Imagine DLC in older games?

Horadrius

May 14, 2009
Recently I was mulling over old PS1 games (mostly old Final Fantasies) and was wondering, if the same games were released today, what the product would look like on release day.

Final Fantasy VII definitely would not have Vincent and Yuffie (and her plotline in Wutai) out of the box. Emerald and Ruby weapon would also doubtfully be there as well, and the same goes for those optional dungeons - the Ancients' Forest comes to mind.

Final Fantasy VIII - I'm not sure they would nix Ultima and Omega weapon, but I'm pretty sure that the Centra Ruins (Odin/Gilgamesh and Tonberry King GFs) would be a DLC...as well as the Islands Closest to Heaven/Hell.

I'd also kiss a lot of the extra sidequests in Final Fantasy Tactics goodbye, especially the 13-floor dungeon.

Up til now, I had no problem with the idea of DLC, and even still, I'm not *completely* against the idea of DLC, but it does make one wonder, especially when looking at older games, just how much extra stuff a game would come with, without involving a separate transaction.

Just my musings, though.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Travel back in time with me as we push further and further back into older games to snark about...

Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick...

"Huh? More enemies for Shadow of the Colossus? *Downloads and finds the land teeming with hundreds of Colossi* Oh fuck."

"Cool! A Legacy of Kain problem flowchart so I can understand all this timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly stuff!"

"Extra side-quests and background for Skies of Arcadia. Hmmm..."

"Huh?! A 'Make Final Fantasy 8 Actually GOOD for a change' mod? GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!"

*SPROING!! Epoch's busted...*

"Download power pellets?! What is this shit?! I need me to eat some ghosts RIGHT NOW!"