If you could bring back one thing about retro games what would it be?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
LadyLightning said:
3.) Greater focus on story and characters in RPGs, and lesser focus on graphics (Seriously, we've got photorealism already. Stop pushing graphics and start hiring writers who aren't shit.)
This is essentially what I was going to say under the heading "A return to 32-bit graphics, max" so that companies like Square-Enix will pull their heads out of their asses with these gorgeous, beautiful cut-scenes and set-pieces that no one gives a damn about because the story is mind-numbingly bad.

Seriously, RPG's are specifically supposed to be about story and character development, not giving your graphics designer a super-boner with all the new software he gets to work with.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
LadyLightning said:
1.) Intro level design that teaches the player the basics as a course of gameplay, rather than through tutorial popups (see EgoRaptor's Sequelitis video about the MegaMan X series)

2.) Real disadvantages to failure, including widely-spaced savepoints, potential loss of character stat progression (bring back level downs! XP debt is for losers! :p)

3.) Greater focus on story and characters in RPGs, and lesser focus on graphics (Seriously, we've got photorealism already. Stop pushing graphics and start hiring writers who aren't shit.)
These. I will show that EgoRaptor video to my kids when they get into gaming and maybe they'll understand.

I'd consider this a good example of retro game immediacy:

Their show isn't always the best but I loved that particular episode. These three guys typically go into a game without a single clue how to play and go for about half an hour on intuition. How long would half an hour of play get you in a modern game? Past the loading and downloading screens? Past the multiple intro cinematics? Past the tutorials?

While it's all done half jokingly, they state at the end they found this a lot more fun than most modern games, and they didn't even try any of the other mechs beyond the Nitro, or the multiplayer which was also fun. The only problem I had with it was limited continues and no save points at all. Including those wouldn't do much to change just how intense the last few levels are.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Good storytelling in RPG games a la Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, where the story is focused on more and matters more than the gameplay. Also more choices than Good&Evil to choose from during dialogues.

Dragon Age Origins did it pretty well, but not to the extent that I wanted it to.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
weirdness and just allround uniqueness

also I cant tell if we've gone backwards or not in regards to female protagonists....I mean Dixie Kong was just as much of a player as Diddie Kong..more so because she did that hair whip thing

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I miss the length. 60+ hours used to be the norm, and even then you hadn't done all the side quests. Now the main story is like 10-20 hours at most, and only a few hours of sidequests.

Hell, outside of traditional RPGs, 10 hours for a game is now considered long! This is bull. That's $6-$7 an hour of play, plus taxes. Movies are cheaper. Movies. At the theatre. Where they make you pay a premium for 3D when you don't even want to see it in 3D but they aren't showing the 2D version so they can fuck you over and get more money.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Complete game sales. That is: Everything that's going into the game stays in the game, and isn't cordoned off behind some fucking paywall or online pass or whatever. You give them money, you get the game and that's it. No arm twisting bullshit.

Everything else is pretty elementary in comparison.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
I miss the length. 60+ hours used to be the norm, and even then you hadn't done all the side quests. Now the main story is like 10-20 hours at most, and only a few hours of sidequests.

Hell, outside of traditional RPGs, 10 hours for a game is now considered long! This is bull. That's $6-$7 an hour of play, plus taxes. Movies are cheaper. Movies. At the theatre. Where they make you pay a premium for 3D when you don't even want to see it in 3D but they aren't showing the 2D version so they can fuck you over and get more money.
60?....I don't know....maybe for a specific type of game but not something like doom or super mario bros...

this used to bother me a lot more when I had more time on my hands...now that I have a job and other interests I'm not as bothered

however I do agree in that 10 is not and should not be considered long

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Complete game sales. That is: Everything that's going into the game stays in the game, and isn't cordoned off behind some fucking paywall or online pass or whatever. You give them money, you get the game and that's it. No arm twisting bullshit.

Everything else is pretty elementary in comparison.
Mister K said:
Well, if I were to pick one... Oh, got it! You know how you could unlock different costumes for character(s) by doing tasks, rather then buying them with cash. This I want.
its funny how DLC always seems to be enough to annoy you yet not enough to justify paying for that shit....
Shymer said:
I would reintroduce a 5 minute loading time with a loading screen slowly built over an initial minute and then coloured in.
5 minutes? I have a life you know.....
Llil said:
FMV games or at least FMV cutscenes. Sure they had some really cheesy acting, but that is part of the charm. Besides, with modern games we could potentially get some really cool ones.

Loco Cycle had an FMV intro, and maybe some cutscenes as well (I'm not sure, I haven't played it), but as far as I know, that's the only one. More of that, please, and not just in silly comedy games.

I don't know...I think they died a natural and justified death...they were always a gimmick and with how graphics are now they are rather redundant

I can see it in a niche kind of appeal but not a big mainstream game since it would create a really uncomfortable disconnect between the game and the cutscenes

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I preferred the industry before all these great development teams were suddenly owned by big publishers, the shit heads we keep hearing about. I think an artist puts more heart into their work when it's truly theirs and it isn't cut up with DLC and released unfinished.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
If I had to pick one thing though it would be how when a game was released it had to be a complete game due to the lack of an online service to provide patches. When you bought a game you knew it had been tested to make sure there were fewer if any bugs and you didn't have to spend time afterwards updating it (in some cases several times per week). Imagine that nowadays, if a game like Rome 2 Total War was released when it was done, not in advance only to need many patches later. If Dead Rising 3 didn't need a massive patch not long after launch. Sure it pushes back the release but it saves the consumer time.
Daggerfall (1996) was literally impossible to complete at release. This isn't really that new. I guess it's new for big budget console games, but PC games and smaller console games have always had these problems.

