I'm thinking about starting to watch gundam, where should I start?

DAAANtheMAAAN

Sep 5, 2011
I'm sure most have alluded to the same, but I'll say it anyway.

It's very similar to what Moviebob said about getting into comics. It doesn't matter where you start. Start watching whatever catches your eye. If you like Gundam, then you might be set to dive into the full 35 years of animation.

As with most folks in my age range Gundam Wing was my first series and as far as I'm concerned it's held up very well. You might want to go with that or try one of the short OVA's from the 80's or 90's. There are very few legitimate duds in the Gundam metaseries, so you can't really go wrong whatever you start off with.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I would recommend doing some homework and going with the series that most interests you since there's so much Gundam to chose from. Personally, G Gundam was my favorite but I also liked Mobile Suit, 0083, and Wing. I would avoid SD Gundam though as it seems to be meant for younger audiences and it full of cringe-worthy humor.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
To be honest, I'm a little surprised at the outpouring of love I'm seeing for 0083. Don't get me wrong, I liked the show alright, but it's nowhere near the quality of 0080 or 08th MS team. Sure, the mecha designs are off-the-charts cool, it has some great fight scenes, a cool opening theme, and the novelty factor of the only nuclear-armed mobile suit in the Gundamverse... but Kou Uraki is one of the all-time great hate-able protagonists of anime, to say nothing of the general dickishness of Bernard Monsha and the complete absurdity of the Nina Purpleton love triangle.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
As per usual, I support Gundam Wing.
It's a dense and tense sci-fi, warfare, political drama show on a level I can't really compare to much else...aside from Battlestar Galactica.

Also, yea, probably the best Gundam designs.

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm gonna look around and see what do I start with, now that I know they're not all connected I gonna see what gets my attention and start from there.