I'm buying a boat, and she'll need a name. Suggestions?

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
AS the title says, I've managed to scratch together enough money to buy myself a small boat to go fishing offshore in. I haven't bought the boat yet, still looking for a good one that isn't too expensive or run down. However, as I'll be taking her offshore, she'll need a name to use with the Australian Volunteer Marine Rescue VHF radio monitoring.

I would like no funny names or pun based names. For reference, my first car was a rust bucket and called the Millenium Falcon, and my current car is called Serenity. I don't have any GFs still on good terms, so I can't name her after any of them either, Dammit.

So Escapees (Escapist's?), GO!

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
Go ahead and call her Titanic.

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
You can use the name i will use when i get my first boat.

Name it "Floyd", and have the name painted in Pink. Cool people will get it :)

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
My family's boat is called "Famke" which just means girl in a language that's still spoken in a small part of our country (where my mother's from).

Maybe you've got a language like that? Something your ancestors spoke, something that was spoken in the place you live some time ago?

Then just take a simple world like girl, translate it and you've got your boat name.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This is the Nautilus, sword of the seas!

Go on, admit it, you'd love to open your radio calls with that.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Boat...Boat...You like Sci-Fi..

Rapture!!!

Come on, thats a good one. The city of Rapture. Under water. Bioshock. Come on. Thats good :D

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
Nacht a yacht.

Get it? Nacht is pronounced sorta like yacht (in this case at least), so it's not instead of the German sounding word. I'm so clever.

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Bluntman1138 said:
You can use the name i will use when i get my first boat.

Name it "Floyd", and have the name painted in Pink. Cool people will get it :)
Got it, but I'm more of a Alternating Current/Direct Current kinda guy. ;P

Hagi said:
My family's boat is called "Famke" which just means girl in a language that's still spoken in a small part of our country (where my mother's from).

Maybe you've got a language like that? Something your ancestors spoke, something that was spoken in the place you live some time ago?

Then just take a simple world like girl, translate it and you've got your boat name.
This is a great idea, but I'm Australian, with English heritage. So no joy on the language thing.

fix-the-spade said:
This is the Nautilus, sword of the seas!

Go on, admit it, you'd love to open your radio calls with that.
Hahaaaaahaaa, that would be epic, but most likely get me chewed out by the Volunteer Marine Rescue guys after about the fiftyth time.

Mar 30, 2010
Charlieuniformnovembertango.

Sorry, that's just childish.

Just use a marine name such as Marlin, Skipjack, Remora, etc. You only need the fancy names if it's like a yacht or something equally swanky.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Well, seeing as you named your cars after famous ships (in a sense), it's only fitting to name your ship after a famous car. That said, it really comes down to one choice, and a perfect one it is:

The Batmobile.

And yes, you have to include the 'The' in there for the full effect.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
DO NOT call her the Titanic (or Olympic or Britanic) or any other disastor ship name, cause it only makes the news report on it's sinking even worse. Also, while Ship Happens does seem pretty kool, it is less ironic when it sinks during a hurricane (my bro's boss actually took footage of this, while the owners tried to save it).

Appart from that, something feminie has always been the option of choice. Mayve a close friends name or the name of a family member?