if you were asked to Design a video game what whould it be about

bart56912

Jan 1, 2011
main charcter bad guys plot things that make it diffrent from all the other games
mine whould tell the story of a plane crash survivor and would be about scavinging food and trying to discover the cause of the crash and contact rescuse and its set in the hymalas (i know i dont know how to spell that) the main enimes are wild animals and shell shocked survivers

ellistoner

Jun 2, 2010
Pirate RPG. Without a doubt. But not crappy like the single one that I've played...
This one would let you choose what sort of pirate you want to be, or some sort of choice which means that i get to play as a corsair <3 <3 <3

or something like a zombie rpg, but I think that'd SUCK.

NinjazInside

Apr 12, 2011
Well can i just say that me and my mate would love to see a game combining Strategy and FPS as in one guy commands 8 AI Squads where as 4 other Humans command individual squads in an Rainbow Six fashion and they either compete against AIs or Humans.

These squads can range from Helicopters to Infantry so you could have an Tank Squad approaching your flank and the "eye in the sky" Suggests to a human player controlling a Infantry squad to hold this Tank squad up until Helicopter support arrives, This would be a secondary objective set by the Player commanding 8 AI squads and as such the Human Player in the Squad does not have to listen and can move on to the Main Objective but it helps if he does as the "Eye in the sky" advises since he can also give tactical advice on defendable locations etc. It would be quite good to set it in WW2 as well.

There wouldn't be much of a plot or we haven't thought of one atleast but you could re create battles of WW2 and re-imagine in Free Mode/ Multiplayer etc. with drop in and drop out ability as well so people can join halfway and take command of an AI squad etc.

It sounded like a good idea to me but what about you guys?

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
I'm not really sure on the specifics...but I want to make 2 sorts of games.

1. A survival horror coop game. Mostly because everyone says it can't be done. I think it can. You just have to be very careful with it. "LOL YOU HAVE FRIENDS IT CAN'T BE SCARY" is somewhat true, but if you're not looking to be scared >_> why are you playing a horror game? I think I could pull it off if I knew what I was doing, but I'm getting there. I'm not sure if I want zombies or the supernatural though. The protagonists aren't going to be high school kids. I also won't be giving lots of ammo that's for sure.

2. A cover based shooter done right, I think I could make a halfway decent cover based shooter. The setting is utterly meaningless as are the characters, because it'll involve evil guy doing soemthing bad, good guy stopping him. I'll try not to make them too annoying. Chest high walls are out, in favor of natural terrain for cover, no regenerating health, you get a medkit you brought with you. And it takes a certain amount of time to use. and some other odds and ends.

They both need fleshing out I know, but I'm just one guy learning what I'm doing first, before I flesh out my ideas XD

ellistoner

Jun 2, 2010
NinjazInside said:
Well can i just say that me and my mate would love to see a game combining Strategy and FPS as in one guy commands 8 AI Squads where as 4 other Humans command individual squads in an Rainbow Six fashion and they either compete against AIs or Humans.

These squads can range from Helicopters to Infantry so you could have an Tank Squad approaching your flank and the "eye in the sky" Suggests to a human player controlling a Infantry squad to hold this Tank squad up until Helicopter support arrives, This would be a secondary objective set by the Player commanding 8 AI squads and as such the Human Player in the Squad does not have to listen and can move on to the Main Objective but it helps if he does as the "Eye in the sky" advises since he can also give tactical advice on defendable locations etc. It would be quite good to set it in WW2 as well.

There wouldn't be much of a plot or we haven't thought of one atleast but you could re create battles of WW2 and re-imagine in Free Mode/ Multiplayer etc. with drop in and drop out ability as well so people can join halfway and take command of an AI squad etc.

That sounds pretty badass :D

Have you played Mount and Blade? It's a fairly old game, but it sounds a bit like that from what I've heard about it from my mates.

Jesusthewizard

Nov 18, 2009
Basically a fun version of Fatal Inertia the game itself sucked donkey dick due to lack of controls and unbalanced weaponry and was trying to be a little too serious for my liking

NinjazInside

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah i think i did but it's different its more just the Command a squad thing i think (thats if i am thinking of the right thing well it sounds similar). But there are no tanks XD

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
NinjazInside said:

that kind of reminds me of an idea I had while playing World in Conflict. You have say, 5 players total (humans) 1 is the commander, he uses the megamap (a huge satellite view of the battlefield) to give orders to the other 4, in which they all have specialized jobs, air, armor, infantry, and support. The commander can see everything, so he can make the informed decisions, the support guy works the artillery and sets the drop zones. Air will handle helicopters and air strikes. Armor is tanks and AA and APCs, infantry ...handles infantry. In my head it sounded really awesome. Later I figured implementing an online system would just lead to douchebaggery :( I'd love to play something like that though.