Either way it needs to stop.

IndomitableSam said:
When on earth was 60 considered the norm?! I play older games all the time - it's most of what I buy because I don't have much money - and I can barely think of *any* that have taken me 60 hours to beat the main story. In fact, I can't think of a single none-RPG, ever, that took 60 hours to beat, even with side content. Plenty of games can exceed that playtime, but that's because they're fun enough that you keep playing them, not because it took 60 hours to get to the ending.

OT: I'd like to see games focus LESS on story again. Contrary to what many seem to believe, older games typically had much less story than their modern counterparts. The reason you remember older stories fondly is because older games only had a story when they actually had one to tell. Nowadays it seems like you aren't allowed to release a game without a bunch of cut-scenes and scripted sequences feeding you a mediocre plot. I'd much rather most action games forget story and just focus all of their efforts on the gameplay. Heck, I'd like to see more RPGs do this, too. Too many RPGs with shit or mediocre mechanics get by on being story-driven and "cinematic." I wish more of them would take the Spiderweb model where they're hardly devoid of plot (in fact, the plots can be very good) but you never really stop playing, either.

Oh, and RPGs with real-time action based combat can either fuck off and die or learn to do it well.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Vault101 said:
its funny how DLC always seems to be enough to annoy you yet not enough to justify paying for that shit....
Mostly because what they charge for is ancillary crap. Skins, guns, etc.
There's scenarios too, of course, and some of those I've been pleased with: Borderlands 2's scenario DLC turned out great, but that's definitely the exception; overall, I'd much rather just have a guarantee that the game is sold complete and not have to deal with it past that.

Though I'm pretty sure most companies only charge for ancillary stuff because I don't think even the worst of the lot are ready to try and sell a game where something essential like the ending or end game mechanic is stuck behind a paywall.

Hypothetically, could you imagine what would have happened if say, EA made a game with a mediocre or "bad" ending, and charged real money so you could play a scenario that alters it to be the good ending?

ASIDE: Oh, and because I missed doing so before...
Welcome back, Vault 101.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Shymer said:
I would reintroduce a 5 minute loading time with a loading screen slowly built over an initial minute and then coloured in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EfycbDhiw

It certainly made you appreciate the game when you finally got there.
thats quite the troll you have there son.

OT: I'd wager that i would bring anything back since i didn?t really get into gaming until the ps2 era. Although my first game was C&C 1. Though most people forget about that game and indeed genre. So i guess if i had to bring something back it would be the RTS genre.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
There is very little that we can not do better nowadays. Sadly, we rarely do.
Except for graphics and we are slowly getting to have a variety of different art styles, yay!

It's a rather broad topic, most of things that where nice back then aren't gone, they are just being done too rarely.
There are hard games, arguably too few but personally i'd recommend to learn to challenge yourself. I often find myself sneaking in the modern fallout games and even dreading to be caught for very little reason, i can punch deathclaw so hard that their name would be more appropriate if you replaced the "th" with a "d".
There are different art styles but again, too few.
There are even some people around who wont attempt to rip you off and again, too few.

BakedSardine

Dec 3, 2013
The idea of limited lives should be brought back - there is an inherent satisfaction that you get in finishing a game with a limited number of lives and it alters they way you play. Of course, this should be coupled with "secret codes" that allow unlimited lives or exploits like the Super Mario Bros. infinite 1-UP trick.

Byte2222

Jul 2, 2012
As previously observed, there's a lot to take your pick from. For me, though:

Runner up: art direction. I'm not talking about graphics but rather bright colours and designs that don't spell it out for the player

My choice: simple challenge. When you only have a d-pad and two buttons there are no excuses and I rarely feel challenged by modern games.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Vault101 said:
Llil said:
FMV games or at least FMV cutscenes. Sure they had some really cheesy acting, but that is part of the charm. Besides, with modern games we could potentially get some really cool ones.

Loco Cycle had an FMV intro, and maybe some cutscenes as well (I'm not sure, I haven't played it), but as far as I know, that's the only one. More of that, please, and not just in silly comedy games.

I don't know...I think they died a natural and justified death...they were always a gimmick and with how graphics are now they are rather redundant

I can see it in a niche kind of appeal but not a big mainstream game since it would create a really uncomfortable disconnect between the game and the cutscenes
Games that go for the photorealistic graphics wouldn't benefit much from FMV anymore, but they could fit in games that have a more stylised look. Adventure games in the style of Tex Murphy or Phantasmagoria could also work really well.

And maybe something like the Wing Commander games, where you don't really see the other people outside of cutscenes and the little dialogue boxes when they talk to you during missions. That way there wouldn't be a disconnect, because the in game graphics are just the space ships and stuff like that.

I genuinely think games could still do cool and interesting things with FMV. It would probably have to be some indie developer that does it, but that's fine.