I'm looking for something that's hard to find: An unbiased news source. Any ideas?

Wayte

Oct 21, 2009
It would be impossible to find a nonbiased news channel. Not to say there aren't any that try, it's simply a matter of opinionation. People in general think of their beliefs as undeniable fact, and so you'll always have a spin on news storied.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
Trivun said:
Ph33nix said:
THERE IS NO UNBIASED SOURCE. EVER. PERIOD.

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL RIGHT?
And that is useful to this thread how? Consider yourself reported...
And how was that a useful post? Frankly, I agree with Ph33nix.

OT: I doubt that an unbiased media source exists- bias will always creep into the author's writing, no matter how small or subtle it may be.

But, like everyone else on this forum, I would advocate the BBC. At least it isn't as blatant in reporting like SOME news sources *glares at Fox News*

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Crystal Cuckoo said:
Trivun said:
Ph33nix said:
THERE IS NO UNBIASED SOURCE. EVER. PERIOD.

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL RIGHT?
And that is useful to this thread how? Consider yourself reported...
And how was that a useful post? Frankly, I agree with Ph33nix.

OT: I doubt that an unbiased media source exists- bias will always creep into the author's writing, no matter how small or subtle it may be.

But, like everyone else on this forum, I would advocate the BBC. At least it isn't as blatant in reporting like SOME news sources *glares at Fox News*
Actually, I'd already posted a useful post. I suggested Reuters several posts before that one. I only reported the guy because as far as I'm aware, posting in all caps like that with little topic discussion, has in the past been grounds for moderator action. And before anyone calls me out on that, I've seen it happen here in the past. So can people please stop quoting me complaining that I reported someone for his post? Thank you.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Government legislation prevents TV and radio news bias. Newspapers however, can be openly bias. The best example of the former is the BBC.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
No matter where you look, you will not find an unbiased news source because everyone in the entire world is biased according to their individual worldviews - the best you can hope for is a news source that is honest about having a bias and makes a point of clearly defining what that probably entails regarding how they'll report the news.

silentsentinel said:
In a poll, most Americans considered NPR to be the most unbiased news network. Other Americans call it liberal. I think it's very good, however.

Also, emphasis on most. I don't think any source of media is unbiased.
NPR is extremely liberal, all those poll results tell you is so were most of the respondents - as for whether or not poll results translate over into actual reality, there's a famous saying... how did it go? Oh right - "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics".
One thing I've noticed about right wingers in this country: they're often so far to the right they can't see the middle anymore. Favoring nuanced discussion of an issue over meatheaded nationalistic fervor and demagogurey is not symptomatic of 'liberal bias'.

If you came to that opinion of NPR because some wingnut told you that was the case, I encourage you to go find out for yourself.

CouchCommando

Apr 24, 2008
BBC, SBS, ABC, But obviously they're going to be biased, but out of most media I've seen they do a pretty damn good job of raging on there own as well. I've seen some mighty fine journalism from these three networks over the years.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
ReepNeep said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
No matter where you look, you will not find an unbiased news source because everyone in the entire world is biased according to their individual worldviews - the best you can hope for is a news source that is honest about having a bias and makes a point of clearly defining what that probably entails regarding how they'll report the news.

silentsentinel said:
In a poll, most Americans considered NPR to be the most unbiased news network. Other Americans call it liberal. I think it's very good, however.

Also, emphasis on most. I don't think any source of media is unbiased.
NPR is extremely liberal, all those poll results tell you is so were most of the respondents - as for whether or not poll results translate over into actual reality, there's a famous saying... how did it go? Oh right - "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics".
One think I've noticed about right wingers in this country: they're often so far to the right they can't see the middle anymore. Favoring nuanced discussion of an issue over meatheaded nationalistic fervor and demagogurey is not symptomatic of 'liberal bias'.

If you came to that opinion of NPR because some wingnut told you that was the case, I encourage you to go find out for yourself.
2nd!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
ReepNeep said:
One thing I've noticed about right wingers in this country: they're often so far to the right they can't see the middle anymore. Favoring nuanced discussion of an issue over meatheaded nationalistic fervor and demagogurey is not symptomatic of 'liberal bias'.

Hardly, I arrived at that conclusion from long experience with NPR's coverage. It's rather insulting that you'd assume I rely on pundits to form my opinions for me.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Hardly, I arrived at that conclusion from long experience with NPR's coverage. It's rather insulting that you'd assume I rely on pundits to form my opinions for me.
Guess I'm just used to talking to the swarms of tweens that frequent these boards, no offense intended. I still think you're wrong, though. :p