If you could choose any name, who would you be right now?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Considering I don't have an English name, I'd love an opportunity like this. Having said that, I'd have no idea what to change it to >.> Funnily enough I know what I'd call myself if I was a girl and that'd be either Eliza or Vera.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Aleister. Who doesn't want to be named after a sociopathic hedonist who left a trail of destruction so epic he actually becomes an idol for the occult world.

I'd also love the full name Sun Kill Moon, but that's just being a tad too crazy :(

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Wow, no-one's pulled the "Tali'Zorah" joke yet?

I'm actually ok with my name. Can't think of anything I'd rather have but that's as much due to feeling that any name I might pick would feel like too much of a fad choice to be something I'd actually want to stick with forevermore.

Plus with the names my parents gave me I already have a ton of options available for what I can be called without having to actually change anything.

Fun fact: if I'd have been a girl I'd have been Alexandra Elizabeth, so tons of options there too. My parents are so pragmatic.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
While I am fond of my name right now, if I do have a son at one point I and if I could travel back in time to give myself a name. It would be Gabriel, why? Well it is the only Archangel with a name that sounds pretty good for someone, I am rather fond of that name too.

For last name, fine with that, can't really go back to change my whole family ... unless I can go RIGHT back to the start and make it "Angel". XD
Other then that, my middle name would be ... I dunno, Storm, Lightning or something I love. :p

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I'd go with an old Norse name, for the reasons that I am Scandinavian and look like a proper Viking.
Problem is many of them sound really weird in modern Swedish since a shitload of them end with an r(like Geirlaugr), where we'd never put them today, and contain letters only Icelanders can pronounce. Many are in use today, thanks to a revival during the early 19th century iirc, but lots of them will probably die out for a while with the senior generation. Some of the names are considered old people names by now.

Eh, I'd probably go with Torbjörn(Thor + Bear = Badass), but that's what I'm considering naming a potential son.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I'm quite comfortable with the name Damien. Though, the jokes get old. No, your reference to my name being in The Omen is not original, stop it, all of you.

I've tried thinking of other names I would have enjoyed having, but none come to mind.
I like the name Aiden, but I wouldn't want to change my name to Aiden, just because I feel like I have such an identity with the name Damien.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I thought about this once - my scenario was that I'm under Witness Protection and I HAVE to change my name. Obviously I'd have to change my full name but I was only thinking about my first name at the time.

The only I finally decided on was Issac. I don't know why but I really like it :) Its what I'd love to name my first son if I have one.

But now it can be ANYTHING? I was avoiding stupid names (even though I am through school now, there are other issues with them) but guaranteed no unfair judgements about it? ...Damn... I'll need more time to think about that 0.0 Nothing springs to mind immediately... except maybe Auron :D

Not that Auron is a truly ridiculous name but it's kinda out there...

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
I've been waiting for a thread like this >:D

'Jack' is an alright name but faaaar to common.
If I could choose any name... "Malkior". I've got a soft spot for both wizardy sounding names and ones that start with a 'W'.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I'll be boring and stick to my current name, Allan, because it's uncommon enough where I live that it's more special, and it has a nice ring to it.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
At this point in time, I'd be going with Arakasi. People tend to think it sounds too 'webooie' but considering I got it from a fantasy book, I really don't see it that way. I, like the OP, have absolutely no connection to my real name, I'd even go as far as to say that I don't really like it.

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
This was probably not the response you had in mind, but mine would be Kenny, or rather, Kenneth with the nickname Kenny. Due to a typo I made almost a decade ago on a social site, Kenie became my online name and as such is the name that almost anyone I have yet to met in real life knows me under. Some of my real life friends and partners even call me that from time to time, though they are in the vast minority. I feel very connected to this name not only because I've had it for so long, but because it represent a part of my life that is usually fairly invisible; the fact that I'm genderqueer, leaning towards male. I've never been particularly feminine but through my teenage years I learned how to be just that really well, because no one ever took me serious as a 'butch' since I have a very feminine face and am both short and sorta plump (read: big boobs and wide hips). When I'm Kenie I get to be the site of me that I've learned to repress so well, and it is extremely liberating. So that is the name I would go with.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
My actual name is Lucien. I hate it, because it's french and i'm black. My parents gave me that name so it would be easier for me to intergrate in Quebec . My parents immigrated here years ago. Thing is, it's a french name even french people don't use, and whrn pronounced in english, it sounds like a girls name. So my nickname ( with the few english folk in Quebec) is Luchin, or Lucifer. If i could change my name i'm definately choosing Lucifer.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
I wouldn't change anything about it, I like my name. There's certainly cooler sounding names out there, but this is the name I've went by for 31 years now, and it is imbued with my history and personality. Whenever someone calls it out they're not just calling my name, they're calling me. And no other name will ever have that same effect.
Same for me. I have no reason for complaining about my first name, so I never thought about it. I'm named after the Christian patron saint of travelers and after Alexander the Great, and I value the meaning, its reference to the two perhaps most important roots of western culture with Christianity and Ancient Greece, and the weight of some 2000 years of history behind those names. Even though I'm agnostic and I'm fully aware that Alexander is an ambiguous figure. I used to like the fact that I share my first name with (the German spelling of) Christopher Columbus too, but after learning that, on top of not only discovering America just by accident and not even being the first European to do so, not by ~500 years, he also treated the native American population awfully, I can't bring myself to like this association anymore.

