I'm looking for a game!

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Evening all.

Now I know what you're thinking, but it's not that I've forgotten the name of a game I've played before or anything like that.

It's simple though; I'm looking for a game to play with 3 of my friends, online - on the PC, which is free or less than 10$.

Obviously we've played all the bigger games such as;

TF2 (extensively)
L4D + 2 (extensively)
WoW
LoL
HoN (extensively)
SCII (some, loads of costum games)
Magicka (some)
Minecraft (I don't even want to comment here)
CoD
CoH
Warhammer Online
Warhammer 40k DoW I + II
Titan Quest
Borderlands (Completed)
Civ:V
BFBC2

[sub](Holy crap that's a lot of acronyms).[/sub]

Incidentally, most of these games can't be bought for under 10$ on Steam or D2D anyway.

Furthermore we've played a buttload of F2P mmo's like;

D&D: Online
LOTR:O
Runes of Magic - and all of those other ones that are roughly based on the same engine but with different layouts. We're laying low on the MMO genre until GW 2 gets here.

Now, this is where you come in. We're looking for a game that's free, or cheap. Doesn't matter if it has micro-transactions as long as it's fun with friends, since we can just not pay - though it has to support at least 4 players.

I'm hoping you can help, since we want to game together, but can't seem to find a proper game that we all want to spend more than 1 hour on, at a time, at the moment.

I'll respond if we've played what you're suggesting, before, naturally :)

Up up, and away!

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
Wow, that's awfully picky. I think you just listed basically every MMO that's ever been created.

You seem to have played almost all genres too, apart from Racing/Driving.

Looks like you might have to create your own game. Alternatively you could try real life multiplayer games. I hear they have this thing called "Sport", where you physically move your body around in an effort to achieve fun or increased fitness. My favourite sport is Monopoly.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
GunZ:The Duel is a third person hack'n'slashy'gun'n'slash horrendous learning curve competative game.

Global Agenda is like TF2 had sex with Borderlands.

Atlantica Online which is a strange MMO where combat takes place like in alot of JRPG in a pocket dimention. Two combat types I'm aware of, turn based and strategy turn based.

Thoes are my suggestions.

Can try Rift. Questing is worse than WoW's but the talent trees are very intreguing so if you enjoy choosing what to specc that will entertain you. There's like a free trial or something.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Bambi On Toast said:
Wow, that's awfully picky. I think you just listed basically every MMO that's ever been created.

Looks like you might have to create your own game. Alternatively you could try real life multiplayer games. I hear they have this thing called "Sport", where you physically move your body around in an effort to achieve fun or increased fitness. My favourite sport is Monopoly.
I go out, I exercise, I have a girlfriend, and I can spot a degrading asshole when I see one.
So shove it, mate :)

scw55 said:
GunZ:The Duel is a third person hack'n'slashy'gun'n'slash horrendous learning curve competative game.

Global Agenda is like TF2 had sex with Borderlands.

Atlantica Online which is a strange MMO where combat takes place like in alot of JRPG in a pocket dimention. Two combat types I'm aware of, turn based and strategy turn based.

Thoes are my suggestions.
Cheers! I'll look into it.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
It's too bad you didn't ask this question last week -- Star Wars: Battlefront II was on sale for $5. If you like Battlefield style 64 player vehicle and infantry action, it's well worth the purchase -- especially if you like the idea, but don't like the whole "realistic" modern combat thing. The regular price is still only $10, so even when it's not on sale, it's not going to break the bank.

Also, I noticed Alien Swarm was not on your list. That's a free game from valve. It's a top down shooter, with L4D style teamwork. It's pretty cool, especially if you're playing with a group of friends.

Finally, if I were you, I'd log into steam and start going through the under $10 and under $5 lists. You just might find a gem -- for example, Quake and all of the Jedi Knight games are $10 a piece, and I know for a fact that Quake and Jedi Academy both have very active online communities to this day.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
League of Legends, especially with the new Dominion mode that's coming out soon.

(LoL is the successor to DotA, if you've played that--5 person tower defense.)

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
There's tons of stuff on Steam that fit the bill, especially if you keep track of the sales (like AvP for $5 right now.)

But I would suggest Alien Swarm. It's free and made with multiplaying in mind. Not a bad little game.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Boneasse said:
It's simple though; I'm looking for a game to play with 3 of my friends, online - on the PC, which is free or less than 10$.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91600/

I hear this is an excellent good time, and it's the first thing that I thought of when I read your post.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Snippity!
Aw that's too bad. I've never tried Battlefront.

