I'm back, and I want to know what you want in SSB4

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, I'm back. Turns out I underestimated the value of time I'd be spending on computers per week under the cut, so I don't need to give up the Escapist after all! Sorry about making you cry over my leave.
Anyway, the topic at hand is: What do you really want to see in SSB4?
I want to see something SSB64 didn't have, something Melee appeared to but didn't have, and something Brawl barely had.
I am talking about aquatic fighting.
The ability to fight in water would be awesome and you know it. Characters could basically control the same as they did on land. You could submerge to dodge attacks, dive to the depths to allude your persecutors, and NOT FREAKING DROWN AFTER 10 SECONDS!
We could have a stage based on Bowser's tub from Super Mario Sunshine to showcase the mechanics!
We could incorporate water features into our custom stages!
We could make SSB4 pool party machinimas! Wait... we shouldn't, but we could.
And I also want the usual: more characters, better story mode, more stages, return of Mewtwo, etc.

PS: I know SOMEBODY is going to bring it up, so to make things clear: I did not troll you, I did not lie to get a load of replies to the thread, I believed every word I said when I made that post, I am sorry if my return offends you or causes any negative reaction at all, it was not my intention.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Underwater fighting seems to go against the style of fighting that has been in the series so far; the goal of which being attempting to punch your opponents off the map. Water would probably slow the fights down too much.

I'd like to see a game-mode where all the stages and characters are rendered in 8/16 bit versions of themselves, but with the same moves. That is, the same mechanics, but with a retro style!

[Edited for grammar]

Dec 14, 2009
They always come back.

Always.

OT: Honestly? I just want the combat mechanics to be a lot tighter than they were in Brawl. Brawl was far too floaty compared to Melee (which got the speed of combat pretty much spot on).

I also want better character balancing (Metaknight is a broken piece of shit).

I also want online multiplayer that actually works and has more game modes (2 minute brawls only with no other options? Bugger off).

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Mostly, It to be available on PS3 :D

But within reason, A good story mode, more 3rd party characters and FATALITYS. (just kidding).

The return of Mewtwo and Roy!

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
The only real thing I care about is cutting down on clone characters. For pete's sake they are right up there with the Soul Caliber games on their worst days. Picachu/Pichu, Fox/Falco, Mario/Dr Mario, Link/Young Link/Toon Link, Falcon/Ganondorf, Ness/Lucas. It's Just getting silly. I want a full cast of UNIQUE characters all with their own move-sets.

Captcha: "HIV/AIDS; Ootiesoe" ~??

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Klumpfot said:
Underwater fighting seems to go against the style of fighting that has been in the series so far; the goal of which being attempting to punch your opponents off the map. Water would probably slow the fights down too much.
Wow. I never thought of that. I was kinda looking forward to fighting in water, but it seems it wouldn't really be that good of an idea now. Thanks for pointing that out.

TheSuperiorXemnas

May 18, 2010
I can think of 3 things that I want in the next instalation of SSB

1.Faster Fighting
I think Melee was the best of the series because of how fast a fight can be. Brawl felt slow and uncordinated(Might need spell check on that word)without spikes, juggling, and other fighting tactics used to increase damage.

2. Better AI's
When I play free-for-all, I wasn't expecting my opponents to just slowly walk side by side and try to aim their attacks on me and "occasionally" hit somebody else.

3. Darkrai playable character
Because I'm a Darkrai fanboy.

Random Encounter

Feb 17, 2011
Water level sounds good, a zero gravity level aswell could make things interesting.

As for the story mode, I would like to see levels that mimics the other sidescrollers Nintendo makes. (Like a Donkey Kong themed level with blast barrles, minicarts etc). It could have the same theme, enimies and level design.

And since Toon link was made into a playable character, I would love to see Paper Mario in the next SSB.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
the idea of fighting underwater could work if done right. Instead of falling into the sea at say Majora's Mask stage if they make just certain sections of the map submerged in water, create pools in the stage, that we can jump into or out of. Water could work in 2 ways:
1. combat slows down and gravity is reduced
2. you continuously take damage since you can't breathe underwater, to avoid abuse max damage characters will die after 10 seconds in water
this in turn would make jumping in/out of water a strategy instead of a gimmick

as for other things besides characters and 3rd party characters I would like a create a fighter option, we unlock moves all of which have points given to them and we are given 100 points to spend on moves. We can then customize our characters, eyes, clothes, hair, etc. basic character creator stuff

re-invent clones, don't remove the character, rather remake his/her move set to make it original.

lastly DON'T REMOVE ANY STAGES!!! bring back all the old arenas from the past 3 games and make 2 arenas per character for the new game

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Honestly, the only characters on my wish list at this point are Daisy and Geno. I guess you could throw Mallow in there too, as long as I'm being a fangirl for Super Mario RPG.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
More Sonic Characters, specifically Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Robotnik.

Other third-party characters would also be nice: Mega Man, Kingdom Hearts...maybe Castlevania, or Halo, or Final Fantasy characters...

