I'm beginning to hate Valve.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Yes but people are criticizing it based not on the monetization but on the flavour of the game. Just like people criticized Mass Effect for become more of a shooter than an RPG. And you can be damn sure that some of the people that make those criticisms are defending valve now.
Akalabeth said:
Dude, or dudette, whatever. Go to the thread about EA getting star wars games. It is rife with people bitching about EA and lack of kotor3.
Well instead of just saying "these people exists", you need to show some examples otherwise we move into strawman territory. You can't just say "these people also defend valve."

Akalabeth said:
And yeah, if people complain about microtransactions or a game not working sure, that's fine. But that's not the issue.
For Simcity? That's definitely the issue, you can't deny

Akalabeth said:
Sure it's silly to get worked up about it.
But this thread was created what, yesterday or something? And it's 7 pages long already. Obviously a lot of people are becoming worked up about it on both sides.
Wow. You're just gonna say "yeah he's getting worked up but so are the other guys?" Really? As if that's some sort of defense? Ad Hominem/Common Practice Fallacy.

Akalabeth said:
Bad planning? It's got nothing to do with bad planning, it has something to do with changing their game plan.
There's a difference between:
A - Saying you're going to do something, and then fucking up, and failing to do it
B - Saying you're going to do something, and then changing your mind.

Half Life Episodes are obviously the latter.
Therefore it is indeed a broken promise because they said they would deliver products in a timely manner, and sold half completed stories with the implicit intention of finishing that story, and then failed to finish the story.
Plans =/= Promises
They said they would =/= They promised they would.

And you forgot;

C - Saying you're going to do something, and then fucking up, and then changing your mind and altering your plans.

Akalabeth said:
How many people would have invested in the series if they knew it would not be finished? By invested, I mean paid money into it, invested their time, etcetera. I'm not talking corporate investment.
Akalabeth said:
You need to familiarize yourself with the full definition of investment.
It is not limited solely to corporate dealings.

I can invest time into drawing to become a better artist.
I can invest money into buying books to create a collection.

Similarly, I can invest money into a game so that A - I come away with hopefully a positive experience from playing it and B - The game itself gets finished. You know, spending 60 bucks on the first two parts of the story, will theoretically help the last third part of the story get finished.

And instead Valve made a shitload of money off the episodes, and then . .. spent it something else.
And you do realize that if that's the way you're using investment then your argument holds no weight right? You are not spending money to see a game series completed. There is no contract between you and the creator to make more.

If I paid for the first part of the Lord of the Rings (book or film) and then there were no more released, then that's that. They don't owe me anything.

If they had said "we ensure that the money from the Half-Life episodes goes to prepare the timely release of the next Half-Life episode X, where X is less than than or equal to three." Then'd that hold some weight.

Valve had plans, Bioware had plans, their plans fucked up. Criticize those that hold the double standard when they appear, don't accuse others of having the double standard when they haven't shown so.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Jacco said:
I know that's akin to sacrilege among gamers
PC gamers, maybe. I'm sure plenty of people out there don't care for Valve.

I've never been interested in their games all that much. First person shooters are what they make, which is a genre that has never appealed to me. If not liking Valve was sacrilege, then the majority of gamers would be first person shooter fans. But plenty of us don't like first person shooters at all.

There's a lot of Valve I don't like. For instance, releasing Team Fortress memes upon the world. Everywhere I got someone is posting some weird obnoxious Team Fortress picture. It is getting pretty annoying.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm not sure what you're getting at ...I'm not saying you're entitled like you've stated that others have said but why do they have to talk about what they're doing? They've always kept fans in the dark with little hints or hints you REALLY have to dig for (Team Fortress 2's MvM update, Portal 2, etc) , it's just a different way of doing things and I think it's actually neat rather than other devs who promise us the stars and we find it's a crayon rendering of stars.

It's just a different means, not saying it's the best or worst but really who cares? They'll do what they're gonna do and so far it's been all pretty cool so ...go Valve go? *shrug*

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Holy hell. This thread is filled with some of the most petty, inconsequential, ludicrous gripes and complaints I've seen in a long time.

