Impulse buying.... and owning things that are really cool, but you blatantly don't need...

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Heh, no. Having not worked in High School and having no money to spend because of that makes me frugal.

It embarrasses me when people I know with financial problems go out and buy extra things. It's stupid, man.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Mostly books...I tend to buy at least 50 books a year, and then just hoard the good ones, which is becoming quite an issue with the storage situation.

My largest big purchase that turned out to be absolutely useless would have to be a full head mask of Osama Bin Laden a couple of years ago during my Fresher's week. It has even fewer uses than I thought it would...

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Several tabletop games that I've found cheap, with the most recent ones being a pile of tins and boosters for the "Pirates" collectible miniatures game (the one where the minis are printed on card stock and it's sold like a trading card game) and a copy of this boardgame about a fictional second Korean war that was to take place in 1995. I will probably never play either one of them, nor will I play any of the other ridiculous strategy games taking up space in my closet, yet there they sit...

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I have a sweet pocket watch that I really haven't used.

I keep telling myself that I'm waiting for a formal event, where I can wear the watch with a waistcoat, but I doubt it will actually happen.

I really like the pocket watch though :D
Formal event? Bah! Just do what I do, overdress like a mo'fo on a night out and rock that pocket watch like a classy chap!

Although you can't really see the pocket watch because of the flash, you get the drift.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
A wooden Dodo made from flat press-out wooden sheets that I bought in a shop because I thought it'd look good on my shelf when assembled. It's still sat there now doing nothing.

A skateboard deck I got when browsing for a present for someone else. I got it because I loved the design on it. It's hanging on the wall over my bed.

A vynl figure of a spray paint can with a cartoon design on it. Got it because I saw it in a magazing and decided I needed to own it. It's sat in a box on my wardrobe as it's got nowhere to go.

Books. I find it hard to walk into a bookshop and leave empty handed. I browse, find an interesting one (or more) and think 'I'll never remember this title later, I'll just get it now...' I must buy 30-50 a year and I'm starting to run out of storage room for them.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I use to have a problem buying RPG books and never actually playing them. There's a few nWoD books I have that I will probably never play, and some cWoD books that I bought just for the artwork (looking at you Wraith: The Oblivion. One of the advantages to apartment living is your limited space, which in turn makes it harder to make large purchases without thinking of the consequences.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I impulse bought Shin Megami Tensei: Person 4 yesterday. I don't need it but I am really loving it. I am thinking of picking up Persona 3: FES later on.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I was thinking of buying a new laptop but then I realised its probably not worth it to spend all that money on somthing that barely functions for what I want it to do

so that means eather borderlands 2 on an average PC or...PS3

GAAAAAAAAGGHHHHH I HATE MY LIFE!!

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
This might seem a tad generic, but Steam games. I have bought a number of games on Steam, such as Red Faction Guerilla, Magicka and Rochard that were on sale at the time, but which I never actually play. Might get around to them sometime, but Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 come out this week, so that might be a problem...

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I have a collection that currently contains 175 Transformers. What do you think?

Here's a few highlights:

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I have two Force FX light sabers, both of which being the Darth Maul single so as to have the Darth Maul double blade. MSRP for both would have been $200 but I only paid about $125 for both of them. That sounds like justification to me!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
I have two Force FX light sabers, both of which being the Darth Maul single so as to have the Darth Maul double blade. MSRP for both would have been $200 but I only paid about $125 for both of them. That sounds like justification to me!
Damn... that is cool! I really want them myself! I want to have a couple as lighing in my room! Especially now that Kit Fisto's is availiable! :p

Leemaster777 said:
I have a collection that currently contains 175 Transformers. What do you think?
Epic! That is loads! When did you start collecting?

ZehMadScientist said:
A few years back I was on a flea market, and I inpulsively bought the following:

A goddam Unicycle. I have used it once, broke a finger in the process, and I've let it rot in my attic ever since. I might actually try to ride it again... Showing up for school with a unicycle does seem like a neat idea now that I think about it.

