I'm thinking on getting PS Vita. Any Recommendations?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Tales of Hearts R is good but has japanese only voices.

Loved Freedom Wars but same issue.

seventy two

Mar 7, 2011
I actually did what OP is considering, for the same reason, I found a bundle on amazon for ~$80, that got me the console(PSTV), controller, and a memory card(And vouchers for games I'll never play).

Haven't had the time to look into any other games, but I plan to keep an eye on this thread.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
a few indies you might consider, Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac

the Hyperdemension neptunia series has a few games on the Vita if you like jrpgs

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I don't know what of these games have been mentioned, but I love my Vita and either me or my wife play it daily.

First off, get a PS+ subscription. More than half of the games I have for the Vita and PS3 have come from it and on the Vita side they've been mostly great. Also, find a cheap(er) 32 or 64 GB memory card on Ebay (or Amazon if you're more comfortable with it), you'll be glad you did. Also, if you don't need a game right now and it isn't on PS+, there's sales on at least a few games all the time, with additional discounts for PS+ members.

Also, I highly recommend spending 10 bucks on handle grips that make it feel like you're holding a controller, it's much more comfortable. Move up to 20-25 and there's grips with a battery pack in them for extra battery life.

You definitely want to play Dangonronpa 1 and 2 before the third one, and while the third is a bit of a departure it's definitely worth it too.

Muramasa Rebirth and Dragon's Crown - You can play Muramasa on the Wii, and DC on the PS3, but both those games absolutely shine on the Vita, and the screen makes them look gorgeous. If you aren't at all into 2D brawling you might want to look at a video to be sure.

Soul Sacrifice Delta - I put over 100 hours into the original, and will approach that number again with Delta. I can't get into Monster Hunter, but this game takes a darker aesthetic and cuts right to the meat of 4-players tearing down a gigantic beast with booming attacks and gigantic HP bars. Just as playable in single-player.

LittleBigPlanet - I don't like any of the LBP games on PS3. The touchscreen interface and other Vita "gimmicks" and level design/story on this entry though make it a game I really enjoy, and the level editor is a snap to use. Playing other people's creations changes entire genres at times and it's great.

Gravity Rush - If you're into open-world games with lite RPG elements, this one is a must. Cute and endearing protagonist, interesting city, and very different controls that actually work. I've had more fun with it than any Assassin's Creed game.

Disgaea 3 and 4 - You already know I'm sure if you're into Disgaea, but if not it's a quirky and delightful series of very strategy based JRPGs that feel right at home on the Vita. Vita versions include all extras and DLC from PS3 and more crammed onto the little screen.

Tearaway - It's a platformer, and it's easy, but it really is an absolutely magical game in a world of paper that uses almost every aspect of the Vita system.

Persona 4 Golden - The definitive version of one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. You can have Persona 1-4 on the Vita, but 1 and 2 may be too rooted in old-school design philosophies these days.

Ys: Memories of Celceta - A perfectly fine starting point to jump into the Ys series, and an absolutely fantastic action-JRPG in its own right.

If you like FPS games at all, Killzone: Mercenary is the greatest and best looking incarnation of an FPS game on a handheld. Period. Unless you really love FPS games, though, the novelty of how amazing the technological feat is wears off when there's better FPS games on the big platforms.

Sword Art Online - Depends on your opinion of the anime, and the idea of playing a "VRMMO" (you aren't online with others, it's simulated), but there's hundreds of hours of game here that includes an HD remake of the PSP original as well. The translation is pretty bad though.

If you're into fighting games, the ports of Mortal Kombat and Injustice are butter smooth with only a graphical downgrade, but you can't play online anymore. Blazblue, Street Fighter X Tekken, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 are perfectly suitable replacements, but I gravitate to Mortal Kombat personally.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is an amazing thing to be able to pull out at any time and do a run.

You have the ability to play Final Fantasy 1-X-2 at any time.

If you're into Terraria and/or Minecraft, the Vita is the best way to play those games portably aside from carrying a laptop with you.