"I hate Valve because they haven't released a game they never gave a concrete release date for!"
"I hate Valve because of Team Fortress memes!"
"I hate Valve because Steam has community features!"
"I hate Valve because I didn't realize I could set the library menu as my main page instead of the Storefront!"
"I hate Valve because I failed to uncheck the 'run Steam when my computer starts' box!"
"I hate Valve because they made a Call of Duty rip-off that isn't a Call of Duty ripoff!"
"I hate Valve because I only liked one game series they created!"
"I hate Valve because they dared to change something! And I hate change!"
"I hate Valve because they use microtransactions in games that are free-to-play instead of using them in full-price titles!"
"I hate Valve because they have fans!"
"I hate Valve because they don't make games anymore, even though they've consistently released a new game every year since 2003!"
"I hate Valve because they give modders paying jobs and the tools/resources to craft their dream game!"

Seriously people? Gain some perspective.

God damn...

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Vigormortis said:
You know what I am beginning to wish now? That Half Life was never that popular. Sure It wouln't sell as much but at least it would be played by people with interest for the series and legit criticisms as to how to improve it. As we stand now, It is exposed to so many "special" individuals that can't think for themselves and play a game without paying any attention to genre, contiuity and style of the game and play it just because of the buzz it generated. Wish critics knew better than to make it mandatory viewing for all audiences because it was an "instant classic".

Right now I just wish people would just get some fucking sense.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Holy hell. This thread is filled with some of the most petty, inconsequential, ludicrous gripes and complaints I've seen in a long time.

"I hate Valve because they haven't released a game they never gave a concrete release date for!"
"I hate Valve because Steam has community features!"
"I hate Valve because I didn't realize I could set the library menu as my main page instead of the Storefront!"
"I hate Valve because I failed to uncheck the 'run Steam when my computer starts' box!"
"I hate Valve because they made a Call of Duty rip-off that isn't a Call of Duty ripoff!"
"I hate Valve because I only liked one game series they created!"
"I hate Valve because they dared to change something! And I hate change!"
"I hate Valve because they use microtransactions in games that are free-to-play instead of using them in full-price titles!"
"I hate Valve because they have fans!"
"I hate Valve because they don't make games anymore, even though they've consistently released a new game every year since 2003!"
"I hate Valve because they give modders paying jobs and the tools/resources to craft their dream game!"

Seriously people? Gain some perspective.

God damn...
And those haters wonder why people don't take them too seriously.

And the one of the worst parts of this is that you aren't making this crap up, I could several quotes for many of these off the top of my head and I haven't even properly followed this thread.

The actual worst part about those petty gripes is that they drown out actual issues like Greenlight.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Hate is a strong word, if that's directed at me.

I actually like Valve. I like Valve for the Steam service. I'm just pretty indifferent to their games. Portal jokes are starting to get mildly annoying. And Team Fortress jokes are starting to get atrociously annoying.

I thought I was tired of "the cake is a lie" jokes everywhere. Then the Team Fortress 2 memes started coming. I was wrong. Team Fortress memes are worse, much worse.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
DoPo said:
Wait, you think Blizzard worked on any of these for A YEAR?! Erm...no, no they didn't. StarCraft 2's expansions were planned out and announced from before it was released. While exact dev time is not known, I highly doubt it was "a year" - work on the story was done from before even SC2 was released, actual more focused development started later but it's not like they just crammed it for a year. Heck, in 2011 they said it would take a year and it then took two after the announcement (which was around the February-March as I recall, so pretty much exactly 2 years). As for WoW - Blizzard are actually known to be developing the next expansion before even releasing the current one they are working on (I don't think we have exact info on the the dev cycle but that much we do know). For reference, before the second new race in Burning Crusade was announced, one of the more credible leaked informations pointed at the the Worgen joining the Alliance. They didn't appear (as playable) until Cataclysm and the leaked info was spot on (as much as it could, that is - it was their story, motive and background with an outline of the abilities). Diablo 3 was in development for quite some time, too - six to be precise - that we do know.
No, I remember. I was one of those waiting patiently for the disappointment that was Diablo 3. My point was that they have actually had some big releases in the past couple of years, not that they started development and completed them.

