"I'm out of my depth here..."

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
The said:
Don't Starve. It has a nice atmosphere, but is unforgiving and I still don't know how anything works.
You too? I want to get into the game, but I have no idea what I'm doing! I kinda just make a fire and look for things that are impossible to find, then I get killed by wolves at my camp.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Just...all of Super Meatboy. I am a scrub and that game made me a scrub. I used to be fairly OKAY at platforms but Nay that game said. Nay, for you are feeble pretender and I shall show thee no quarter.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
The first Fallout. I got to part where I needed a rope or something and had no idea what to do so started exploring the map only to find I used like half of my time limit and I completely sucked ass at the combat even though the difficulty was set to pussie easy. I want to go back to it but it was just so complicated and boring

And Eye Divine Cybermancy. The concept and some of the mechanics are cool like how reloading makes you loose the remaining bullets in your clip, but there's way too many skills and abilities and I have no idea what they do. I want to finish that game too some day

BlackFlyme

Dec 27, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
BlackFlyme said:
Dwarf Fortress shenanigans
Do you use the LazyNewbPack? Or at least DwarfTherapist? Because that makes dishing out orders so much easier.

Indeed, taking care of fellow dwarves is a dreadfully low priority. Hence why, when I finally get a proper hospital, I usually have one or two dwarves reserved with just taking-care-of-dwarves jobs activated.
Oh yeah, I can't play without some of the bugfixes that LNP/DFHack offers. The funny thing was that an idler did come by to help carry the injured dwarf for about 10 tiles before he gave up and went off for a pint.

As for other games that leave me in over my head, I simply cannot grasp pen and paper games like Dungeons & Dragons, despite having played several campaigns with some of my friends.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Dota 2. I do somewhat get it, I just don't find it fun. Or have the patience to learn. At least not solo, anyway. I would consider playing it with friends.

sth1729

Jul 6, 2013
Any magicka game, the entire series has completely failed to engage me but my friends keep wanting to play it with me so I just end up doing what they say with no understanding of how it actually works. This has led to me just having various articles in the background that I read until it's my turn again.

Dwarf Fortress, I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into, spent maybe six hours over the course of a week before I just gave up, still completely unsure of what the dwarves were.

Nothing else that I can really remember, I can usually pick up anything and understand how it works after about 5 minutes playing around with it, although when I returned to Runescape after a 5 year hiatus because I wanted something extremely simple and saw the amount of crap added to the interface I immediately left it again.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The first time I booted up Crusader Kings II and took a look at the UI.
Me too, but my friend really thinks I can do it and I don't want to let him down...

Also whenever customisation comes up in RPGs. I never know whether I'm making the right decisions or not. Not just upgrade trees, but also stuff like Materia.
Oh yeah. I loved Final Fantasy X, but then I got a look at the character upgrading system.

Wat. Wat. Wat. WAT!?

Carried on playing, occasionally stopping to upgrade and unlock abilities with the decision making effectiveness of a flailing walrus, and then had to stop because my inexpert choices led to the difficulty curve spiking past the point where my characters could get past even random battles. I believe I got to the part where you have to help that perpetually shirtless guardian look for the summoner he's assigned to protect.

I wondered why it was so difficult, and then as an example, FAQs seemed to take it as read that I must have unlocked the more powerful fire ability for my black mage. I wasn't even aware that was a possibility at where I was in the game.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
QWOP
Just... QWOP. The human brain isn't meant to delve into such madness. Also when I started GalCiv2, I just derped, went into stupid mode and went 'I make da space ships' for the first couple of games.

On the other end, we have to talk about stuff that's just too shallow. Facebook gem matching games feel like the kiddie pool. I was the one guy in Mean Bean Machine going crazy chain combos, and stuff like Candy Crush I can see the BS they put in by design to cheat real money out of people.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
I was going to say DOTA 2, and I still feel that way. I played through all the tutorials, decided to play a practice match with a friend, and when we got into the game, we were so hopelessly lost we made a silent pact never to play that game again.

HOWEVER, someone mentioned EYE Divine Cybermancy. You're dropped into the game and told to make your character with no knowledge of what skills do what or what is important, THEN you're railroaded through a COMPLETELY inadequate tutorial and when you FINALLY get to the hubworld you're thrust into a world with a rich and varied backstory that nobody seems to want to tell you anything about.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Sectan said:
The said:
Don't Starve. It has a nice atmosphere, but is unforgiving and I still don't know how anything works.
You too? I want to get into the game, but I have no idea what I'm doing! I kinda just make a fire and look for things that are impossible to find, then I get killed by wolves at my camp.
While I'm not amazing at that game, with wolf encounters being the most immediate threat, the advice I give you here is to have these priorities:

1: fire making materials.

2: food.

(if you are in danger of not possessing either of the above before the end of the day, drop whatever you are doing.)

3: Assuming food and fire are taken care of at least enough to keep you alive through a night, you absolutely MUST work towards building a science machine. Once that is built, you can get all manner of useful things, but highest priority would be the spear, and perhaps some form of protection like log armour. These aren't a hundred percent essential, but they make wolf encounters so much easier.

Assuming you're in the clear from there, you need to start looking for a door to adventure mode, or the parts to build one. Like the ring thing, the metal potato thing, etc and the platform to place them on.

If you manage to get the materials for a meat effigy, or find and activate one of those altars with the pig heads around it, even better, as each will bring you back to life once. That said, this has only ever happened on a couple of my playthroughs.