NinjazInside

Apr 12, 2011
Well me and my mate said the Humans on the ground got to choose what type they were and in an Menu Screen sort of thing customise their Squad. But yeah it probably would be hard to get a good game in multiplayer, unless you had a good working team.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
I'm... not sure. I'd steal the plot from my tabletop game wholesale, but I doubt modern videogames would be able to handle some aspects of that.

Mar 9, 2010
oplinger said:
1. A survival horror coop game. Mostly because everyone says it can't be done. I think it can. You just have to be very careful with it. "LOL YOU HAVE FRIENDS IT CAN'T BE SCARY" is somewhat true, but if you're not looking to be scared >_> why are you playing a horror game? I think I could pull it off if I knew what I was doing, but I'm getting there. I'm not sure if I want zombies or the supernatural though. The protagonists aren't going to be high school kids. I also won't be giving lots of ammo that's for sure
Very possible. Don't use traditional zombies though, they're mere cannon fodder and have been overused. Use tough enemies that appear randomly. By combining that and the lack of large amounts of ammo you can have your players caught in a challenge of killing the unexpected enemy and trap them within their own argument of who gets the med kit or who gets the shot gun shells. Damn, would you look at that, you aren't even AAA and you have someone telling you what to do.

OT: Anything really, I don't have anything in my mind for a good story. I already had a crack at piecing together a game that would have a story that is affected by all of your choices and also has a decent karma system. I started it at a bad time though, my exams are pretty much just around the corner.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
An Arcanum remake. Simple as that. Think all the glorious RPing of Arcanum, the old-fashioned freedom and exploration all completely intact, add to that a combat system akin to Fallout 3 and all that glorious Victorian-style architecture in modern graphics...oh boy.

That and a Vampire: The Masquerade-style RPG set in the world of The Dresden Files. You wouldn't be playing any of the main characters in the books, but they'd be closely involved with the storyline. Think about getting magical lessons from Dresden in the tutorial, accepting (side) missions from Murphy, teaming up with Billy and his squad, that sort of thing. It could be so awesome, especially because urban fantasy is even more underrepresented in the industry than steampunk.

Nightcraft66

Mar 22, 2011
A Western RPG, if you remember a game called 'Gun' you'll know what i'm trying to say. One mission had you attack a train, and that is what i'd want to do. Have a sandbox game like Red Dead, or Gun, and mix it with rpg aspects. Let you choose what faction you want to be with, good or evil, what class you wanted to be, some classes would specialize in combat (gun combat, melee an horseback combat) and some would specialize in professions and skills (mining, cooking, skinning/hunting) if you were a class that specialized in certain skills (for instance: a Frontiersmen class that specialized in hunting/gathering skills) you would benefit strongly at certain things like gaining money and trading with other players. But if you were a combat focused class you would benefit strongly at things like pvp, raiding and instances ect. Have things going on all the time, like trains constantly travelling the world, and different factions owning different trade routes. This combined with global pvp would make 'gang wars' so much fun, one faction attacking another faction's trade routes and forts. Make it like Red Dead, so you can use vehicles and cannons along with freedom to ride a horse over the entire map.
tl;dr? In the simplest form I can give: RDR Free-roam but an rpg... and bigger, with rainbow unicorns.

killian ae

Jan 15, 2011
I don't think that we should be putting are ideas for games on a gaming website. Chances are someone who regularly visits this website will most lightly get involved in the game industry. And he or she(probably he) might subconsciously steal your idea with out knowing it. Or they may just rip you off ether way someone's getting sued.

Nightcraft66

Mar 22, 2011
killian ae said:
I don't think that we should be putting are ideas for games on a gaming website. Chances are someone who regularly visits this website will most lightly get involved in the game industry. And he or she(probably he) might subconsciously steal your idea with out knowing it. Or they may just rip you off ether way someone's getting sued.
And the person's dream game will become a reality? I see no problem here.
All ideas are public domain my good sir.

alexxcodered

Feb 3, 2011
bart56912 said:
main charcter bad guys plot things that make it diffrent from all the other games
mine whould tell the story of a plane crash survivor and would be about scavinging food and trying to discover the cause of the crash and contact rescuse and its set in the hymalas (i know i dont know how to spell that) the main enimes are wild animals and shell shocked survivers
so lost then

alexxcodered

Feb 3, 2011
i have an idea for a mechanic, albeit not a game.
how about you have energy like in crysis, but as you use guns, intead of firing bullets, they fire plasma thatt uses some of your shields. it will mean that the persor with a pistol who makes every shot count will be a walking tank, whereas the machine gun toting action idiots will be gunned down in an instant.