I'm a bit confused about Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Wilfy

Oct 4, 2008
I was just re-watching series 6 this weekend and I've noticed something. As far as I understand, the Doctor was supposed to die in the 60's, by the lake Silencio. But the data for him said he would die on 22/04/11.

Have I missed something here, because I'm honestly pretty baffled.

Psytrese

Jul 14, 2010
It's his personal timeline. It is 2011 to the Doctor, regardless of what specific year he is currently visiting. Hence, why he couldn't "outrun" it, and travel to a different time.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
When was he supposed to die in the 60's? They went back to the 60's after the business at Lake Silencio. Hence why the Agent (I forget his name) is an old man who they've never met when the Doctor gets shot then they go back in time when he's young and meet him for the first time.

God only knows why you think he was supposed to die in the 60's.

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
Well seeing as Amy and Rory were there without travelling in the TARDIS then I'd assume that it was correct and it was in our present (when it aired). They then travelled back from there

Wilfy

Oct 4, 2008
Kurai Angelo said:
When was he supposed to die in the 60's? They went back to the 60's after the business at Lake Silencio. Hence why the Agent (I forget his name) is an old man who they've never met when the Doctor gets shot then they go back in time when he's young and meet him for the first time.

Oh shit, I never clicked that the old man was him! That makes a hell of a lot more sense now.
Cameron1992 said:
Well seeing as Amy and Rory were there without travelling in the TARDIS then I'd assume that it was correct and it was in our present (when it aired). They then travelled back from there
And good point, I totally forgot about the lack of TARDIS.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Wilfy said:
Kurai Angelo said:

Oh shit, I never clicked that the old man was him! That makes a hell of a lot more sense now.
Cameron1992 said:
And good point, I totally forgot about the lack of TARDIS.
You're quite welcome :p

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
That still doesn't explain the myriad other plot holes though!

Let's move onto them now!

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Heres a better one, WHY DID THE TARDIS EXPLODE!
The guy whos in charge now claimed everything would be answered by the end of this series, but he seems to be either doing a lost and neve answering anything to drag out the storylines length, or hes jsut hoping you forgot about all the questions he keeps raising.

But considering how flimsy the storys of series 6 were, i probably shouldnt be surprised how flimsy the so called over arching storyline is, when its even refered to.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
dickywebster said:
Someone wanted it to.

I think it was Omega, a banished/possibly killed Time Lord from the old series. There was a rumour going around during series 5 that Omega would return, but when he didn't it was sorta forgotten about. It was theorised that it was his voice you heard before the TARDIS explode, the one that said "Silence will fall." Now in this season (and some of last season, there have been a few shots where Omega symbols have been onscreen. The most obvious one is on River's soldier gear - on her shoulder, where military symbols usually are - during the Crash of the Byzantium and you can see it again when she appears at the end of The Wedding of River Song.

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
dickywebster said:
I must admit, I was wondering about this too, up until I realised recently that actually, the Tardis didn't explode, so no explanation for that is technically required in-universe. What's really mindscrew is realising that Amy somehow managed to wish a non-exploding Tardis back into reality when in fact the Tardis that was removed from reality was in fact an exploding one and the Rory that was wished back into reality in the form of a centurion robot was actually the real Rory oh god this sentence made sense at first

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Disaster Button said:
dickywebster said:
Someone wanted it to.

I think it was Omega, a banished/possibly killed Time Lord from the old series. There was a rumour going around during series 5 that Omega would return, but when he didn't it was sorta forgotten about. It was theorised that it was his voice you heard before the TARDIS explode, the one that said "Silence will fall." Now in this season (and some of last season, there have been a few shots where Omega symbols have been onscreen. The most obvious one is on River's soldier gear - on her shoulder, where military symbols usually are - during the Crash of the Byzantium and you can see it again when she appears at the end of The Wedding of River Song.
Yeah i heard those rumours, but i dismissed them as i found it hard to find anyone who knew about him besides me (i grew up on the old ones and have most of them on dvd), so assumed they wouldnt bring back someone that obscure who if i remember got trapped in a pocket dimension or something, its been a while.
I also heard theories about demons or the destroyer or one of the other god like enemies from the old ones.
Or that one who was like the dreamlord from the new series but powerful and with a less lame ending, i forget his name atm.
The one i was hoping for just out of fandom was the toymaker (i think thats his name at least)
Heck theres a small list from the long history of doctor who to choose from, omega is probably the most likely, but there could be something new that they just wont get around to revealing anytime soon.
But even if hes just kinda ignoring it or putting off telling about it, itd be nice to know, not have him claim it would be explained this series which it never was...

Sorry for the slight ramble there =P

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Indeterminacy said:
dickywebster said:
I must admit, I was wondering about this too, up until I realised recently that actually, the Tardis didn't explode, so no explanation for that is technically required in-universe. What's really mindscrew is realising that Amy somehow managed to wish a non-exploding Tardis back into reality when in fact the Tardis that was removed from reality was in fact an exploding one and the Rory that was wished back into reality in the form of a centurion robot was actually the real Rory oh god this sentence made sense at first
Yeah the end of series 5 kinda stopped making sense when the doctor jsut wished everything back to normal and no one questioned why it happened in the first place...
But as someone else pointed out, theres a voice thats heard, the tardis does explode probably at the will of someone, even if its reversed.
But it seems to be one of a pile of questions that just arent been answered.
Heck i only finished series 6 on the promise of the explosion been explained, idk if ill bother with 7.
Mind you, at this rate no one will be able to understand what the heck is going on in each episode, let alone the series as a whole...

May 5, 2010
No, he died in the present and then the younger version showed up and they went back to the sixties.

Wow, people are coming with stupid explanations about "personal timelines" and shit like that. HE NEVER DIED IN THE 60'S!!!! I'm not sure why so many of you think he did.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
No, he died in the present and then the younger version showed up and they went back to the sixties.

Wow, people are coming with stupid explanations about "personal timelines" and shit like that. HE NEVER DIED IN THE 60'S!!!! I'm not sure why so many of you think he did.
You said what I was thinking! He died in the present, thats why an older Canton Delaware was there!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
dickywebster said:
Or that one who was like the dreamlord from the new series but powerful and with a less lame ending, i forget his name atm.
The Valeyard, the semi-corporal manifestation of a potential future doctor. It'd be amazing if he was brought in as a villain.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
WolfThomas said:
dickywebster said:
The Valeyard, the semi-corporal manifestation of a potential future doctor. It'd be amazing if he was brought in as a villain.
Oh yeah him! :D
Actually flicking through my collection and books, theres literally dozens it could be, reality altering beings seem to be dime a dozen in that universe at times, until the doctor turns up anyway.