Im tired of "Better Graphics" being a major argument of PC vs. Console

Joabbuac

Feb 23, 2010
3asytarg3t said:
What's stupid is how held back game development for PCs is because the industry insists on porting games to consoles. Or in most cases with even more tragic results, the other way around.
True, making games that have to play on 7 year old hardware does that. I will say though that the console developers do get more out of what they have while PC developers rely on better tech - pushes the need to keep updating your machine if you want to stay on the cutting edge.

Consoles being a stable platform is a plus for developers also, not having to compensate for so many configurations.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
My main issue usually isn't the graphics, but the controls. I cannot stand using a joystick for camera movement. It's so flimsy

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
peruvianskys said:
Shadowstar38 said:
With a console, you can pop a game in there from the begining of the console's lifespan to the end without worrying about minimum system requirements.
I could live in a tent and marvel at how I never have to worry about my electric bill going up, but it doesn't change the fact that my living situation is objectively worse.
You can't say console gaming is objectively worse than PC gaming. They both have their strengths and it just comes down to which one you want to use.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I guess I like the convenience of having my work/play/misc in one machine.

Some find that distracting.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I have to say that I'm quite tired of that argument as well. The PC crowd do have some valid arguments such as mods and faster loading times and the graphics argument seems trivial in comparison.

For me the one thing that is driving me away from the PC is just how inaccessible it is. I'm not talking about the difficulty of operating a system but money. I realize that a good gaming rig doesn't cost $5000 but I don't like the idea of the games I'm able to play being restricted on whether or not I can afford to update my computer enough for them to perform well. Yet on a console I can play whatever game I wish that's available for that console (sometimes for previous consoles based on backwards compatibility) and 9 times out of 10 it will perform just as well regardless of how demanding it might be.

For example, I have a fairly decent computer that isn't very old but I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of playing Skyrim on it. Yet I have a PS3 that is able to play Skyrim (Not well but my mother insisted on getting the PS3 version instead of the 360 version).

All in all, I realize that the technology for games would advance more quickly if the limits of what a console can handle weren't holding them back but I would like to be able to play the games. Not just watch how much they're advancing.

...Ok, that turned out longer than I thought it would be. My apologies for the tangent.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
TheKasp said:
Shadowstar38 said:
You can't say console gaming is objectively worse than PC gaming. They both have their strengths and it just comes down to which one you want to use.
Consoles don't have strengths besides exclusives and that you can get them rather cheap now at the end of the lifecycle ("cheap" is when you already own a TV).

And sorry, all I see is that he compared the living situation to a console, not console gaming. And consoles are objectively worse in about every way.
As I've said, the headache I'd have to deal with in regards to upgrading the thing is a detriment. It's PCs are not objectively better, it's just a preferance.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Shadowstar38 said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Shadowstar38 said:
A slightly prettier picture isnt really a good enough argument for PC gaming to be superior. And really, that and the "FPS's are better" arguments are the only ones I've heard. spoken ad nauseum.
What about modding and customization? That's the main draw to PC, for me. Well, that and I like PC games...
Modding can possibly make a game more fun, I'll give you that. But customization is only an advantage if you know what all the shit in there is. With a console, you can pop a game in there from the begining of the console's lifespan to the end without worrying about minimum system requirements.

And somehow, Skyrim disproved that. It made a PS3 lag, when the X360 was the lead SKU for development.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Lately my gaming has been almost exclusively on PC. Basically...better graphics (my computer is pretty beefy, I do a lot of rendering), more customizability, no shitty xbox interface flooded by ads (along with shitty Mii ripoffs), much better prices (steam), having everything in one package with no discs (again steam). Add to that a wired xbox controller, emulators, mods, tons of free games (League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, etc), keyboard/webcam chat and webplayer games, among other things.

For example, I can play Just Cause 2 fully maxed out on everything on PC with better graphics, frame rates, etc. than the console versions, xbox controller and everything. Alt-tab and I can switch to Majora's Mask or Banjo Kazooie instantly, with the added convenience of save states.

Basically it's not that the graphics are better so much that the graphics are better, along with all the other good stuff you get.

Up until now I've mainly been a console gamer but the current console generation is just so far behind that it's really hard to pass up that kind of convenience. Consoles do have their advantages of course and come next console generation I'll probably do a lot more console gaming but who knows.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
I'm not certain that's correct. PCs provide better performance, better control options, more games (usually at cheaper prices), better mod capabilities, better online capabilities, better patching support, better digital distribution, and more dependable developer support. I honestly can't think of what a console can do that a PC can't.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
When looking for a potential mate, do you pick the person that looks the best, or who has the best personality? Hopefully the latter, but that doesn't mean you can't have both. It's a nice thing to have, just like fancy graphics are nice to have.

