If you had the choice of being in a relationship, would you?

nunqual

Jul 18, 2010
A question posed to the community at large. Hopefully I have made it a topic that does not promote such comments like: "Never been in one, FML." I see a lot of people on this website who reject relationships entirely, and while some people have genuine reasons as to why they do not, others, I suspect, simply fall into this category because they have not had success with those who they would wish to pursue romantically or sexually. I am not here to judge, and I am not here to debate the merits of a relationship. And, to add an element of complexity, do not view this from a purely sexual viewpoint, view it also as having a companion. So, as the title states, if you had the choice of being in a relationship, would you?

Apr 28, 2008
Meh, not really. I'd rather not force it.
Not even if I could set the traits, personality, ect. Then it would be boring.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
RollForInitiative said:
I would, and currently I am, quite happily.
Yepyep. It's always nice when there's someone there but I don't jump into relationships with any old person. There has to be a connection both physically and mentally.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Hell yes, because it would be a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. [/angst]

Also, I would view it from an entirely un-sexual view point, as I've never liked it.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
No.

I don't want to be in a relationship, I think love is worthless.

EDIT: To add reason:

Relationships always in end, in death, break ups, or divorce (anyone who knows where it's from will get a high-five and a cupcake), and it will usually end in tears.

And it's expensive, and I'm a cheap bastard.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
CJ1145 said:
Sure why not.
Seriously.

OP's acting like it's a life or death situation. As long as you're happy, I don't think anyone would say no to that, unless they're a sociopath.

nunqual

Jul 18, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
No.

Disclaimer: I am not wishing to judge, I'm just curious.
Why do you think that?

Cheery Lunatic said:
CJ1145 said:
Sure why not.
Seriously.

OP's acting like it's a life or death situation. As long as you're happy, I don't think anyone would say no to that, unless they're a sociopath.
Aha, you say everyone would say yes, but already two people have refused. And as a disclaimer, I am currently in a very happy relationship, I just had to be very specific in my question so I didn't get a lot of angsty posts.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
nunqual said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
No.

Why do you think that?
I just edited my post a bit more to relieve your curiousity. Here it is:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
No.

Relationships always in end, in death, break ups, or divorce (anyone who knows where it's from will get a high-five and a cupcake), and it will usually end in tears.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
RollForInitiative said:
I would, and currently I am, quite happily.
Yepyep. It's always nice when there's someone there but I don't jump into relationships with any old person. There has to be a connection both physically and mentally.
I wholeheartedly agree. I waited several years after my last relationship before I found somebody that really piqued my interest. Quality over quantity.

nunqual

Jul 18, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
nunqual said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
No.

Why do you think that?
I just edited my post a bit more to relieve your curiousity. Here it is:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
No.

An interesting opinion. I would begin to disagree, but I'm too tired.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
As always, it would depend on the person. For the right person, of course I'd want to be in one. But I wouldn't want to be in one just for the sake of being in one.

I'm not one of those people who dates incessantly in a desperate attempt to find "the one". I'm more of "it'll happen when it happens" kind of person.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
TheYellowCellPhone said:
No.

You can use that argument to say anything is pointless.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Nope, I tried a relationship for relationship's sake, and it was doomed to failure. She was the one who left me, but I shouldn't have pretended to feel something for her in the first place.

If there was a genuine connection though, why not? It'd be nice to experience the real thing before making a judgement.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Yeah, sounds like fun. What else am I supposed to say "No, I'm a loner, no furking relationships for me"? I'm not that much of a douche... Yet.

NinjaKiwi

Jul 12, 2010
I don't think i'd give up the ability to connect with another
human being on that level for anything.

Sometimes its just nice having someone to come home to.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
No.

[...]

This. And may I say I don't want to contradict myself but I think I love you.
Nobody ever thinks about the financial sides. I don't invite people to eat, I can barely stand paying for myself!

So basically... no (<- miracles excluded). I tried it and it's really nothing for me.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
I am in a relationship and I'm shamefully looking for ways to get out so I'd have to say I wouldn't.

I'm the type of person who desperately needs their own space, gets viciously jealous over stupid reasons, and determinedly seeks out arguments. Relationships just bring out the worst in me.