If you could feel no pain...

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
Yay! Apparently through a bizzare set of events, your nervous system is not longer able to register the feeling of pain anymore! Now, you can still get hurt, but other than your nervous system, every other part of your body is A okay!

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
That would suck, getting horrible injuries without even realizing it...

I'd most likely die of an infection that has been festering without my knowledge where I can't see it, like on my upper back...

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
That would be bad. Have you ever heard about how the tallest man who ever lived died? He got a blister on his foot from walking too much promoting shoes and because his legs were so long they had poor circulation, so the blister became infected and he didn't feel it until it was too late.

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
No pain is actually one of the worst things that could happen to you
You must do constant checks of your entire body, to make sure you don't have any infections or unattended scratches etc.
Plus constant blood work ups to check for other internal mishaps
It occurs in real life, it does
And it ain't fun :/

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Swollen Goat said:
I would die of something stupid like appendicitis, because I couldn't feel it. Now I'm sad. Stupid thread!!!

*runs off*
Thankfully, I'm immune to that particular malady (I've already had an appendectomy). Still, not being able to feel pain would suck hard. People forget just how helpful pain is, just like some other negative feelings like fear.

Dulled pain, especially if it's temporary, can be quite helpful, though. There are times in your life (well, only hypothetically for most of us) where pain can be a hindrance. It's certainly much easier to last through a fight while drunk, though you also fight worse... trade off.

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
If my nervous system wasn't able to register the feeling of pain anymore I'd commit suicide.
I'd have less reasons to live as I want my nerves to work[1] and without feeling any pain I'd have the - not exactly courage but - 'lack of fear' to do it.

1. "your nervous system is not longer able to register the feeling of pain anymore", do you mean that it can register other feelings? That it isn't completely broken?

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Rather than side with the pessimists I'd go with a friend to some stupidly over-the-top security building with lasers like in MGS, say "Hey watch this!" Charge through and then spin around and be like "Crap forgot my bag" and run all the way back again.

Why? I dunno, seems like fun.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Then I'd seek medical help as soon as possible as loss of sensation is usually a symptom of a much more serious condition that could leave me paralysed or even kill me. Even if I was fine then I'd still want if fixed as I hear the big problem for leppers who lose sensation is how their hand get quickly torn to shreds as they never know if they are getting hurt, without EXTRA CARE you can accumulate horrible damage with burns being a major one.

Darth Caelum

Jan 21, 2010
Well, i WOULD go into a hypothetical discussion that you could get hurt in the inside buuuuuuut.....
I would Do things that would involve me getting into extremely painful circumstances but still walk away.
[sub]....or spar with my superior martial arts mate[/sub]

clutch-monkey

Jan 19, 2010
you would get leprosy.

iirc the buildup of inadvertent small wounds and burns you get end up eventually in infections, losing digits etc etc

Bluebacon

May 13, 2009
I would see the doctor. Not being able to feel pain is a serious medical condition.

After it was fixed I'd go around saying 'pennies for the ex-leper?'

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
I'd tell my ex what I really think of her!
Also I'd give myself a badass scar and say I got in a knife fight and won. >_>