If you like shooters/shmups (I'm a freak for them), there's Geometry Wars 3, Velocity Ultra/2X, Resogun, Sine Mora, Pixeljunk Shooter, TxK (Vita exclusive spiritual sequel to Tempest 2000), Luftrausers, and Gunslugs.

A list of games from other systems that I prefer to play on the Vita due to portability and/or how great the screen looks: Spelunky, Rayman Origins, Guacamelee!, OlliOlli 1 & 2, Hotline Miami 1 & 2 (these are so much better with the touchscreen), Rogue Legacy, Steins;Gate (VN, but might be one of the best stories in any medium), Grim Fandango, Bit Trip Runner 2, Child of Light, Lone Survivor (great at night in bed with headphones), and La-Mulana EX.

Those are just the games I own, I wouldn't mind picking up the MGS HD collection, Sly collection, RE Revelations 2, Tales of Hearts R, Lost Dimension, Hyperdimension Neptunia, or Toukiden:Kiwami if they ever go on sale or are PS+ games. The only game I paid full price for was Borderlands 2, and I'm not sure if I regret it. The graphics are extremely downgraded and the framerate is permanently at 15-20 fps, but it's the whole shebang with 6 characters and 2 DLC areas. I got used to it, then I played remote play on my friends PS4 and his Handsome Collection version and it was no fucking contest at that point, and it's hard to go back. Oh yeah, that's another thing! If you ever get a PS4, you get the ability to play portable Dragon Age 3, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2, and pretty much whatever the hell else is on PS4. I can't wait to be able to do that and let my wife have the TV.

But yeah, shame they didn't make any games for the damned Vita...

Jerast

Jul 17, 2015
I wouldn't recommend it man. The Vita just isn't that good, I bought one and instant regret. There aren't enough good games on it to justify a purchase in my opinion.

Besides it's so old now who knows how close their next one is (assuming the vita didn't kill the chances of another handheld)

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
OhNoYouDidnt said:
Just wanted to correct this... Disgaea 5 and Persona 5 aren't coming to the Vita. Disgaea 5 is PS4-only, Persona 5 will have a PS3 and a PS4 version. SK:EV (I'm assuming this means Senran Kagura: Estival Versus?) will have a Vita version, however.
Huh. My bad. I could have sworn they were getting vita releases...maybe I confused P5 for Dancing All Night.

And I just assumed D5 would happen. That sucks.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
LostGryphon said:
- Persona 4 Golden
- Persona 3 Portable
- Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
- Disgaea 4
- Dragon's Crown
- Gravity Rush
- Akibas Trip
- Neptunia Series

And...some stuff that's coming out soon? Disgaea 5, SK:EV, and P5 come to mind.
How are the Neptunia games on vita compare to Neptunia V on PS3? Are they better, worst, or about the same quality?

I'm not sure if would enjoy Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus. While I do enjoy some fanservice, such as Skullgirs, Bayonetta, ect., I think that game might be a bit overkill for me.

DrunkOnEstus said:
Super Snipped
OlliOlli does look interesting and I might buy Rogue Legacy on the Vita (I beat it on the PS3 when I was on PS+). As far as the Sword Art Online games, well I heard that they don't have a dub and that the 1st one has a terriable translation. Ys: Memories of Celceta does sound cool. Since I already have Disgaea 3 & 4, I'm not sure I'll buy those two. If Muramasa had a dub, I would of definitely get it soon, since I do like Vanillaware's stuff and I don't have a Wii.

I'll probably get Dangonronpa 1 & 2 sometime after getting a Vita (or Vita TV).

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
coates32 said:
How are the Neptunia games on vita compare to Neptunia V on PS3? Are they better, worst, or about the same quality?

I'm not sure if would enjoy Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus. While I do enjoy some fanservice, such as Skullgirs, Bayonetta, ect., I think that game might be a bit overkill for me.
The Neptunia games (re;birth) are basically remakes of the original titles that are, I think anyway, better.

Battles are quite different and quality is better overall.

And Senran Kagura is an interesting beast. There's lots of fanservice, but I think the characters and beat-em-up gameplay are good enough to overlook it if it's a problem for ya...though I think Bayonetta is actually more fanservicey, even with the clothing destruction mechanic. >_>

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
If you like JRPGs then the Vita is actually a decent console and one of the few occasions where it can be recommended.

