Immortality...

Bas Smeets

Apr 11, 2010
AlAaraaf74 said:
Curse: Everyone you will ever know or love will/is going to die.
Actually, they are going to die as it is. Immortality just ensures it happens before you die.

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
Actually, I'd like the Dr. Manhattan kind of immortality, along with his powers I'd essentially cease to be human anyway, which is something I have nothing against. Humans are stupid, emotional, irrational creatures and I'm ashamed to be one of 'em(though not nearly as emotional or irrational as the average person, apparently, something I'm pround of).
I want to live forever and know everything. And I do mean everything. And then experiment. A whole lot.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
How Immmortal are we talking here, because living through our sun going super nova wouldn't be cool. Even then you'll have probably spent the last few million years living on a planet where the human race died of long ago and has been replaced by a succession of more and more alien lifeforms and through a variety of hostile climates.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
If you are immortal then you would have to see all of your friends die generation after generation.

I really, really would not like to live forever

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Cracked had an article about the many reasons eternal life would suck. One of the things they brought up is that there is a finite possibility of getting stuck without ever being able to get loose - and so in the course of an eternal life, that is a very likely event. Being stuck in one place for eternity doesn't sound too nice.

Immortality/eternal life really just seems good at a glance, put some thought into it and it just seems like a horrible fate: Eventually, making friends will just seem pointless, as they will all die soon anyway; there is nothing new to do, just repeating things you've already done; no reason to learn anything new, as it will soon (from your perspective) be outdated anyway...

If you are immortal (as in, cannot die) rather than have eternal life (as in, cannot die of old age), you'll have the added bonus of there being no dangers, no downsides to contrast with the upsides. And, of course, eventually the universe will die - but you will live on, forever alone in an empty space. Eventually, you'll no longer remember what it was like to not be alone.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
For some reason, I thought of the Twilight Zone episode where the guy sells his soul to the devil and for immortality, then kills his wife to try and tantalize the police into giving him the death penalty. Of course, then the guy's lawyer get's him to life in prison, to which he says "Besides, you've only got like what, 30-40 more years to live? This won't be that bad."
That's one of the main reasons immortality would be an issue. The events in which the average human would die from starvation or suffocation or just life in a box, there'd be no escape. The worst thing that could happen to an immortal is developing FOP after you become an immortal. That would be a fate worse than death.
If you don't know what FOP is, it's when your ligaments become damaged, and instead of regrowing like normal ligaments, they ossify, which means they regenerate with bones. So, basically, if you have FOP, you're pretty much a statue until you die of starvation. The only things you could move would be your tongue, eyelids, and possibly lips.
I'm sorry for giving you all nightmares.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
I'd take immortality ONLY if suicide could kill me, at least then I'd have a way to end it if I had enough.

And before anyone starts on me I am not promoting suicide but without a way out of it then I'd just stay mortal.

mrscott137

Apr 8, 2010
Long as I could stay young(ish), or get stuck with random debilitating diseases with no cure, I would not mind it at all, I would want to see what happens to the world.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
I'd take it any day, even if it's just with age and not physically immortal too. The knowledge you could acquire, all the things you could do! I'd take that any day! That and free pension for the rest of your life!

TheDarklite

Nov 26, 2010
Tanakh said:
Angry Camel said:
Being immortal would be interesting for a long time, but I'd get sick of it eventually. Imagine if you fell into a pit and you couldn't get out or no-one ever knew you were there. You'd be stuck in a hole for all eternity.
Pff, with enough time and if you are immortal you can even chew your way up in a couple of decades.
Exactly, you would just Minecraft your way out of there ;P

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Wait. Are we talking about the immortality that you cannot die under any circumstances or are we talking immortality like the Elves from LoTR where they just don't age but can die from mortal wounds?

If it's the first one then I would do it just so I could test thing like jumping out of planes without a parachute but it would get lonely eventually.

If it's the Elves immortality then again I would. I'd love to just sit and watch the world develop. Also if the Earth began to die then I could end my own life to escape it.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
Depends, immortality= you can't be KILLED or immortality= you can't die from old age?

If it's the secound one, I'd take it. Since, if I become tired of it, I can commit suicide. Easy as.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Fuck yeah, I'd take immortality. Don't even care what comes after life, I'm not willing to risk it.

Not sure how memory would work, though. Worst come to worse, I'd have to keep about a million journals, for when my brain literally cannot take any more information. Maybe I'd be able to rig up a hard drive extension for my memory? That would be sweet.

Well, assuming I could work that out, I'd just take the time to learn everything, to do everything. I'd build a gorram spaceship, fly to Proxima-frigging-Centauri, just because I can. I'd just need a push, really, given that time is not a problem.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Yes, it just boils down how you define immortality.
What happens the day the whole human race dies down because of the final apocalyptic showdown religous warfare nuclear catastrophe kind of thing?

You just walk the barren wasteland hoping to find someone else who is immortal or survived?
How long until it gets boring? 2000 years, 3000 years?

Oh and let us imagine that the sun goes supernova and earth is shattered. Congratulations, you are now drifting into space for about 3,000,000,000 Million years until you hit a planet where there you most likely will be stranded for the same amount of time because no lifeform will emerge there.
No, immortality is too limited. Immortality & Suicide Options might be acceptable but I rather go for godhood.

archaicmalevolence

Jul 16, 2010
I wouldn't admit not being enticed by the idea of being immortal, but in general I'd prefer not to live forever, with the thought it would go to better use on someone else. That and the fact I'd kill myself for living forever.

RemuValtrez

Sep 14, 2011
This is something I have had many discussions with friends about. The only major downside is losing the ones you love. Most people in books or games that deal with that become cynical and anti-social. So they don't have the chance to be hurt again. Overall, it is something that I would like to have. You could learn and experience so much! But then again, being immortal and being secret about it would be pretty impossible in this day and age. I mean, if you were known, there would be too many people going after you for testing and such. Secrecy would be necessary for it to work out.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Kwaku Avoke said:
Techno Squidgy said:
Kwaku Avoke said:
Yup depends on if there's an afterlife. If not then I would become all knowledgeable and eternal. Ideally with eternal youth as well. If not then I don't wanna know what it would be like as a 200 year old man.
Imagine the beard. The knowledge of centuries combined with the greatest beard to grace the earth. Suddenly immortality sounds a lot more bearable doesn't it?
Cool beards are cool of course but immortality wouldn't help if i were senile. As long as youth to the degree of full bodily functions and motor control is given then i wouldn't mind.
I was working under the assumption that you retained brain and body functions as well as general motor skills. Perhaps if you became like one of those old people that still remain remarkably fit and healthy.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
http://www.cracked.com/article_18708_5-reasons-immortality-would-be-worse-than-death.html

This. If you can't be bothered to read it. Basically.

-Everyone will evolve while you stay as you are. So you will be a freak in 1 million years.

-It would be bad as hell news if anyone found out. So it's gonna be hard to stop people finding out. You will have to leave everything behind.

-You still get older mentally. Your brain will be crammed with experiences and knowledge, you will eventually go insane.

-Your conscious sense of time will speed up. So when you're 100 years old. 60 seconds will feel like 6 seconds. This will keep increasing infinitely.

-If you get trapped anywhere, you're screwed. You may be found eventually from anywhere from 1 day, to x million years. And lets face it, that's gotta suck.