If you could only play one video game ever again...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
Nobody for Undertale eh? I'd choose that, or Suikoden 2. Both left me speechless in different ways, so I'd be content with either
I absolutely love Undertale but I wouldn't pick it since its the kind of game that is emotionally draining and for me can only get worse the more I play through it. Partially since I can only bring myself to play true pacifist.

If I could include mods then Doom 2, if not then Binding of Issac: Rebirth.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
dscross said:
jademunky said:
Maybe a 5-way-tie between Baldur's Gate II, Mordheim: City of the Damned, the SNES port of the original Simcity, Morrowind or possibly Final Fantasy VI.
A 5-way tie? That's cheating. ;) Which one and why?
Aright, BGII

Just the sheer amount of content, the number of quests, side-quests, insightful character interactions, the number of ways you could build your character (or whole party), the unique quests and rewards that come to said character class, the number of enemies, boss monsters and main villain who was truly horrible and whom you were totally stoked to kill by the end.

Granted most of those things could be said of Morrowind except for the interesting characters because Bethesda is Bethesda and they have a strict policy against the creation of any memorable characters of any kind.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Worgen said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Nobody for Undertale eh? I'd choose that, or Suikoden 2. Both left me speechless in different ways, so I'd be content with either
I absolutely love Undertale but I wouldn't pick it since its the kind of game that is emotionally draining and for me can only get worse the more I play through it. Partially since I can only bring myself to play true pacifist.
I cried a little at the most optimistic way the first playthrough could end. I can't even imagine the emotional fortitude of the person playing the genocide route.

I am probably not cut out for the military.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
jademunky said:
Worgen said:
Elvis Starburst said:
I cried a little at the most optimistic way the first playthrough could end. I can't even imagine the emotional fortitude of the person playing the genocide route.

Yeah, me too. From what I understand initially its emotionally devastating but by the end the difficulty gets so high that you almost relish in their deaths. Literally becoming the monster.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
jademunky said:

Soldiers aren't heartless monsters ... it's why they spend a good time with operant conditioning to increase kill efficiency of infantry and commit to muscle memory using a firearm. Soldiers don't go around wandering about how they're going to butcher some peeps.

I mean, the sad fact of the matter is that the military prior honing an understanding of psychology used to send a whole lot of people to the battlefield who wouldn't even meaningfully take part in a battle with their rifle. Even if their survival would be improved if they did so.

Not so anymore. Western militaries are ever more improving on their understanding of psychology for transforming any recruit into an effective killer. Soldiers are not distanced to the arms race itself. The soldier over the centuries has been enhanced, remolded, and is deadlier than any other incarnation of its form in history.

It's no different from any other weapon.

But don't confuse all of this with a desire to kill. Few actually want to kill a person. That's ... pretty sickly.

Mar 30, 2010
Xprimentyl said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Xprimentyl said:
Either Morrowind (with the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions) or GTA V for me.
Despite the obscene amount of time I've poured into GTAV (admittedly more GTA:Online than GTAV), I'd go for Morrowind in a heartbeat. I'd give serious consideration to Fallout:New Vegas, but in the end Vvardenfell would win out.
And I never got the appeal of Fallout: New Vegas; I?m surprised how many people hold it in such high regard. I played it, but it didn?t make near the impact on me as its predecessor. Maybe it?s because I played it on the hardest level with the setting turned on that gave everything in your inventory weight and you had to eat and drink to survive, but a lot of it felt like a chore when compared to Fallout 3 and it?s DLC expansions. I?m sure had I played it on normal without the survival mechanic, it would have felt, at best, like ?just more Fallout 3,? which isn?t bad, but that?s credit to Fallout 3 more than anything.
See, I'm surprised how much of a glowing reception F3 got. It was far from a bad game, but it just didn't *feel* like 1&2. All of the major pieces were there, but they had been put together in a way that just felt a bit off, like the Bethesda writers had heard about Fallout but never actually played it themselves. F:NV, on the other hand, really felt like a continuation of the originals in terms of setting and tone, which is not surprising really.

With regard to the survival mode - I remember coming across a flatbed truck in Fallout 3, just northeast the Talon Company base. This truck was loaded with crates, and in each crate was a missile. Clearly, this was heavy ordinance that needed substantial horsepower to move from place to place. And I picked up those eight missiles and placed them into my back pocket, where they sat neatly alongside the 60+ other missiles I was already carrying. That never sat right with me (in fact I found it incredibly immersion-breaking) so when F:NV introduced survival mode I jumped at it. In fact, one of my major bugbears with F4 is that they've altered survival mode so it is now a difficulty setting above ludicrous difficulty, rather than being a mode toggle that will run in any difficulty setting (as in NV).