SushiJaguar

Sep 12, 2010
Probably because they've done so, so well in the years prior that they're being given a free pass lately. You know, because they haven't had press releases where their employees have out-and-out said we're all fucking stupid.

Or maybe it's the sales. The massive games library-platform that is actually good to use. The respect that the company has for the consumers. Lots of things Valve do wrong are balanced out by what it does right. I'm quite happy to not have Half Life 3, I've never enjoyed Half Life. So the constant delays don't get to me at all, leading to a sort of "Valve haven't screwed me over yet" type mindset.

Oh and as for them keeping their plans a secret from their customers? That's called being intelligent. Corporate espionage can be as simple as "Oh look, Valve just said X and Y about their new games. Quick, race to completing it first!" Gotta at least be a little cynical, mate.

P.S: Valve have earned that air of superiority because they /are/ superior.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
huh i was thinking about skyrim taking 5 years to develop[footnote]i know i know its different and all[/footnote]...

anyway as long as its about valve im cautious. yes they did make some truly awesome games. but the whole half-life 3 this is really kinda boring now. face it people its not being made.

oh im rambling. anyway.
OP i think you are getting angry at some really worthless points. at this point who cares if they dont release half-life 3 when we have EA doing ... being EA.you call not being told when a game is coming out. if they come out treating customers like shit then what do you call what EA did with ME 3 and simcity and what gearbox did with AMC?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Jacco said:
Valve blatantly lies about their plans, stays all secret and then someone thinks because they are Valve it is all okay to treat their fans like shit.
Can you point out where they lied? Because there is a huge difference between lying and staying secret, and most people seem to think that if a company doesn't do what the community wants or expects, then the company is lying. Or if they just want to hate the company, they will call them liars. If they don't know when it will be out, it is best to stay in the dark. Otherwise, if they say a date, and it doesn't make it by that date, they'll have to push it back and everyone will then call them liars.

Anyway, for me, Valve is ok. They support TF2 and Steam well, but they have completely shafted the single player portion of the games. Portal 2 was coop focused with the campaign basically being just a tutorial that required little to no thinking to solve any of the puzzles (which is bad for a puzzle game), and then their most recent games (Dota 2 / CS:GO) have been multiplayer only. That isn't bad, I guess, but since I pretty much only play single player games, they are just another company who is abandoning those of us who play single player.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Valve isn't really treating you or anybody else like shit as far as Episode 3/Half Life 3 is concerned. Why exactly does Valve owe you Half-Life 3 within five years of the last game? If they released it when it wasn't actually completed, or rushed to complete the game just to sell it, you would probably be one of the first people to complain about how bad it was. Also, Valve really doesn't make money on developing games anymore, at least nothing compared to how much money they make off of Steam.

They have no financial pressure to make games, when they do release a game we know that it's something worth playing because they feel it was worth taking the time to make.

If you think Valve makes good games, then wait for them, they only develop games when they have really great ideas and getting angry at them for not rushing a project is asking them to be something they're not.

In the meantime, chill, there are plenty of other games to play, Valve will release when they feel they've topped Half Life 2, not before.

ArcossG

May 12, 2011
Wyes said:
Jacco said:
DaKiller said:
They can do it because their games are actually good and they don't even really owe us an episode 3?
See this is what I'm talking about. Why does that make it okay to build up expectations and not follow through? If you go by that logic, then no game company ever "owes" us anything. Bioware didn't "owe" us a good ending to ME3.
But you're making the assumption it's all intentional. Maybe Bioware 'owed' us a good ending, but they tried to deliver that - they just missed the mark. They didn't sit down and think 'Hey you know what? Let's piss off the entire gaming world!'.
Actually that isn't entierly true, Casey Hudson(ME's director) expilicitly said that the ending was ment to polarize, of course the end result ended up pissing everyone and not "just" half the fanbase
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116308-Mass-Effect-3s-Ending-Was-Intended-To-Polarize

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ed130 said:
And those haters wonder why people don't take them too seriously.