Also, for me it's mostly mods. That's what really makes PC gaming for me, without modding, I probably would be almost as happy with a console. Well, except for shitty controllers. Okay, two things.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
peruvianskys said:
Shadowstar38 said:
I'm not certain that's correct. PCs provide better performance, better control options, more games (usually at cheaper prices), better mod capabilities, better online capabilities, better patching support, better digital distribution, and more dependable developer support. I honestly can't think of what a console can do that a PC can't.
As far as control goes, I only see using a keyboard and mouse being useful in FPSs and RTSs. Anything else a controller works just as well.

The digital distribution and online stuff have worked fine for me. Also, as said in an earlier post, no faffing about with upgrades and the like. A console actually functions and is usable. The house to a tent analogy doesnt work.

Like I said, it's not "This one platform is greater than the other". It's all a matter of preferance.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
I don't mind that PC is better than console in multiple ways, whether that is shinier graphics or modding capabilities, nor do I mind that people tell me these things. What I do hate is when someone acts like a totally superior cock because they use a computer, it's one of the reasons I don't want to use PC, I hate the idea that I may one day become one of those guys.

Seriously, a PC gamer told me to, 'go play your shitbox you fucking console peasant.' today because I was talking about buying a game at gamestop.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
thepyrethatburns said:
So we're on the Escapist, one of the places where a common refrain among 360/ps3 users that criticizes the Wii is graphics but, when it comes to PC vs 360, the graphics argument suddenly becomes old and tired.

Wow. Simply...wow.
Well that is because the graphics aren't as much better as they are in the xbox versus Wii here is a visual representation:
Wii<<<<<<<<<<X-box>PS3>PC

Keep in mid the greater than signs only apply to the graphics in this case. Seeing as the Wii can't handle anything that looks more better than Twilight Princess. So the argument of the Wii an make sense while with PC it is much more of a it has slightly better graphical fidelity.I agree that it is stupid but I give my best shot to get into the stupid people's head. Though in my mind the things that are better about PC is performance and Steam.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I'll give you another reason! Two monitors, thats right I'm watching netflix right now! Earlier I was playing dead rising 2 while watching netflix(the walking dead specifically). Oh also Steam, nice to have all my games in on location no need for disk. Other than it all just boils down to preference.

Dielan9999

Jan 12, 2011
zellosoli said:
ok here's the set up

me and a friend both get the game "Sleeping Dogs", I get it for Xbox and he gets it for PC. We both like the game but is a pretty hardcore PC gamer and naturally tells me the PC version is superior to the Xbox version in every way. so I ask why.
Without fail the first and most fiery response is that the graphics are superior, while the rest of the argument on the other aspects of the PC version of the game is kinda sketchy and boil down to "because it on a PC hurr hurr"

now im not arguing the graphics on PC versions are not better, on the contrary most games look really polished on a PC. My gripe is that Ive never really put the technical specs of a game as the main argument on whether a PC version is better than a console version and genuinely perplexed why a lot of PC games make a big deal out of "whether a few pixels are smoother than the console version" when the rest of the game-play feels exactly the same

I mean the argument of PC V Console is more sound for FPS's since you can argue that the control is more accurate on PC but that's a game-play issue, I mean graphics are kinda minor compared to game-play and fun factor right?

or am I missing a bigger picture? is how the game looks actually whats driving the game industry today? I mean look at E3 and most release Videos, all flashy visuals and improved graphics being the big focus (final fantasy anyone?)

...OK I'm starting to go on a tangent here, what I'm trying to ask is anyone else noticing this too?

I get what you are saying but you need to look at it as two different arguments.

Your friend was comparing a console version of the same game to it's PC version. In which case the PC one was probably better looking. This IS a plus for the PC version. I do agree that graphics aren't the most important feature of the game. For example, years ago when the first Gears of War came out I would rather play SOCOM 3. Obvious GOW had better graphics, but SOCOM was a funner game. Now if we were talking about two different versions of the same game the gameplay is identical (save for the modding capabilities of all PC versions of games) so the only real difference is graphics.

I guess what I'm getting at is the PC version was just better, and your argument should be pointed at comparing two different games; where one is prettier, but the other is funner to play.