I'm in a bit of a gaming funk right now...look for suggestions.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
I find myself in a bit of a funk at the moment, and am looking for suggestions. I just came off a 7 year addiction to MMORPGs. (City of Heros. Little CO, STO, and DCO mixed in.. No wow or the like. Not really a fantasy fan.) That being the case, i haven't really keep up with whats been going on in the world of, i guess, stand alone single player games? I discovered the Mass Effect games about 6 or 7 months ago, LOVE them. I really dig Batman, AA. Tried Dragon Age, dispite the fact i know i'm not a fantasy fan, it is bioware after all... didn't really care much for it...

I'm really looking forward to ToR, Batman AC, Mass 3... but, they are all a few months away.. so i need something to fill my time whiles i wait...

So here i am... looking for new games to try, but not really sure what's worth checking out. As you can see from what i've played, i tend to prefure a 3rd person view. 1st person, kind of gives me a headach, belive it or not... I like RPG elements, (new equipment, upgrades, different skill classes and the like..) I can tolorate some grinding, and i enjoy some stratigy. Tend to like a Sci Fi flavor if possible. Not really a big fan of over the top violence, but, i'm not really squimesh either.

I tend to mainly stick to my PC, it's my own little world and i don't have to compete for TV time with the rest of the family, but i do have a PS3 and Xbox. Suggestions?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Knights of the Old Republic 1/2, if you haven't played them.
I'd also recommend checking out the Assassin's Creed series.
Especially II and Brotherhood, as they are action-y games with a few RPG elements thrown in. And they are 3rd person. (They are on the 360 and the PC)

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Ghostwise said:
I'm not a huge fantasy buff myself but Dragon Age 2 was great. It felt like a fantasy version of Mass Effect 2. I think you would like it if you liked Mass Effect.
But seeing as how everyone seems to hate it (can't say myself, never played 1st or 2nd one), maybe it's worth waiting for the new Elder Scrolls game.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
If you're into Sandbox games, I could recommend you either one of the following 3.

[Prototype] This game just lets you loose in a city. You got some morphing powers that results in you becoming a mix of Wolverine, The Hulk, Greed, Spider-man and so many more.

Saints Row 2: First of all, it's GTA how it should be. Fun and awesome. The character design feature is near endless, my character looks like the comic version of The Joker.

Just Cause 2: It might has it issues, but you can hookshot someone's left testicle to the back of a speeding bus that is heading towards a very deep edge.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Heh, there for a couple years I didn't play much other than WoW myself. When I stopped playing it it felt like christmas all the great games out there I'd missed.

Good luck man :D

Se7enUpMustang

Apr 7, 2010
you can tolerate some grinding eh? well I would bloody well think so after a 7 year spree on what I refuse to call games, Didnt mean to sound rude there sorry.

Anyways moving on, well I would suggest Fallout 3 or Fallout new vegas. They are both a bit on the buggy side (especially vegas) but you can play in a third person cam and at least for me on most occasions the bugs dont ruin the fun of the game. Aside form that I can only think of one other game, you might have heard of it, Its called outside, in it theres some sunlight, and some trees and some grass and people too but instead of text coming out of their heads these funny noises called words come out of that place where you normally shove cheetoes and hotpockets. You should give it a try, its quite fun.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Well, I know of a few small games to check out. These are just general recommendations rather than following the criteria though I will make some effort.

-Stacking is a pretty fun adventure type game from Double Fine with some rather fun puzzles and a great presentation. Also coming soon from Double Fine is Trenched a cool little thing about WWI soldiers fighting aliens. Here's a link to a trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADk4u5YN8eM&feature=fvwkrel

-Depending on which system you'll play them on you might check out the Assassin's Creed games. I think they're the perfect "20 minute game" that is to say they can be played for short amounts of time without feeling like you didn't accomplish much.

-I hear Vanquish is a really fun well made game, though I've not played any more than the demo.

-I'm always willing to tell people to try the Ratchet and Clank games and there are three for the PS3 (well, two and a half) that are plenty of fun.

As I said these are just general recommendations but I hope you get some good out of them.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Bulletstorm was fun, funny and gorgeous. If you want a shooter, I'd send you there.

If you want an engrossing and well-written RPG, then Fallout:New Vegas for the PC is great. A little buggy but not nearly as bad as everyone make it out to be.

And for 3rd person Action, I'd have to agree with the guy that recommended Assassin's creed 2. Brotherhood should drop for PC in a few months, but you'll need to play AC2 to understand that.....

Hope this helps.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Hm, 3rd person gameplay, not fantasy...

I'm gonna go with this guy, who suggested

Ranorak said:
Saints Row 2: First of all, it's GTA how it should be. Fun and awesome. The character design feature is near endless, my character looks like the comic version of The Joker.
Saints Row 2 is like the crazy alcoholic party-going brother of the GTA games. And they are most certainly not pictures of wisdom & sobriety. It's a brilliant game that everyone should play, and has the best character creation system I've ever seen, bar none, and I've seen a lot.

Red Dead Redemption is also an easy recommendation for, well, anyone. ****ing play that game.

And yes, the KotOR games, they sound right up your alley. Third person sci-fi RPGs set in the star wars universe, yum yum. I only ever played the first one though, I can't personally vouch for the second.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
If you don't mind the simple visuals, Desktop Dungeons is a fun little excursion. Gameplay is very similar to a "roguelike" dungeon crawler, but condensed into manageable 10-20 min long games. You'll die a lot, but I don't really find it that frustrating given how short the games are. Best of all, it's free!

http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Best of the 3 said:
Ghostwise said:
I'm not a huge fantasy buff myself but Dragon Age 2 was great. It felt like a fantasy version of Mass Effect 2. I think you would like it if you liked Mass Effect.
But seeing as how everyone seems to hate it (can't say myself, never played 1st or 2nd one), maybe it's worth waiting for the new Elder Scrolls game.
That same "everyone" is going to hate that for not being TES: Morrowind 2 though, so that won't work either.