Immersive first person games

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series is generally the go-to franchise for immersive first-person games. Even if you don't consider them the best, they are pretty much unquestionably at the top of the league, at least when not dealing with the stupid glitches that plague the games if you don't have them all patched up. The Metro game are also a good place to go if you don't mind a little more linearity to the level design.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a good first-person horror game and arguably the scariest game you'll ever play. Even during the beginning, which is comparatively light on the scares, is still incredibly immersive and able to send chills up your spine.

As for the BioShock games, the first one is almost universally accepted as a great experience, provided you didn't play System Shock 2 beforehand. BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite are a little more debatable, but I personally found most of BioShock 2 to still be at the very least enjoyable, and the first half of Infinite was great too. Whether or not you find the second half of Infinite enjoyable is hard to tell, as that's generally where the debates begin about whether or not the game is good.

Also, if you enjoyed Fallout 3 and Skyrim, then you should check out Fallout: New Vegas. I know there's quite a bit of debate between Fallout 3 and New Vegas fans about which one is better, with many claiming that only the one they like is good, but if you can put up with an excessive amount of deja vu, then New Vegas should still be a good game. If you already have Oblivion or Morrowind, you can check that out, but I've traditionally found the Elder Scrolls series to be very hard to move forward through, and even harder to move backwards through.

Also, while I know the Crysis series is really not known for being great, I found Crysis 2 to be an excellent game.

SouthernStar

Jul 23, 2013
Minecraft even though its not a shooter. Far cry 3 has already been mentioned. Fallout new vegas is pretty fun also.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I'd add Riddick: Butcher Bay and Dark Athenia... Some of the worlds and designs are great, and the stealth approach to the combat slows the pace down so you can experience it more... Being in the prisons is particularily immersive!

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
Hehe nice to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series mentioned, cheers fellas!

Now for my own input, I agree with Mr. Elementary here, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena (considering the latter release includes both games and the first with updated graphics and gameplay to match the second, feels like an ongoing game between the two instead of separate entries, great series with fantastic voice work), aside from that I'd also recommend Penumbra: Black Plague and Overture, Brothers in Arms, Painkiller (yes it's imnersive with fantastic atmosphere to complement the hectic gameplay), Unreal and my own personal favorite alongside S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (seriously no mention of it in a thread about immersive first person games... shame, right get the unofficial patch for it).

Have fun mate!

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I was going to suggest Skyrim but you've already mentioned that one. Might want to give Alan Wake a try, if you haven't already.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
IceForce said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Though it does go into 3rd person view when climbing ladders, hiding behind cover, and during (some) dialog sequences.
This, very much this.
You can't help but get immersed in Deus Ex games.
It's that almost palpable atmosphere.

Callie

Aug 22, 2012
The first games that come to mind would be not so much the immersive ones as it would be the likes of Halo and just games which are fun to play.

Good First person games which get you involved..Have you played Slender? Dishonored is quite good if not a bit short for this as well.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
The Metroid Prime games are some of the most immersive games I can think of personally. The environments are well made and fun to explore. Enemies are everywhere yet they don't break the flow of the game. It can go from dark to bright visually and everything in between just by going through several different rooms. Controls work so well with the gameplay so the game never feels unfair, or like it's trying to cheat you in some way.