My family name doesn't have a very pleasant sound to it, and I don't feel too attached to my father's branch of the family either, but to reject this part of my heritage, my roots, my identity? No. Besides, I've got no better idea anyway. I used to think that I might adopt the name of my future wife (who I have yet to meet) if it's a really nice one, but when it comes down to it in the end... Since I would never ask the same of her, for the very same reasons, I'm not sure if I'd be really that open to this idea when it comes down to it.

Eamar said:
I'll go first: my real name is Emma, and I've never particularly liked or felt connected to it. That could be because it's an insanely common name for women my age in the UK, but it's just never really felt like it's 'mine,' so I've always loved the idea of making up my own name, which is why I'd choose Eämar (pronounced AY-a-mar). It's a Quenya name I made up for myself many years ago, and I've grown very fond of it. It goes without saying that I'm a total Tolkien freak and completely in love with the Elvish languages, and that Tolkien is very important to me. The name was an attempt to create a sort of Elvish equivalent to my real name - it looks and sounds a little like Emma, and is a combination of the words eär (sea) and amar (earth). Because Emma means 'whole' or 'universal,' I thought combining those two words would be a decent way of getting the same sort of idea across.

In my head, I actually kind of think of Eämar as my 'real' name nowadays, though I never use it IRL. I certainly feel more connected to it than to Emma.
I want to ask you an honest, non-judgmental question: Do you, as a human being, genuinely feel more connected to a fictional name that is not human, decidedly not human, than to your actual human name?

I was a big Tolkien fan as teenager, and while wouldn't call me that anymore, I still have a profound fondness for Middle Earth, for shallower (e.g. swords are cool) and deeper reasons (e.g. what Tolkien tells about the human condition). And I am asking you this question with precisely this deeper reason in brackets in mind:
Tolkien's narrative is, among other things, so profoundly about the place of humans, of us, in his and our world, of our shortcomings, our longings, our ambitions, our past and future and, centrally, our mortality. Sure, the elves are pretty cool, but being immortal, their experience of live is so fundamentally different from ours, which certainly is one of the main reasons they were created in the first place: to contrast, to highlight our own mortality. So when I pictured myself, as a boy, as some hero in Middle-Earth in my daydreams, I have always been a human. I wanted to be a hero, sure, but I wanted to be a hero of, and for, my people. I didn't want to live forever, but do the best with the time that was given to me (and realizing that spending hours in a forum debating about how someone I don't know names his child is hardly the best use of this precious time is not a happy feeling). Now I'm a bit older and am not doing that anymore, but intellectually, I would still have a hard time connecting, identifying with elves, perhaps I just experienced the stories, thought about them, in a different way.
From that perspective, to get back to the thread that inspired yours for a second, I'd say it is at least more fitting to give your child a Quarian name instead of, uhm, Liara T'Soni, as the story of the Quarians is a deeply human one, and could be, for all intents and purposes, pretty much told with humans instead as well, whereas the Asari experience is distinctively not human.

Anyway, I think Emma is a beautiful name. It has a nice sound, it's short, you won't have to explain the spelling to anyone, and nobody will ever have any troubles with it, not even abroad.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
My name's Gage which is cool and rare enough not to want to change it, but I think I might want to change my last name to "Olah", my mother's maiden name. It's not exactly rare (well, in hungary anyway), but I like the shortness of it and how it works. Then again, I don't want to change my signature anyway, so maybe not.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Even though my full first name (Jonathan) is a bit too long for my liking, I quite like it now. Didn't use to, mind. But I'm that used to being called Jon, Jonny or anything beginning with J, I don't mind it that much any more. So I'd probably just stick with my own name.
Though, I do quite like the name Robert. I might pick that...

No, after thinking about it, I'd stick with my name.

[sub][sub]Is it weird that I'd find it easier to answer this question if it was 'What would you call yourself if you were the opposite gender?'[/sub][/sub]

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Jharry5 said:
[sub][sub]Is it weird that I'd find it easier to answer this question if it was 'What would you call yourself if you were the opposite gender?'[/sub][/sub]
Well, if you're straight you're more likely to notice and remember beautiful names of the opposite gender, especially if there's also a beautiful person behind the name, so, no.
I'd have some ideas on how I'd want to name my future daughters, but my sons, that'd be more difficult.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
CloudAtlas said:
Jharry5 said:
Well, if you're straight you're more likely to notice and remember beautiful names of the opposite gender, especially if there's also a beautiful person behind the name, so, no.
I'd have some ideas on how I'd want to name my future daughters, but my sons, that'd be more difficult.
Huh. Well, when you put it like that, makes me feel a little silly for typing it in the first place.

& I'm the same when it comes to future children; couple of names lined up for daughters... possibly my own middle name for a son, keeping with family tradition. But other than that, I got nothing.