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Dragon Age: Origins. Varied origins and character builds. Many different ways to tackle the mission order. Fantastic mod support. Great characters and romances

To this day I still stumble on something I've never seen before.

Yeah. Dragon Age: Origins would be my one game.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Soldiers aren't heartless monsters ... it's why they spend a good time with operant conditioning to increase kill efficiency of infantry and commit to muscle memory using a firearm. Soldiers don't go around wandering about how they're going to butcher some peeps.
Oh, no, no I didn't mean to accidentally imply that the average soldier was an omnicidal maniac or anything. It was more of a comment on my own wussiness.

I mean, the sad fact of the matter is that the military prior honing an understanding of psychology used to send a whole lot of people to the battlefield who wouldn't even meaningfully take part in a battle with their rifle. Even if their survival would be improved if they did so.
Yeah, I remember reading a book that went into that. (possibly by Jon Ronson)

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
ESO - with the level of player modification, housing system, simply the variety of places to go, things to do, it has kept me busy for years already.

No Man's Sky - haven't played NEXT yet but I'm hearing good things about how the randomly generated worlds are far more robust than in times past. looking forward to dropping a weekend on it.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Remus said:
ESO - with the level of player modification, housing system, simply the variety of places to go, things to do, it has kept me busy for years already.

No Man's Sky - haven't played NEXT yet but I'm hearing good things about how the randomly generated worlds are far more robust than in times past. looking forward to dropping a weekend on it.
Is ESO not a multiplayer? Multiplayer games are cheating. ;)

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I'd go with Nethack.

While I haven't played it in years, it was for a very long time one of those evergreen titles that I could play whenever, wherever, and always have a good time.

I also imagine that if I were only playing one game, something where I could mess around with the source files to change things around would be a plus.

...and I would watch a whole lot more movies.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
gsilver said:
I'd go with Nethack.

While I haven't played it in years, it was for a very long time one of those evergreen titles that I could play whenever, wherever, and always have a good time.

I also imagine that if I were only playing one game, something where I could mess around with the source files to change things around would be a plus.

...and I would watch a whole lot more movies.
Yeah, but the shitty thing is you can't port over your own coded UIs even if you program the files properly into a terminal within the game. That annoys me so much. I thought it was because Ikept messing things up, soI tried it in Extensions ... nope, I coded my own themes and UI perfectly ... it's just that it turns out the base game doesn't want you doing that.

You find your source and files, try to use them, everything goes black.

Is that like a legal thing?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Oh God! I'd die. I jump between games all the time as my mood changes.

Definitely not a Soulsbourne game then. There's always that point after several hours of gaming, where every enemy's moveset is so deeply ingrained in your mind that they all just become a cakewalk. You know, that point where your body just reacts to every attack appropriately, because deep down you just know exactly when you're supposed to dodge?

I'd probably go for a 4X game, like Civilization, Colonization, or one of the Total War games, mainly because I really suck at those. It'll take years before I can even consider trying out the highest difficulty.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Anti-American Eagle said:
Morrowind. Because. Fuck. Atleast it would take a long time to see everything.
That's for sure. I have a roommate who tried to do just that. He has a strong 100% completion compulsion with every game he plays. It took him several months before he'd played a fighter class, a mage class and a thief class, joined every guild, completed every quest and finally decided that he'd done everything that there was to do in the game.

What's more is he used the game's two expansions as well. It almost came as a relief when I could finally stop hearing the sound of Cliff Racer squawking.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
sageoftruth said:
Anti-American Eagle said:
Morrowind. Because. Fuck. Atleast it would take a long time to see everything.
That's for sure. I have a roommate who tried to do just that. He has a strong 100% completion compulsion with every game he plays. It took him several months before he'd played a fighter class, a mage class and a thief class, joined every guild, completed every quest and finally decided that he'd done everything that there was to do in the game.

What's more is he used the game's two expansions as well. It almost came as a relief when I could finally stop hearing the sound of Cliff Racer squawking.
Wait.... he did this without the Cliff Racer reduction and aggro fix mods...?

Your roommate is insane. Gather your things quietly, and make your escape while you still can.