I'm finally joining the current gen. What games should I get?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I'm going to get a 360 or a PS3 (probably a 360) rather soonish and was wondering where to start as far as games are concerned. I enjoy the multi of MW2 and have had fun with Gears of War games. I love Zelda and the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time games. I don't do RPGs (except for Action RPGs) or sports games but I'll try just about anything else. I also enjoy longer, more involved games and out-of-left-field craziness.

Suggestions, anyone?

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
Get Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. Damn good game. And if you're into the multiplayer of MW2, get the Orange Box. It's got Team Fortress 2 and other goodies.

Zandarck

Jul 13, 2011
Borderlands is a good game, especially if you play it multiplayer. FPS/RPG with crazy guns.

utopaline

Jan 28, 2011
Zandarck said:
Borderlands is a good game, especially if you play it multiplayer. FPS/RPG with crazy guns.
That was my suggestion too. Great game to get you started and addictive as hell.
- Of course Halo if you go with the 360
- both Bioshock

all I can think of for right now

Sephren468

Jul 19, 2011
Personally I would go with a PS3. Much better library of exclusives, and if you own a gaming PC there is no reason to own a 360.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
funguy2121 said:
Are the PS exclusives really worth it?
I think there are more PS3 exclusives than the Xbox now. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) And you get a Blu-ray player and Love Film. So if you're big on movies aswell, PS3 is probably you're best bet. The only thing Xbox has going for it exclusive wise atm would be Halo, Gears and the original Mass Effect. IMO.

Apr 28, 2008
I suggest getting a PS3.

funguy2121 said:
Infamous 1+2, Uncharted 1+2, God of War 3, Resistance 1+2, Killzone 2+3, Ratchet and Clank Future series, Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet 1+2, Heavy Rain...

Yeah, I'd say they're worth it. All fantastic games, and seem to be right up your alley. Though the Killzone games are a bit on the shorter side length-wise, they're still really fun to play.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
funguy2121 said:
Three words:

DEMONS MOTHERFUCKING SOULS

That's all you need to know. It's worth it to get a PS3 to play Demons Souls alone. It's easily one of the best, if not the best, action RPG of this generation, and perhaps one of the best in the generation as a whole. Fan-fucking-tastic game.

I believe the PS3 has more exclusives than the 360 anyways.

Verdilian

Jan 8, 2011
Hmm... So many good choices, so little time and money.

I would say... Mass Effect 1 and 2, Bioshock, The Elder Scrolls 4 (if you can't play the PC version), Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid series... Seriously, the list can go on and on. I would like to ask something though. What genre you are interested the most? It'll help me make a more concrete list.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
If you dont want to get xboxlive then get a ps3, it'll save you a lot of cash. (I'm a Nintendo Microsoft guy btw) But for games you should get.

PS3(I had one for 2 years)

-Uncharted 1/2 and soon to be 3

-Resistance 1/2 and soon to be

-Killzone 2/3

-Infamous 1/2

-God of War 3

-Heavy Rain

-Many play station 2 collections that were remastered.

Xbox

-Halo

-Gears

-Mass Effect 1 (2 is on both)

-Banjo

-CrackDown

-Halo Wars

-Alan Wake

-Left 4 Dead

Multi Plat

-Bioshock

-CoD

-Battle Field

-Dead Space

-Darksiders

Just some of the many games you missed out on.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I know you said you didn't do RPGs, but it's hard for me to go into recommendations without mentioning them. They're fun.

360: Bayonetta (360 version runs smoother), Gears of War I & II, Mass Effect (note:RPG), Tales of Vesperia (also an RPG), Earth Defense Force 2017 (not an RPG), Deathsmiles.

PS3: Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted I & II, Disgaea 3 & 4 (note:SRPG), LittleBigPlanet, Malicious, Wipeout HD/Fury, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (note: dungeon crawler RPG).

Personally, I've been enjoying the PS3 more lately. A lot of the stuff on the 360 is also on the PC, after all. Then again, I am the kind of person who compulsively fills in every map he's given. I also have no idea which console is superior when it comes to online multiplayer. I don't play it, so I don't know what the PSN crowd is like nor how the servers behave. If that aspect is important to you, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Most of the big games are multi-platform, though, so it shouldn't be too much of a big deal which one you pick. The PS3's library is by nature a little bigger than the 360's since you can import games from anywhere without worrying about regional lockout.

[sub]Because seriously, fuck regional lockout.[/sub]

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Demon's Souls, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden Sigma II, Portal 2. I can't think of more atm. But I'm sure I'll have more later.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Xbox 360 : Nier , Catherine , Mass effect 1 et 2 , Dragon age Origins ( please dont get DA2 )
Dead space1 and 2 , Portal 2 ( if you dont already have it on PC ) ,ACreed 1/2/3
UMvC3 ( october ) Oblivion , Fall out 3/ NV ,Bayonetta !

Edit : Alan wake was a great story , maybe SH homecoming if your are a fan , Resonance of Fate ( an RPG look it up ) , REsident evil 5 , Rainbow Six New Vegas 2

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
funguy2121 said:
I think there are more PS3 exclusives than the Xbox now. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) And you get a Blu-ray player and Love Film. So if you're big on movies aswell, PS3 is probably you're best bet. The only thing Xbox has going for it exclusive wise atm would be Halo, Gears and the original Mass Effect. IMO.
Um, "Love Film?" Yes, I do, but what is that?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Stall said:
funguy2121 said:
Three words:

DEMONS MOTHERFUCKING SOULS

That's all you need to know. It's worth it to get a PS3 to play Demons Souls alone. It's easily one of the best, if not the best, action RPG of this generation, and perhaps one of the best in the generation as a whole. Fan-fucking-tastic game.

I believe the PS3 has more exclusives than the 360 anyways.
Well, that's quite an endorsement. I also heard it's *****-ass hard, which I enjoy as well. I feel like something's missing if there isn't quite a struggle followed by a sense of satisfaction when I beat a game.