Tales of Hearts R is fun and so are the Ys games. There's also the Shin Megami Tensei games including the Persona games Persona 3 and 4 from the PSP and the Vita respectively.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
LostGryphon said:
coates32 said:

The Neptunia games (re;birth) are basically remakes of the original titles that are, I think anyway, better.

And Senran Kagura is an interesting beast. There's lots of fanservice, but I think the characters and beat-em-up gameplay are good enough to overlook it if it's a problem for ya...though I think Bayonetta is actually more fanservicey, even with the clothing destruction mechanic. >_>
With that Senran Kagura game, it's not so much of kind of fanservice is in it as to how it is spread out through out the game while I'm fighting different enemies. I think Siliconery had an article how some the service hindered the gameplay for some. With that said, if there's a demo of any of the Senran Kagura games that are consoles that I own or will own soon (such as the PS4, PS Vita), I'll be more than willing to give it a shot.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
A lot of good recommendations already in this thread.
For quirky Japanese games the Vita is a shoo in: Senran Kagura, P4G, Disgaea 3/4, Phantom Breaker...
For a quick Indie fix I had lots of fun with Guacamelee, Velocity, Velocity 2X.

And I actually really enjoy to take the big console ports on the road with me.
Borderlands (already mentioned above), with cross save so you can level up your toon on the subway.
God of War 1 and 2.
And most of all Ninja friggen Gaiden 1 and 2. Yes, there are some framerate drops especially on the higher difficulties (not many ever even get there) and there are some genuinely stupid design decisions like forcing you to play co-op with CPU partners that make it IMPOSSIBLE to beat the more difficult missions. But, overall, taking Ryu on the road? Pure win.

For extra credit, 3rd birthday is technically a PSP game but plays much better on Vita.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
coates32 said:
LostGryphon said:
coates32 said:

With that Senran Kagura game, it's not so much of kind of fanservice is in it as to how it is spread out through out the game while I'm fighting different enemies. I think Siliconery had an article how some the service hindered the gameplay for some. With that said, if there's a demo of any of the Senran Kagura games that are consoles that I own or will own soon (such as the PS4, PS Vita), I'll be more than willing to give it a shot.
Senran Kagura plays really well and the story is actually decent.
Be warned however that it is the only game that has ever had me embarassed for playing it in public. Even though something like the "bridal carry" in SAO is way creepier if you think about it, Senran Kagura is just so in your face with the fan service. It really goes all out that way :)

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
PSP's Armored Core games (3/Silent Line/Last Raven) also play well on Vita's dual stick controls.
I'm glad TxK mentioned here, really a pleasure for Tempest 2000 fans. Also, Muramasa Rebirth has good amount of new content here (DLCs are new chapters with new characters).

Some other possible recommendations:

Shinobido 2 - sequel of PS2's stealth game from authors of Tenchu 1-2 (PSP had user made mission collection). It's a historic Japan themed stealth where you choose between different lords (some non-linearity in missions)

Dokuro - platformer from Grandia/Gungriffon's devs.

Deception IV - if you played Kagero: Deception on PS1, you may remember. It's a game where you fight enemies by setting traps. Though, this entry of series has big amount of fan service so that may not fit your tastes.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony - excellent part of puzzle series which was born on PSP.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines - jRPG which looks a bit similar to Okami in visuals.

Murasaki Baby, Hohokum and htol#NiQ - these three games are more audiovisual experience than platformers or smth. Take a look.

Natural Doctrine - it's a tactical RPG. It's definetely love/hate game. It has pretty interesting mechanic/system, but some people find it too unforgiving and having "cheap deaths".

Pheo1386

Dec 30, 2009
Rayman legends is pretty fun, and FFX and the MGS collection are pretty good.

Mainly tho, my vita is my "ps1 nostalgia" machine, with crash, SOTN and Resident Evil 2/3 being favourites. The indie games such as shovel knight and binding of Isaac are worth a go.

Long story short; awesome pick-up -and play machine, but not a patch on my PS4 for anything beyond a quick 30 min play here of there (FFX and MGS notwithstanding)