Im finally an adult!

killcheese

May 18, 2009
I am gearing up for finals next week in my first year of college. This of course means tuition is due. I am short a little over $2000 and starting on the 19th its being deferred to a collection agency. With my earnings it will take me around 2 months to make the money, but it will have up to 25% interest so maybe longer. As my dad put it, who has been dealing with collection agencies since he graduated, im finally an adult. Now everyone in my family has at least one agency after them. Any other escapists dealing with the collectors? if so do you miss being a kid and not dealing with money beyond video games and trading cards? i sure do.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
NO, no debt/credit collectors after me. I came close to having to deal with them though, I'd forgotten about a bill for a doctor's visit but was able to pay it off after getting a notice that they were about to transfer the debt over to a collection agency.

Maybe you can work out a deal with either the college itself or the agency to pay off the debt in installments so you won't get truly fucked by interest, the worst they can do if you ask is say no.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
Uh, marry an awesome woman who is also great about scheduling payments and setting up a budget. You can't have mine, tho. :)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Um. No. But then I'm in a different culture and pretty careful with money.

I have a lot of debt all the same, but I make my repayments just find.

Of course, for most of my life I couldn't get credit for anything even if I wanted it.

Still, on the flipside, I also spent most of my life in a country that has a state funded way of handling student loans such that you don't need to pay it back unless you actually earn enough money to make that a reasonable request.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
Have to agree with Fleischer, though you don't necessarily need to marry someone to be able to operate an effective budget. I've been fortunate that my current university not only has the best department in the state for my selected major, but also offers enough financial aid that I can attend through a combination of working full-time and taking out student loans.

AnimatedAmbiguity

Mar 28, 2011
Though, I only just turned 18 last February, I haven't had to deal with any collection agency and intend to do my darnest to keep it that way!

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
You don't wanna deal with these people son. You shouldn't have incurred these expenses if you knew you couldn't pay them off. What can you do? Your most likely gonna have to take a loss here due to interest which is a shame but that's life. I don't wanna sound mean here but don't be like your dad a life with debt is needlessly difficult and stressful do what you can to stay out of debt, it's a slippery slope. What are you learning to do in college? cause your gonna need a lucrative job if this is only your first year and you plan on incurring debt this early. Try to save as much money as you can and avoid as much debt as possible. Debt is kinda like a class your being lazy in where you just kinda say to yourself "oh who cares it's just one homework assignment?" and before you know it you didn't end up doing anything all semester and you can't get the points back.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
I've never missed a payment on anything, got through college without taking at a single cent in student loans, and never bite off more than I can chew. So no collection agencies for me.

So I guess that means i'm not an adult? Sweet! I'm gonna eat lunchables and play my Dreamcast!

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
try talking to your college, they might give you some help.

luckily for me, my parents are more than willing to help me with money situation through college.

killcheese

May 18, 2009
Gladiateher said:
You don't wanna deal with these people son. You shouldn't have incurred these expenses if you knew you couldn't pay them off.
Its for tuition, not charges from a credit card or similar. I could only pay roughly half what i owe to the school for classes. Due to coming from a family on the brink of poverty half the time, its not really my fault that i get no help from my parents and due too a tax issue from my dad, he has fucked me over and i cant get financial aid. I'm really a pretty cheap person and are careful with my money. College may be expensive, but a quality education is worth it to me.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
Adulthood is NOT defined by debt. Trust me!

Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of run-ins with the debt collectors. I've been in a flat with no electricity or phone hiding from the land lord 'till I get my next months pay. (Which is made easier when there's no light or sound coming from your place... small mercies :D)

Not having any money more reflects your years of study. There's never, ever enough to go 'round. You're constantly robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Once you have a proper paying job however, It's up to you and your own management skills. (So, kinda being an adult, I conceed)

BTW: After a few years of being on the bones of your arse, eating fuck all but rice and beans et cetera, you should know how to stick to a budget.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
I definitely know, because of my morals, that I will not get a credit card or pay for anything that isn't critical to my happiness that takes over a month to pay back.

Heh, I may take the second part back in due time.