Im gonna start reading some books, suggest em.

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
So soon I'm gonna get a kindle and I'd like some suggestions for books to read, it doesn't matter what genre it is, I wanna see what I like. It doesn't have to be kindle specific so don't think of that as a problem :D

This probably has been done loads so yeah...

P.s. Please, no hate on the kindle or people's suggestions, Thanks :D

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Children of Hurin! :0 My favourite Tolkien book, and probably my favourite book of all time.

ALL TIME.

*Chucks microphone*

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
ALRIGHT.

Pandora's Star, Mindstar Rising, The Reality Dysfunction (Peter F Hamilton) (all books part 1 of a series)
Saturn's Children, Singularity Sky, The Atrocity Archives (Charles Stross) (singularity sky and atrocity archives part 1 of a series)
Matter, Surface Detail, Excession, Player of Games, Look to Windward, Use of Weapons, Consider Phlebas (Iain M Banks) (all part of his 'Culture' universe of novels.

I'd give reasons why but I'd be here all day - but they are absolutely exceptional books, each and every one.

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
Already it looks like I'm gonna have to somehow get more time to read these :D
also for discussion value you can talk about your favourite way to read books or something...

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
"The master and the margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov, Any of the "Breslau" series by Marek Krajewski, "Neurmancer", "A clockwork Orange", "1984" any of Terry Pratchett's stuff is usually good and "Animal farm" are the ones I can think of at the moment.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Prey by Michael Crichton
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Mogworld by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Will the Last Person to Leave the Planet Please Turn Off the Sun? by Mike Resnick

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin

Feb 13, 2008
Wes1180 said:
So soon I'm gonna get a kindle and I'd like some suggestions for books to read, it doesn't matter what genre it is, I wanna see what I like.
*cracks knuckles*

Project Gutenberg [http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page]
Many Books [http://manybooks.net/]
Tor.com [http://www.tor.com/stories]

There's a brief 100,000 to get you started for free. :)

For specifics:
Jennifer Government by Max Barry
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Anything by Pterry Pratchett
Anything by Neil Gaiman
The Dexter series by Jeff Lindsey
Anything by John Wyndham
The Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith.

Always remember the Cthulu Mythos as well. It's hard going but well worth it.

That's quite a wide range, let us know how you get on, or if there's anything more specific.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. Harry Potter, all of them! Darkness, Take My Hand, by Dennis Lehane, in fact, all of his books are amazing. The Wheel Of Time series is quite good. I think I will stop my list there, I could go on for a long time, my book room is pretty much a mini library!

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. Seriously, House is fucking hilarious in real life too.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Pretty much anything by Niel Gaiman, Neverwhere is my personal favourite.

Misterkillsall

Jun 7, 2010
Armor by John Steakley.

Think Apocalypse Now crossed with Starship Troopers and you have a good idea of what it's like.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Wes1180 said:
I'd like some suggestions for books to read
Ken Follet - "The Pillars of the Earth"
Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchet - "Good Omens (The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch)"
Alexander Dumas - "The Count of Monte Cristo"
Arthur Golden - "Memoirs of a Geisha"
John Irving - "The Cider House Rules" & "The World According to Garp"
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien - "The Hobbit", "The Lord of the Rings" & "The Silmarillion" (In that order)
Douglas Adams - "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
Eoin Colfer - "Artemis Fowl" series
Clive Staples Lewis - "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe"
Charles Dickens - "Great Expectations" & "David Copperfield"
Oscar Wilde - "The Picture of Dorian Grey"
Arthur Conan Doyle - "The Hound of the Baskervilles"
Stephen King - "The Green Mile"
Umberto Eco - "The Name of the Rose"
Terry Pratchett - "Mort", "Guards! Guards!", "Night Watch", "The Colour of Magic", "Small Gods", "Reaper Man", "Wyrd Sisters", "Hogfather", "Men at Arms", "Soul Music", "Thief of Time", "The Fifth Elephant" & "Witches Abroad" (All part of the Discworld series, consisting of 38 books to date. Listed the best ones, although they're pretty much all solid gold)

But a small selection of my usual recommendations, ranging a wide selection of genres and writing styles.

I'm certain they'll all have Wikipedia entries, making it easy for you to judge for yourself whether they might be for you.