And unless you're positive you can handle it with minimal consequences, or they drop something vital, with the exception of the wolves (which never give up) it's better to run away than fight a lot of the time.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Most new MMOs I decide to try, since they usually have customisation and options galore, and even more so when I hit the forums for those games to try and clarify what everything is, since everyone is speaking in abbreviations that only veterans know (because we all know that taking the extra 2 seconds to type the full word can cost lives).

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
MysticSlayer said:
Most 2D fighting games. I got Smash Bros. down easily as well as BlazBlue, and once I got the basic mechanics of Injustice down I was able to start playing it decently. However, make me play any other 2D fighter, especially the Marvel vs. Capcom series, and I have no hope of keeping up with anyone who even has a mediocre level of skill. Of course, it doesn't help that I spend 50% of my time in them wondering if I made a mistake or if the game just doesn't control well enough, and that only is made worse when I come across games like BlazBlue where it is very easy to master the basic moves and timing.

Also, when I started getting into strategy games when I was around 13 years old, I had a lot of trouble figuring them out, but now it isn't too hard unless the designer is trying to recapture the spirit of 90s-era strategy games a little too much and ends up creating a game that makes 90s-era strategy games look like casual games.
Funny because for me it's the oposite .i find blazblue ( and Guilty gear ) to be way too complicated for my mind to comprehend . So many things you have to know to play this game . I never won a match against another player despite hours in training mode .

Where as , with UMVC3 and SSF4 , i was winning ( not by much at first ) as soon as i went online. I have gone on to get a lot better at UMVC3 with my ragamuffin teams .

OT: Can't play a RTS to save my life . Turn base however i love , because it gives me time to think .

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
DEFCON and Myst, I don't understand DEFCONs interface as it's very unfriendly, and I haven't played Myst since I was about 5, I beat it then, but now I can't remember how the puzzles went :(

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I once tried Dwarf Fortress, having heard good things about it, and it sounded like the sort of game I'd like. Then I actually booted it up. The UI is one of the most horrifying things mankind has ever created. It's the Cthulu of game interfaces, unable to be understood even at the most basic level by mere mortals.

lunavixen said:
DEFCON and Myst, I don't understand DEFCONs interface as it's very unfriendly, and I haven't played Myst since I was about 5, I beat it then, but now I can't remember how the puzzles went :(
It's worth sticking with DEFCON. It may not have the friendliest of interfaces, but it works and the end result is worth it, if rather depressing.

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
In Dynasty Warriors 2, the first time I fought Lu Bu. Well, I say 'fought', but I guess you can't really call it a fight when he obliterated me in a matter of seconds. Only then did I learn the true meaning of "Do not pursue Lu Bu!"

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Any RTS. Starcraft 2, whatever. I think it's something my mind could handle, it's just that the way my mind works doesn't gel with what they expect of the player. Because of this, any thought of grand strategy/4x shit sends me right in the other direction.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
krazykidd said:
MysticSlayer said:
Most 2D fighting games. I got Smash Bros. down easily as well as BlazBlue, and once I got the basic mechanics of Injustice down I was able to start playing it decently. However, make me play any other 2D fighter, especially the Marvel vs. Capcom series, and I have no hope of keeping up with anyone who even has a mediocre level of skill. Of course, it doesn't help that I spend 50% of my time in them wondering if I made a mistake or if the game just doesn't control well enough, and that only is made worse when I come across games like BlazBlue where it is very easy to master the basic moves and timing.
Funny because for me it's the oposite .i find blazblue ( and Guilty gear ) to be way too complicated for my mind to comprehend . So many things you have to know to play this game . I never won a match against another player despite hours in training mode .

Where as , with UMVC3 and SSF4 , i was winning ( not by much at first ) as soon as i went online. I have gone on to get a lot better at UMVC3 with my ragamuffin teams .
Yeah, that tends to be a major trend among my friends. I have a couple friends who play UMVC3 and SSF4 very competitively, and I know at least one of them has been to some big-name tournaments. However, they constantly complain about how hard BlazBlue is (I don't think they've ever played Guilty Gear). Even though I'm by no means a master with my main characters (Noel, Mu, and Lambda in that order), they're still rather impressed by what I can do with them, and game nights with them generally ends with me easily tearing through them, even in Noel vs. Litchi battles (which, for us, is a horribly unbalanced match-up in Litchi's favor). On the other hand, most games of UMVC3 against them generally ends with me putting the controller down in defeat while they are busy taking out my first character. I've gotten better since I started playing my brother (who's at least decent at UMVC3) and with my friends, but I just can't seem to get that game down.

Godlikebuthumble

Sep 10, 2008
Ones I don't play as much as I'd like, not necessarily for "difficulty" reasons but more the "ain't nobody got time for"-absorbing of knowledge needed, are things like EVE Online (I really, really love the concept, but I have a life to live) or The Secret World (again, love the game, but playing solo when you get the couple of minutes won't take you far). Maybe the reason why Total War and Civ IV/V have swallowed chunks of my life - involved, yet reeeally accessible.

OT: RTS. Played Dune II half of the GDI campaign in original C&C way back when, thought "this is tough", then gave it a rest. Then played Z, got utterly annihilated, thought "f*** this and its dog", and all RTS gaming I did since then was watching a buddy play the campaign in Warcraft III. RTS is not something for my momma's son.