A more in-depth level creator would also be sweet.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
you know just below this thread is what you DON'T want is SSBB4? ok just checking

i think mewto (the unrecognized gem) should make an apperance

chocolatekake

Dec 22, 2010
Mouse_Crouse said:
The only real thing I care about is cutting down on clone characters. For pete's sake they are right up there with the Soul Caliber games on their worst days. Picachu/Pichu, Fox/Falco, Mario/Dr Mario, Link/Young Link/Toon Link, Falcon/Ganondorf, Ness/Lucas. It's Just getting silly. I want a full cast of UNIQUE characters all with their own move-sets.
Well they did kind of cut down the clones in Brawl. They got rid of Dr. Mario, they did a great job separating Ganondorf's and Captain Falcon's move sets and a pretty good job with Fox and Falco (to the point where I can't use Falco very well anymore). Also, I think they did a good job with Ness and Lucas because Lucas has higher knockback in his moves, which I really like. The only ones they didn't really do much to improve distinction between are Link and his clone(s), which is unfortunate.

And even in Melee, Pikachu and Pichu were very different. I couldn't stand using Pikachu, but Pichu was one of my favorite characters. I really hope they bring him back actually, more than anything else they could possibly add. He's adorable, he hurts himself by attacking...what more could you want from a character?

So, what do I want? Pichu. That's it.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
chocolatekake said:
Well they did kind of cut down the clones in Brawl. They got rid of Dr. Mario, they did a great job separating Ganondorf's and Captain Falcon's move sets and a pretty good job with Fox and Falco (to the point where I can't use Falco very well anymore). Also, I think they did a good job with Ness and Lucas because Lucas has higher knockback in his moves, which I really like. The only ones they didn't really do much to improve distinction between are Link and his clone(s), which is unfortunate.

And even in Melee, Pikachu and Pichu were very different. I couldn't stand using Pikachu, but Pichu was one of my favorite characters. I really hope they bring him back actually, more than anything else they could possibly add. He's adorable, he hurts himself by attacking...what more could you want from a character?

So, what do I want? Pichu. That's it.
To me that's just not enough of a difference. So Pichu did more damage and hurt himself... other then that he had the same move-set. And Lucas had more knockback, then make a system where you can pick different version of the same character. Because to me those slight differences are nothing.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010

Ganondwarf B-down change into Link to the past Ganon.
Gets his spear as a weapon.
Can B-up teleport including awesome sound (WAAA WAAA WAAA!)
Rapidly press B and you start spinning your spear and generate firebats.
B-forward throws his spear in a quick but weak projectile.

Final smash: Screen turns black except for the characters, and random pitfalls appear while fire bats fly around the screen. If you can stay perfectly still you won't fall, but you have to avoid bats which is hard.

If this happened, I'd buy a Wii-u just to play this game.

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
Geno, but that's a given. It's about damn time he gets into it.

Better, tighter story mode is nice. It'd be cool if only maybe half the total cast were unlockable through the story mode. SSE just giving you 90% of the characters? Kinda lame.

Ganondorf should be quicker. Not necessarily in running, but for move execution, his brutality would really come through. Also, give him one of the weapons he's wielded over the years (dual-wield in Wind Waker, or the big shiny one in Twilight Princess). Either that, or let him use big crackling energy bursts. You know, like in most of his actual appearances. What? Ganondorf is my favoritest character to play as. Well, at least he was in Melee...

Speaking of Zelda characters, I wanna see another villain. Vaati, probably.

I wanna see the Pokemon trainer use Pokemon from different generations. I don't much care which are used for grass and water, but I wanna see either Blaziken or Infernape for fire.

Fewer useless Pokeballs.

ZERO useless Super Smashes.

Mega Man. It doesn't matter which incarnation, be it classic, X or .exe. The blue bomber MUST be in SSB4.

Speaking of bombs, Bomberman might be a good WTF character, like Ness, Mr. Game&Watch and ROB before him.

I want to see better menu design. I remember Melee having something to look at on each screen. Brawl had a lot of empty white space on some of the menus. I just think when Nintendo works on a AAA title like Super Smash Brothers, they should go the extra mile on everything, including filling in the menus better. Minor gripe, but it was one little thing that irked me.

Was I the only one that thought fighting in Brawl sometimes got hard to track? I'll be slugging it out with three others, get lost in the big ball of violence, then suddenly discover that I've fallen off a cliff. Maybe I just suck a bit. Either way, do something about that.

MORE STAGE CUSTOMIZATION. Nintendo, take a master class from the folks who did Little Big Planet. They did level editors right on the first try, you know you can learn a few things from them.

Take the guess-work out of unlocking some of the characters. For both Melee and Brawl, I had to look up how to unlock certain characters. At least give a hint, like "You need tenacity in vs. mode. Keep fighting normal battles to unlock this character." No need to mention how many battles it'd take, I'm sure the players are tenacious (see what I did thar?) enough to keep it up until they get the character.

As part of the story mode, less running around stages through mooks, MORE special bosses. Dark Samus, Smithy, Marx (Kirby Super Star) and (insert legendary Pokemon here) leap to mind.

More challenges. Lots and lots and lots and lots and goddam lots of challenges. In that thread of thought, make Break the Targets and Race to the Finish part of the stage editor.

... That's all I got.

ChillzMaster

Mar 23, 2011
Alright. They got one from a PS3 exclusive. I wanna see a Big Daddy or Master Chief in that lineup. Heck, if Ezio makes the cut I'll crap my pants. There's a very nice formula going on with Smash Brothers now, but DLC CHARACTERS! COME ON! I want more DLC support for Smash Bros, the ability to add characters into that excellent easy-to-learn, difficult-to-master gameplay of the Smash Bros. series would be SO TOTALLY RIGHTEOUS!

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
I'd like a control scheme that doesn't make me go psychotic. Is that too much to ask for?