And the one of the worst parts of this is that you aren't making this crap up, I could several quotes for many of these off the top of my head and I haven't even properly followed this thread.

The actual worst part about those petty gripes is that they drown out actual issues like Greenlight.
The sentence I bolded is exactly my point. There are so many petty complaints flying around that the legitimate ones get lost in the deluge.

It's like these people are actively looking for things to hate about Valve. Like they've decided to hate them first and then find reasons for that hate.

I don't care if someone dislikes Valve. I really don't! Everyone's entitled to their opinions. But for the love of God, if you're going to levy complaints against something at least make valid, logical complaints.

EstrogenicMuscle said:
Hate is a strong word, if that's directed at me.

I actually like Valve. I like Valve for the Steam service. I'm just pretty indifferent to their games. Portal jokes are starting to get mildly annoying. And Team Fortress jokes are starting to get atrociously annoying.

I thought I was tired of "the cake is a lie" jokes everywhere. Then the Team Fortress 2 memes started coming. I was wrong. Team Fortress memes are worse, much worse.
No. It wasn't directed at you. I had heard someone, while I was in a TeamSpeak server some time ago, lament about how "stupid" all of the TF2 vids on youtube were while claiming they hated Valve because of them. That's why I brought it up.

I hadn't actually read your post before. Though, now that I have, I see how it would seem like I was directing it at you. My apologies.

That's one coincidence that I would have preferred hadn't come up. Ha!

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Rotfl at the comments about Steam saving pc gaming. Oh yeah, DRM is what gaming needs the most to survive.

If you want to know what saved pc gaming, look no further than WOW. Sad, but true.

Apr 24, 2008
On one hand, Half-Life is awesome... it'd be cool to have more Half-Life. On the other hand, Half-Life is awesome, so... it's pretty cool how they're not running the IP into the ground.

LOLITRON

Sep 15, 2012
Anybody remember Valve's false advertising with HL2? No? Go back and watch the old trailers. Last I played Half Life 2 there were no branching storylines or choices I could make to change the outcome of the game, I couldn't break the shit out of everything (except for what they wanted me to), and the enemy AI was not as smart as they claimed it to be -- or even showed it to be in their gameplay trailer. People tend to ignore this because Half Life 2 turned out to be a solid game anyways.

Also, I don't really buy the whole company structure excuse. You're telling me no one in Valve has the passion to create Half Life Episode 3 or Half Life 3? What? You're going to tell me that they had a strong passion to make Left 4 Dead 2 a year after the first, but weren't interested in another Half Life game? Anyway, I'm not going to argue things I can never know or prove, but it just doesn't seem logical in my opinion.

The reason there won't be another Half Life game for awhile, I think, is because they know it would fail to meet expectations. Half Life 1 did unexpectedly good due to all the new things it brought to the FPS genre and the gaming world in general. Half Life 2 was considered revolutionary with its physics engine and AI. Episode 1 and 2? They came out close enough to Half Life 2 that not a whole lot more was expected of them. Half Life 3 won't be coming out until they have some new technology to go along with it, otherwise it's likely to be a flop that would end Valve's winning streak with all its fans.

When Half Life 3 comes out, they'll essentially be throwing their entire company's reputation on the table. It's not going to happen until they're certain they'll be able to make it do extremely well on the market -- not because they need the money, but because they need the strong fan following in order to remain a success. Is that a bad thing? Of course not. Still, I don't put Valve above any other company out there when it comes to marketing and business structure. Someone's signing the checks and figuring out what to do with all the Stream revenue.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
I agree, I also dislike valve, mostly because of this whole half life fiasco that NO ONE will shut up about.