Play out your impish fantasies.

Read Full Article

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Eh, that trailer really didn't inspire me to go buy it, there was nothing in it about how gameplay actually works, just how it looks when it goes to plan. The best part of DoW was the dynamic situations you could get yourself into.

Also it's from Paradox Interactive, meaning it'll ship with so many bugs it'll be a few months before they fix it. See also "Magicka"

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So, is there any reason to prefer Impire over the likes of... oh... Dungeonland?

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I want this to be awesome. I so, so want this to be awesome. I'm actively trying to supress the urge to "squeee" like a schoolgirl.

Alright fellas, you got me. I'm intrigued and hopeful.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
So, ah, how might I obtain this little gem? Because I want it. Now. Like right now. NOW.
Also you're going to want to check out War For The Overworld. It looks to be beautiful, and is a genuine successor to Dungeon Keeper. They're even getting Richard Ridings to reprise his role as the Mentor! ;D
www.WFTOGame.com

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
gigastar said:
So, is there any reason to prefer Impire over the likes of... oh... Dungeonland?
They're completely different games?

However, what you actually want to get your dungeon keeping on is War for the Overworld, which has the distinct benefit of not being made by Cyanide, who suck.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
gigastar said:
They're completely different games?

However, what you actually want to get your dungeon keeping on is War for the Overworld, which has the distinct benefit of not being made by Cyanide, who suck.
I wouldn't hate on Cyanide too much. I recently picked up Of Orcs and Men, and while the combat was rather lousy, I liked the fact they were trying something new with the plot, I mean, it's been at least a few years since the last "Humans are bad" game...

And hey, Cycling Manager 2009 wasn't that bad either...

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
ResonanceSD said:
Also it's from Paradox Interactive, meaning it'll ship with so many bugs it'll be a few months before they fix it. See also "Magicka"
But Magicka did end up being an awesome game. ... Eventually.

OT: I'm actually really excited about this. Just from what was said in the preview/interview thing. Will wait for more information before I decide if I want to get it in the first week... But I'm almost certain I'll end up owning this game eventually. It sounds great.

tce11

Turtle Who Lives in the Clouds
Apr 17, 2008
I read the article first, got really excited, then watched the trailer and got really disappointed.

I'm still hopeful for this game, it sounds fun and I want to see it actually being played, I just think that was a really bad trailer. Horribly cheesy music, badly edited, and the way the title was angled, then changed angle at the very end in time with the music was so bad I laughed out loud (haven't seen that in years).

Why doesn't anybody show actual gameplay mechanics in trailers anymore? Especially with a game like this, where the whole experience depends on the UI.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Please don't be another Dungeons please don't be another Dungeons please don't be another Dungeons.
There hasn't been ANYTHING other than Evil Genius since DK2 to fill this particular itch. I need this game to be good.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Denamic said:
Please don't be another Dungeons please don't be another Dungeons please don't be another Dungeons.
There hasn't been ANYTHING other than Evil Genius since DK2 to fill this particular itch. I need this game to be good.
Dungeons had the most baffling mechanics I have ever seen. You had to design traps that would harm an adventurer AFTER they have entered your dungeon and attempted to steal something or observe something. So they would walk in then walk out the same way... so you're supposed to trap the area AFTER they've walked in?

They took Dungeon Keeper then threw in this whole pointless hero satisfaction mechanic. You're not supposed to satisfy your opponent, you're supposed to kill him.

Dungeon Keeper 3 was supposed to touch on finally invading the overworld. Building up a force of monsters by fighting the adventurers who dared enter your domain - for their silly ideals of goodness and righteousness - then turn your monsters' newly honed skills on the now defenceless population for fun and profit. HOW have games managed to screw that most SIMPLE concept up?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
There has been a dearth of management games. I never was really into dungeon keeper... But evil genius... That's a game I played the shit out of. It's big weakness was over world interaction. If umpire nails that and maintains the base management, we have a win.

Can you tell us whether it felt like a buggy unplayable mess a la sword of the stars 2, or do agreements related to previews prevent you from doing so?

I'll be watching this closely come the 14th.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Ah, I remember Dungeon Keeper. It was one of the few games that made me appreciate how much work all those evil villains had to go through to actually BUILD the dungeon that the heroes ultimately loot and pillage in under a week. I actually ended up rewriting some of my own dungeons in D&D because of that game.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
My question: Is there tactical Pause? I'm a little worried by the "You have to constantly be on your toes" remark. I like to build up slowly and strategically. That kind of becomes a problem when I have to maneuver troops while also attending to the base building.

Between seeing the Steam Page for this yesterday and then this preview today, I almost bought this game immediately. Till I saw that quote. Now, I'm a little more dubious. If it doesn't have a tactical pause I may wait until the price drops a bit, unless they release a demo.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
I saw Totalbiscuit's video on this game's Alpha/Beta thing (can't remember)

when i saw it on steam i bought it in a instant...well now i have something to look forward to on Valentine's day...

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
tselski said:
Why doesn't anybody show actual gameplay mechanics in trailers anymore? Especially with a game like this, where the whole experience depends on the UI.
Paradox released a gameplay video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFYzeGb3Q6I& if you're interested.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Gentleman Adventurer said:
I hope this will be like Overlord, you know, but good.
Hey now... Overlord was alright... just a'little rough round the edges... *sigh*

Anyways, I better get me some demonic mistresses or no deal!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Mix between dungeon keeper and dawn of war? Hey i like both those games! Color me interested.

Though after others mentioned it, went to see what fuss is about for War for the overworld and gotta admit... That game im liking the sounds off more. Yey for kickstarter games.