If you could bring any setting to the real world?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Equestria, no question about it. Not that there aren't many other settings that wouldn't be fun, or even funner, but in my mind it's well worth the price of being able to live in an honest-to-God utopia... that's populated with fantasy monsters and semi-regularly threatened by fanatical dictators and evil gods, BUT OTHERWISE A UTOPIA.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
kickyourass said:
I'm torn between Equestria and Tamriel. Kinda on opposite ends of the spectrum I know, but they're two of my favorite fictional settings ever, I mean both would bring a flood of magic into the world and being an honest to goodness adventurer would be a viable occupation in both.
You say Tamriel now but wait until some twisted mage kills you and enslaves your soul in a black soul gem for a very long time. And don't worry. After that, you take a wonderful vacation to the Soul Cairn and spend the rest of your days there!

Yes, sounds like a basketful of FUN TIMES.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
The Hellboy world. God, I love me some chaos monsters. As much as I love other series even more than that in all their greatness, to me, these creations in the Hellboy universe simply being added on to the modern world does more than any other setting I can think of.

Or the world in Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Or Aseroth.

Yeah, I lied, I could think of a few more after I started the Hellboy premise.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
how about star trek? maybe a little bit more peaceful, but besides that earth seems to be doing very well in next gen or voy. technology, medicine and naturally allied aliens and above all a human race that has evolved in the right way.

but ghost in the shell would also be good...

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Say, completely unrelated, but does anyone know of a setting that has floating cities and airships shaped like big sailing ships in the sky? Preferably with an adventuring class I can learn to become that can cast magic. There's probably a JRPG like that, FF9 comes close, but no floating cities.

Anyway.

OT: If anyone comes up with an answer that fits all three requirements I'll go with that. Also, Steampunk would be a plus. The setting of Jorneyman Project is also pretty good.

Journeyman Project... you know, old PC, point and click puzzle game, dealt with stopping a time-traveling madman.
...look it up.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Discworld. The Mass Effect universe is a close second, but I'd have to say Discworld. The setting is awesome, the rules are hilarious, and the characters are wonderful. Sure, half of them would probably smack me in the face, but hey, I got to see Cohen!

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
kickyourass said:
I'm torn between Equestria and Tamriel. Kinda on opposite ends of the spectrum I know, but they're two of my favorite fictional settings ever, I mean both would bring a flood of magic into the world and being an honest to goodness adventurer would be a viable occupation in both.
You say Tamriel now but wait until some twisted mage kills you and enslaves your soul in a black soul gem for a very long time. And don't worry. After that, you take a wonderful vacation to the Soul Cairn and spend the rest of your days there!

Yes, sounds like a basketful of FUN TIMES.
Which is why you bury an axe in the skull of every mage you meet along the road. Besides even if I do get trapped in a soul gem that just means my soul will be enchanted into a weapon, and all those living weapons in Norse Mythology seem to have it pretty good.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Probably Columbia from Biosock Infinite, minus...
scorptatious said:
Probably Rapture or Columbia from the Bioshock games. Minus the plasmid wielding drug addicts and decaying structure of the former and all the racism and religious fanatics of the latter.
Dammit, ninja'd.

Or the setting of Chicago from The Dresden Files. Modern day Chicago + Magic, werewolves, vampires, etc. What's not to love?