IGN Gives Uncharted 3 a 10 out of 10

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Source here:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1210241p1.html

I was just curious as to your thoughts on this? I don't doubt the legitimacy of this review, because I know Uncharted is certainly a series that can pull a score like that off. And IGN has even said 10/10 does not mean a perfect game to them, it means a game as close to perfection as games get.

I take reviewer scores with a grain of salt, but a 10/10 has got to mean a game is at least worth looking at right? Well, I was planning on picking this up soon anyway. Let me know what you all think.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Meh, story. Meh, gameplay. Meh, game.
that's what Uncharted is to me, not really anything special...

AngryPants

Oct 6, 2011
Just another TPS with high production values, if that's your thing then why not. All the games feel the same for the last... 6 years or so, Uncharted is no exception (rented first and second).

Extasii

May 22, 2009
Mechanix said:
After seeing their El Shaddai review, I can't trust them at all really.
Go to Metacritic for a bit more realistic of an outlook of a game.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
I posted this back in the Battlefield reviews thread, and I think it's still appropo.

GaltarDude1138 said:
The only opinion that matters is your own.

If you haven't played the game, you have no opinion. There's a difference between reading about someone else's experience with a game and actually playing the game. All I'm gonna say.
But allow me to say something in addition to that: While your opinion is the one that matters in relation to how good a game is, by direct insinuation, then mainstream review scores are meaningless. You could also say that reviews are worse than meaningless, because they can tend to spoil the experience by shedding light on things you'd rather be surprised by.

Now to the publishers and developers, review scores mean the world to them. Publishers know review scores are wielders of public opinion and can make/break the success of the game they just shipped and the developers have the life beaten out of them that they don't know the meaning of the word 'fun' anymore. So instead of an official message board where they ask all 1,000,000 people who've played their game what they think of it, they can gauge the average reaction of a well-read (well-played?) gamer.

My point is, just because some facet means the world to the big guys who deliver the game, the more important facet as a consumer is to know a good game from a bad game from EXPERIENCING such things. Not relying so heavily on reviews that you never cut yourself off or dull the surprise of a new experience a new game can deliver.

Hope this makes sense.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
PowCoJG said:
Mechanix said:
After seeing their El Shaddai review, I can't trust them at all really.
Go to Metacritic for a bit more realistic of an outlook of a game.
You mean this [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/uncharted-3-drakes-deception]? 40 positive reviews with 13 of them being perfect scores? Right, that reveiwer is so untrustworthy.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
I read that as "Uncharted get's 3/10 from IGN"

Looks very good, but I'm poor after pre-ordering Arkham City and Battlefield 3. With those and Skyrim I doubt I will be able to get it until next year.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
A highly anticipated "AAA" game getting a high score from a gaming website! color me surprised, gobsmacked, flabbergasted, or any other word that can describe general shock.

Seriously though, this doesn't come as a surprise at all, I can respect the whole people got opinions thing and all that jazz, but lately I just don't pay attention to reviews, they spoil the fun and despite my best efforts color my opinion on the game.

I've gotten to the point where I don't read reviews of games, and let my own judgement on whether or not any particular game that caters towards my preferred play style, or if it just too intriguing to pass up, decide whether or not I'll purchase something.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I did not expect the first few posts to be ignoring the quality of these games. But okay.

I love Uncharted. I love Uncharted. I am psyched for the third one, and this encourages me quite a bit. Looking forward to it immensely.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
darkstone said:
A highly anticipated "AAA" game getting a high score from a gaming website! color me surprised, gobsmacked, flabbergasted, or any other word that can describe general shock.
Basically this. Did anyone really expect it to get below an 8/10 at the absolute minimum? It's one of the 'flagship' exclusives for the PS3 with two highly acclaimed games before it. Now if they'd given it a 3/10 as I first read when I glanced at the thread title...that would be interesting.

I admit, I enjoy the Uncharted games. I just wish Nathan Drake wasn't so unlikeable. Him being beaten, bruised and burned in Uncharted 2 was actually a high point of the series for me. I'm not sure if the developers meant those scenes to evoke that reaction (probably not), but it's what it got out of me.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
It's already pre-ordered and paid for, so reviews won't change anything (not that they would even if I hadn't preordered). But this (and all other reviews) makes me even more psyched for the game. I just replayed through both previous games in preparation for this. I simply can't wait.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Its not on par with MGS4, IGNs only other 10/10 game. Its nowhere near as innovative, the gameplay is nowhere near as skillfull. Its cinematic yes, and the voice acting is amazing, but on par with MGS4? Hehe, no. Fun games all of them but not 10/10BESTGAMEEVARlol

Its IGN, they're the douchey slime of the gaming industry.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
darkstone said:
Well, I agree, now I don't have to say anything else except for the long sentence which I am typing now to make this comment bigger then it should be so I don't get Reported for lack of content.

Yes I agree 100% with Dark Stone, Triple A games will always, ALWAYS get 9 out of 10s even if just for the hype.

Mar 26, 2008
Don Savik said:
Its not on par with MGS4, IGNs only other 10/10 game. Its nowhere near as innovative, the gameplay is nowhere near as skillfull. Its cinematic yes, and the voice acting is amazing, but on par with MGS4? Hehe, no. Fun games all of them but not 10/10BESTGAMEEVARlol
It is one thing that MGS4 is not, and that's fun. I've finished both MGS4 and UC2 and I'd describe finishing the former as torturous. That's not to say it isn't a great game, but if I got sent to hell and had to play one of them over and over again, it's UC2 without question.

I'm expecting UC3 to be a rip-roaring ride for as long as it lasts, maybe even genre-defining; but 10/10? Please. Even if it was a crapload better than UC2 (which was great) it still wouldn't be worthy of a 10. Close, but no cigar.

IGN are just full of hyperbole.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well I can't comment on Uncharted 3 since I've never gotten into that series, but I will say that I don't trust any reviews from IGN, Gamespot, or the like 'cause I'm fairly certain all their reviewers are bought off.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
None too surprising. Greg Miller has been a massive fan of the series since day 1. If it got anything less than a 9.5 from him, I would be shocked.

Anyway, still excited for the game. Even if it is just as good as the original, it will be awesome. I don't dare hope that it is as good as the sequel (which I doubt it is), but it looks like it will be a blast nonetheless. Now, to get the $120 plus tax for this and Arkham City...