Imagine if you fell in love with a parallel universe version of yourself

Dark Motives

Jul 2, 2008
Dangit2019 said:
I'd rather have him be my roomate so that we could spend the rest of our lives having wacky hijinks.
Wait, you'd willingly friendzone yourself?

And i think i would probably enjoy it, should be for the most part hassle free, except for the normal womanly issues

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Dark Motives said:
Dangit2019 said:
I'd rather have him be my roomate so that we could spend the rest of our lives having wacky hijinks.
Wait, you'd willingly friendzone yourself?
I'd rather be just friends, honestly. Although, I am up for a "friends with benefits" type relationship with myself. In fact, I'm already in one!

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I don't think it would happen, to be honest. I'm pretty sure that if I met myself, I would probably hate him/me.

If I did happen to fall in love, then cool. At least I'd actually have a love interest for once in my life. :D

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
As a man of science, I am completely open to...experimenting. I think that we would both be able to agree that we don't care if such a thing would be immoral, assuming we both consent. Once we got over the initial shock, we would probably pick weapons to train and spar together with. Now whether we would pick the same different weapons, I don't know. And no, I wouldn't try to start a "Fight to the Death" scenario, it is just a lot easier to improve it you can have an outside perspective on exactly how you feel and react. Even better than filming all of your actions beforehand and then watching for ways you can improve.
Question: Are you considered "by yourself" if there are two of you in the room?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
This is the same question as the one about having sex with a clone of yourself: Is it incest or masturbation?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
SanAndreasSmoke said:
It wouldn't be anything new to me.
I already get aroused when I look into a mirror.

[sub][sub]Just kidding my narcissism score was only 20.[/sub][/sub]
Huh.
I got 21 and can look at myself for hours without getting bored.

If this parallel me would be a complete opposite we'd be looking at a really girly, short haired woman who shared none of my intrests. Wouldn't work out... At least gotta have dat long hair.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
As long as the parallel uni version is female, then I'd go for it.

I'd be hot as a chick. Plus I'm super cool in my own way.

I'd hit me, err her.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SO parallel universe me is a girl. Ok i guess that is possible. it would be, like you said, a perfect match. it does not mean that it would be anything else. HeShe is not me and therefore it would not be self-sex.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
HardkorSB said:
Revnak said:
We would make sweet love and have giant headed children. Also they would be a woman, for obvious reasons.

And considering that they are from another universe and are by necessity of the opposite sex I don't think there would be any good reason to be against it, save protecting the world from our superiorly cranially endowed children.
Since your genes would be the same, wouldn't that mean that the children would come out kind of Forrest Gump-ish?
Except that they obviously must have different genes then me as they are a different sex. Also, me as a female is not necessarily just me with two X chromosomes. In fact, one could argue that the rest of the genes would have to change significantly to produce a similar person due to them having to counter the significant differences in traits caused by changing the sex. Or even that environmental factors could produce a female me from significantly different genetics. Obviously for the sake of this scenario we will assume female me has similar genes, but not necessarily family level similar ones. In any other situation I doubt I would be okay with it.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Platonic love or sexual love?
If it is platonic love then it is just a version of narcissism?
It sounds more of a shrink-ish question to me than it is a Sci-Fi genre question. :)

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Well, my ideal romantic partner would hate me profusely and have too much self respect to want to associate with me on any level... so I can't see how that would work...<.<

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Isn't this a Red Dwarf episode?

But yeah, I think it technically counts as masturbation...

Would be interesting to find out what the Pope thought about it.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Having once met someone very similar to me, I thought they were kind of big headed, opinionated and a real pillock to be around. If my parallel universe counterpart was exactly like me, (but female) we'd probably not got along to well, if she was kinda like me but different in crucial ways (as a parallel me would probably be if DC comics have taught me anything), I could see it working.

OT: I think it would be a case of picking a world to be on (does their world lose them, or does your world lose you...) and it would be a fairly normal relationship (just a normal hetero/homo thing depending on your preference and them being your ideal partner) after all, they are your parallel counterpart, you in a different universe, so even though they are you, they're not you, and even though they might be very similar, they're still not really you. *I don't know, my brain logic stuff is getting all fuzzy because of the glorious snow outside of my window*

Kiltguy

Lurker extraordinaré
Jan 23, 2011
ProtoChimp said:
Kiltguy said:
-I have no idea what would happen, "Southland Tales" perhaps?
What is Southland tales?
This is "Southland Tales"...

Okay, it's not a parallel universe

One of the main characters meets himself, and the premises of the movie is that a soul can't exist in two places at the same time, and the world implodes... I think. The movie is kinda trippy.

That's is why I made that reference; Since me and my alternative universe me, are basically the same person.