Concerning Steam; naturally I know of the cheap games, but if something comes recommended from others, I'll take a look at that first. There's not a lot, but it always sucks to be a victim of shovelware!

Cheers for the suggestion on Jedi Knight though!

Vuliev said:
League of Legends, especially with the new Dominion mode that's coming out soon.
Well, might relook into it, but I didn't find LoL as fun as Heroes of Newerth, as didn't two of my mates. Thanks for mentioning it though :)

New Troll said:
There's tons of stuff on Steam that fit the bill, especially if you keep track of the sales (like AvP for $5 right now.)

But I would suggest Alien Swarm. It's free and made with multiplaying in mind. Not a bad little game.
Forgot to mention Alien Swarm! It's a gem, that is, but we've completed it (and some community made maps). Thanks though!

BloatedGuppy said:
Boneasse said:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91600/

I hear this is an excellent good time, and it's the first thing that I thought of when I read your post.
Cheers mate, I'll look into it!

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
mental_looney said:
Terraria, similar to minecraft but with bosses to summon and kill and lots more to do
Ah yeah, another friend of mine suggested this but I forgot about it! Thanks!

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
Boneasse said:
Bambi On Toast said:

I go out, I exercise, I have a girlfriend, and I can spot a degrading asshole when I see one.
So shove it, mate :)
Calm down there Susan, I didn't know you had a girlfriend. That's mighty impressive and entirely relevant. (SARCASM!).

All joking aside, I was only saying that you haven't left yourself with a lot of options. Many people get bored of gaming for a few years and then get back to it. I was an MMO whore for years, and after 2-3 years I've finally rediscovered casual console gaming. 1-2 hours a night of Oblivion, Crackdown, Call of Duty etc.

Perhaps it's time to take a break. Alternatively, I've heard this community praising a game called "Rift" which is a WoW clone. It's good apparently.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
If you like spaceship shooters Freespace 2 is 5 bucks on GoG, I heard the online community is still active, I don't know though I only have Freespace one and that has no multiplayer anymore (that I know of), also I hear it also has co-op, though I would do some research before trying it since there is a chance that I'm wrong and I can't be bothered to research it because I'm too lazy to google it.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Bambi On Toast said:
Calm down there Susan, I didn't know you had a girlfriend. That's mighty impressive and entirely relevant. (SARCASM!).

All joking aside, I was only saying that you haven't left yourself with a lot of options. Many people get bored of gaming for a few years and then get back to it. I was an MMO whore for years, and after 2-3 years I've finally rediscovered casual console gaming. 1-2 hours a night of Oblivion, Crackdown, Call of Duty etc.

Perhaps it's time to take a break. Alternatively, I've heard this community praising a game called "Rift" which is a WoW clone. It's good apparently.
Ah all right, my bad for taking it to heart, mate. It's a bit late here and I've had a crappier-than-usual day, so my fuse is a bit shorter than normal :) I apologize.

I know a break-time wouldn't be a bad idea, perhaps, but I find I relax the most when I'm playing games with a couple of friends. Just sitting down and unplugging the brain is the most effective way for me to recharge, if you get my drift?

I'll look into RIFT, but a monthly subscription fee is a bit of a killer.

Kaleion said:
If you like spaceship shooters Freespace 2 is 5 bucks on GoG, I heard the online community is still active, I don't know though I only have Freespace one and that has no multiplayer anymore (that I know of), also I hear it also has co-op, though I would do some research before trying it since there is a chance that I'm wrong and I can't be bothered to research it because I'm too lazy to google it.
No worries, I'll google it myself. Thanks for the suggestion!

Stealthygamer said:
DC:U will be f2p in a month
I'll keep that in mind. Cheers!

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I was going to suggest Guild Wars 2, but you're already waiting for it, so... there ya go.

You really should check out Firefall [http://www.firefallthegame.com/home]. MMO, Free to play, shooter-style, massive depth, beta available now... And it looks hella fun, in my opinion.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
2xDouble said:
I was going to suggest Guild Wars 2, but you're already waiting for it, so... there ya go.

You really should check out Firefall [http://www.firefallthegame.com/home]. MMO, Free to play, shooter-style, massive depth, beta available now... And it looks hella fun, in my opinion.

Awesome! Thanks!

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
Vindictus is a Incredibly pretty 3D Brawler made in the source. Freemium, Alot of the game that i got through seems like 4 people would be massive overkill.

Spiral Knights is also a Freemium brawler, but more 2d, less combo-oriented, more gear oriented.