This one doesn't really count but I'll put it here anyway.

A katana umbrella. Practical AND awesome.
You should definitely do the unicycle thing... getting to school on one is bretty bad-arse!
Also... that is a smashing umbrella! Umbrellas should always be novelty, no matter what! I have a 'lightsaber' umbrella, that is awesome, but at the bottom of the handle there is also an LED torch... it is so damn useful when walking down paths at night! And getting into my room when drunk... can never find that damn keyhole! :/

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
uhhm, I recently bought myself a brush pen. I really shouldn't have since every cent that I have should be going towards gas, but it was the best 15 dollars I've spent in a while.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Epic! That is loads! When did you start collecting?
About a year ago at this point.

It began with Beast Wars. I had recently re-watched the series, and in that spirit, I dug my old toys out of the attic. After messing with them for a bit, I realized that I already had most of the characters from the show, so I figured "What the hell?" and set about finishing up the set.

After I had obtained a complete set of characters from the show, I ended up looking into other Transformers, and the rest is history.

At this point, I more or less buy anything I think is cool. But, above all else, I'm a bargain hunter. If I buy something, it's because it's cool AND because I think I can get a good deal on it. Buying in bulk, finding good ebay auctions, that sort of thing. I rarely spend more than $20 on any single figure.

I actually ended up getting alot of inspiration on stuff to get from this guy:

Love his reviews.

Odinsson

Jun 11, 2011
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Prynhawn da Pawb,

We all have them... those things we look at from time to time, may even use... We know why they are there, although when we are asked, we usually shy away, or make up reasons in which we got them... when we think of them, we get a warm feeling, but we ultimately know we probably don't need them...

And those are impulse buys... But not just the impulse buy of a chocolate bar, or a magazine from a bloke in the street... no, these are the items we got because they were cool, they looked good, you just had to have it, but don't really have any real use or reason for you having it! It's that thing that you have to have... but takes up room, and sometimes gets in the way, but you couldn't do without it! And when it comes to it, you are just so damn proud of having it... be it because it's rare, or took effort to get, or because you don't know anyone else with one!

So the discussion is...
[HEADING=3]What items do you have that come under this category... and what is the story behind your purchase?[/HEADING]

My biggest guilty pleasure purchase, that I definitely didn't need, but is flipping awesome is this:

I made this purchase due to a sudden desperation for one after re-watching the epic classic: Inglourious Basterds [sub][sic][/sub] It now sits in my room in the mess... taking up room, getting in the way, and having to be constantly wheeled around for convenience.... but I love it! I couldn't get rid of it if I tried...

On top of that, I really love offereing people a drink, and then when they accept, being able to quote Mike Myers with, 'Attaboy, Lieutenant[sub](Or their actual rank.)[/sub]. Make it yourself like a good chap, will you? The bar's in the globe.'

Hours of endless pleasure from what is essentially a massive waste of money and space! :/

So Escapists... What are yours?

Tapadh leat! [sub][sub](Sorry... feeling particulary British today...! :p[/sub][/sub]
First thing I thought was the globe from the rehab clinic in Hitman: Blood Money.

On topic, I've bought swords that I don't really need, but they're not impulse buys, I plan them out meticulously

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Ah so many cool things!

Let me think... I paid more than reasonable money for a plushy companion cube and a foam Minecraft sword for room decor. They're the only sort of silly things.

I also didn't really need a £1300 desktop, but the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I also didn't need that 40" tv, but it was cheap, even though I'm going to have to buy new furniture for my room to make room for it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
There's only four things I ever spend money on.
Bills (electricity, internet, etc.), travel costs (gas), food (food), and entertainment (games, gaming stuffs, and computer hardware).
Entertainment is probably the only thing I don't actually need, but I'll sooner give up food than entertainment.