming something other than human"... is that a bad thing? If we can become non-human by chancing ourselves what's stopping us from being... better?

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
I would augment myself, but only for the purpose of fixing my medical problems, specifically my disabling ones. I wouldn't indulge in augmentation for its own sake, i.e., I wouldn't augment anything that wasn't broken or deficient as compared to a healthy human being/the norm.

I would prefer genetic augmentation, as I'm pretty sure most or all of my problems come from an immune system that likes to assault me instead of/in addition to doing its actual job. However, there's probably enough extant damage in my body that genetic augmentation wouldn't be enough; if nothing else they'd probably need to replace some nerves in my arms, and maybe some joints in my legs and wrists.

If I had to, I'd be willing to go for complete robot hands or arms. Healing the hands/arms I've got or just replacing the damaged parts would be better, though.

irok

Jun 6, 2012
Yeah I would grab everything and anything on the table , organic organs have a tendency to break and Im a tad sick of my eyes but all I would want as far as mental augmentation is a boost to processing power, I don't care about the whole am I still human debate but mess with your mind too much and am I still me?