I'M AN ADUUUUUUUUUUUUULT!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So, today (or yesterday rather, if you want to be technical) I opened up my very first bank account! That's something one considers an adult thing, and seeing as I'm still young and inexperienced, this was a bit of a big deal and exciting to me because "OMG, so adult."

So, if that sleep deprived, probably incoherent story didn't help explain the topic to you, here it is straight: what things have you done early on in adulthood that made you feel like an adult?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
This is relevant:

Opening a bank account and getting a credit card. I'M AN ADULT!

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
The first time I ever told my Dad straight to his face after a direct (and stern) order: "no."

I mean, I had obviously defied my parents before. Who hasn't? But I've almost always gone behind their backs or was whining or something. But this... OH MAN. My dad for a split second looked like he was about to kill me, and I for a split second thought I was about to die. But I met his gaze firmly the whole time and he, amazingly, just backed down. It was a pretty empowering moment for me, considering I had only just turned 18 and I was still living with my parents at the time.

I know it doesn't sound all that impressive, and it probably isn't considering I WAS 18 when I said it, but from then on the dynamic between me and my parents shifted dramatically. They're good parents and I love them, but now that I've moved out, I don't think I could ever stand to live with them again.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Nothing. I'm 27 now and about to move into my first residence and I don't honestly feel like an adult.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I've got a few:

Getting the title to my first car.

Buying my first gun.

Opening my first bank account.

Having a beer with one of my college professors.

Buying a suit, and wearing a suit to my first job interview. Now if only I could get a job...

Also, this is probably accurate for many people here:

But not for me, since I've never had a facebook! :D

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ah, the Amarao statement of adulthood. Check him for big eyebrows!

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Got my full drivers license a few months ago, made me feel kind of grown up.
Up next is getting a car that isn't my parents', and getting a job.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
When I was still in high school, but 18, I was on a conference call with the national leadership of CPUSA. That felt more mature than what I was used to. Didn't get anything accomplished on that call, but it was interesting then.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Being gainfully employed.
Owning first car.
Owning first home. Also, writing a check for in excess of $10,000 in making down payment on said home.
Acquiring first credit card.
Owning second, *much* nicer car. Technically I'm still making payments, which is an adult thing in and of itself.
No longer understanding or caring about modern music. 99% of it, anyway.
Having first legal alcoholic drink.
Realizing I still did not like the taste of alcohol. Realizing choosing NOT to drink was every bit as legitimate as drinking.
Doing my own taxes for the first time.
Making enough to actually have to file taxes.
Reading classic literature...and enjoying it.
Doing home repair. Even something as simple as replacing a shower head.
Feeling perfectly justified in telling people, "Fuck off, it's MY life."
Becoming a manager at work. Making decisions about hiring/firing, procedures, etc.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010

Well I just hit 25 years on this God forsaken rock three hours ago... It's actually been quite a bummer, reality check. I'm a 25 year old cashier at a grocery store. Sure I'm graduating college this semester but it's just the idea. It's also been weighing on my mind that 25 years old use to be a whole life time... and hell even if I live to be hundred, 25 years is nothing to sneeze at.

And yet I feel so ancient... And considering all the shit going on in my life right now, I almost feel I've lived to long.

I suppose in terms of the topic, very soon I will be expected to do something with my life... God what a fucking notion, to live my life with out having to go to a class.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I got my driver's license a few months ago, and I felt so grown-up. :D

Same with getting a full-time summer job last summer.

Some of the classic milestones were wrecked for me because I was a weird kid with weird circumstances (first drink at eight because Dad made wines for a while, and I discovered that I don't like alcohol; got a job at age 13; did my taxes as a teen "for practice"; got a credit card at 15, etc.).

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
You only got your first bank account at 21?
What did you do before that?

I suppose moving out of my parents home, working and paying all of my own bills was when I felt the most adult.
I got a job at 17, moved out for university at 17 and was basically financially independent at 20. I was paying for most things myself by 17/18 but I needed help with large bills because I was only working part time.
I've backslid a bit since because I went back to university for a year so I need a little bit of financial help as my savings have just run out.

I still don't feel like an adult even though I haven't lived at home for 5 years.
I feel like an imposter.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Well I suppose knocking out my abusive father and abandoning that side of my family. Left me in a desolate situation financially though, can't afford an education even though my grandparents are millionaires. They legitimately think I'm a crackhead and refuse to support me, thanks dad.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
I still don't feel like an adult even though I haven't lived at home for 5 years.
I feel like an imposter.
Same, I've been away from home for 12 years now. Two months ago I spent over Ā£10k on a deposit to buy a home, which has been the most growed up thing I've ever done. I still feel as if my development is arrested.

Buying my Dad a pint in a bar at 18 was a great feeling. I find it a bit odd the whole bank account thing too as I've had one longer than I can remember; I unearthed a savings account earlier this year that I'd had since I was about 12..!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Driving a car. Yeah, they actually let me drive a car. Now that I've passed my test, all I need to do is get one and see how long I can go before I crash it :-D

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Colour Scientist said:
I feel like an imposter.
I don't think anyone ever truly feels like an adult. We're all bumbling through life pretending like we know what we're doing and hoping that no one catches on.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I can't really say opening a bank account since my mum opened one for me when I was 11.

I do remember the feeling when I first voted though and when I passed my driving test, or when I bought my first beer in a pub.

Also you're an adult if when it starts snowing you go "Ah shit, travelings going to be a bit hard," instead of "OMFG IT's SNOWIIIING!!!!"

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
Joining the Air Force at 17 ( I graduated High School at 16) and going to Basic Training, Tech School, Heavy Weapons school and a modified Infantry training. Then moving to Germany, far, far away from everything and everyone I knew as a child. Buying my first car, voting, getting a tattoo on my 18th birthday while home on leave to visit my girlfriend. Paying taxes under my SSN instead of the family tax form.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
People asking me if i was going to vote.
Telling people i don't vote, and giving them a well thought out explination
Getting engaged
Breaking off said engagement
Shaking my boss' hand
Being hit on by women a bit younger AND much older than I
Minors calling me sir
Important people calling me sir
Getting a credit car
Preparing for retirement
No longer being afraid of rejection