If you could rule any country other then your own, what would it be?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The anime fan inside of me said:
The Holy Empire of Britannia. "All Hail Lelouch!"
*coughs*

I'd like Australia. It's out of the way so most people forget it in the case of wars and I reckon with proper leadership I could turn it into a pretty freaking decent place to live. None of this censorship I've been hearing about for starters.

Failing that, Madagascar for its immunity to all viral infections, diseases and bacteria.

DAMN YOU MADAGASCAR!

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
PumpItUp said:
And who cares about the wilderness in Canada, it's all about the culture!
Seriously man, you avoid stereotyping Japan and then stereotype us. You ought to be a diplomat.
But seriously, if you come to Canada to see nature, you're only getting half your money's worth (assuming you paid to get here). Our cities, specifically our historical cities (Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver) are the places to see.
Also, Halifax has the most bars per city in Canada, so if you want to get drunk in comfort and style, head east, young drunk.
I don't care about Canadian culture. I live in Vancouver and have been across four provinces. I don't find anything amazing at all about it except the beautiful wilderness. The only history you'll find here is on little pedestals with writing and pictures on them and in the museums.

Oh and I don't like alcohol, I suppose that suitably rounds off my counter argument =)

edit:

Oh, I suppose there are a couple old style looking buildings that must've been around for quite a while, but all the history evaporates once you step into their gleaming, renovated interiors.
Culture is not history. Culture is how people live their lives today, their entertainment, their favorite restaurant, that neat little shop on the corner where all your friends hang out. To pass culture off as old museums and stuff is to have a closed mind.

As for renovations, what do expect them to do? Let the buildings stand until they fall? They didn't build houses nd buildings to last back then like we do now.

deletemeplease107

Oct 15, 2008
Somewhere where the economy IS NOT in the shitter..
and seeing how everything going...
How bout i open up a country on Mars, i hear it might be nice their sooon :D

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Australia probably. Or Switzerland. Although Canada is a mighty fine place to be.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
-snip-

Never mind. I guess you're right, I just remembered some things.
If you're really in a rut over Vancouver, try moving out here to Halifax. We're on the opposite end of the scale, sort of.
But at least, when developers want to shell out an old building (which they are trying to do) we yell at them for a few weeks. But don't expect anything from city council, they're the city's second biggest joke, next to "How's the weather?"

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I would take over Russia and make it cool again. Not only cool, it has the potential to be the world's #1 superpower. It's certainly big enough, has enough people, resources, etc. And it's a shame Russia is as boring and sucks as much as it does now, it was really cool and deserves to be. I don't care if its economy sucked and its people were miserable when it was the Soviet Union, atleast it was powerful and edgy and cool.

And I could definetly shape it up. It would be hard, but I would. I'd create my own government, which I suppose would be a democracy to get along with the USA and such, but I'd refine the democratic system and make it better. Give the government more power and control over business and resources and stuff. Make it less vulnerable to the whims of the idiot uneducated people. I could atleast get it 2nd or 3rd most powerful nation. In fact I'm thinking of going to Russia and starting another revolution in a bid for power. Like they haven't had enough already, right?

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
-snip-

Never mind. I guess you're right, I just remembered some things.

Ahem... *Runs away*

edit:

Anyway, I never said I discounted Canadian culture, you just got me all confrontational with your aggressive post >_>;

I mean, I never said I discounted Canadian culture in my original post. Like I said, you made me bite and I couldn't let go.
YES YOU DID!!! *prod* *prod* *prod*

Nah, I'm joking. Every city has its own culture and even if Vancouver running a bit short we've got culture to spare. And some sweet rock music.

I should really get paid to advertise for Halifax. We'd at least abate the steady flow of workers headed West. Damn you Alberta!

Healey

Apr 14, 2008
Trivun said:
Healey said:
Russia. For some reason, I want to build it back up to it's Glory Days, and make it another world power. That way, we get three super-states that may one day all declare war.
(The other two are the USA and China, by the way.)
Excuse me, what about the UK? The USA wouldn't exist without us, and fine China are getting pretty big, but Russia? Their glory days are long since gone...
I understand your perspective, but I never really think of the UK as a warmongering state. The USA has been the instigator of many wars over the past (at least) hundred years, but the UK has only ever entered wars to fulfill alliances or lend support. If a conflict like this was to break out, I imagine the European Union (and the UK, I'm unsure whether they're consider part of it) would attempt to resolve things diplomatically, rather than send in the troops. But that's beside the point.
Besides the USSR, I'd have to go with Napoleonic France. I, however, wouldn't make foolhardy attacks on countries (like Russia, with general winter).

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
Erana said:
Canada!
I wouldn't mind Japan, either, but not actually because of the games 'n such. That would just be a bonus.
I'd kinda like Switzerland, too.
*Bows down to the new Holy Empress, Erana*

I'd be glad to see a change from Queen Elizabeth.

And who cares about the games and anime, it's all about the culture :D
Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind being ruler of Canada either, it has a lot of beautiful, untouched wilderness.
My Canada.
Though I'm debating the title. Perhaps, Erana-Kahn? No, that sounds too much like an anime convent convention.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Bored Tomatoe said:
USSR circa 1964, when they were still a superpower, I would do things differently Stalin.
If I could go back in time, I'd go for Russia, around 1928. Bump off Stalin, then send someone to get rid of Hitler, and turn the USSR into a Workers Paradise. Quite how, is another question (or another thread).

If it had to be now, somewhere like Greenland, where I could start on virgin territory,