In 55 words or less, tell me a story.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
This is my creative writing assignment, but I like the idea and format. So, Escapists, can you create a story in 55 words or less that is also self sustianing?

Criteria:

1.Fifty-five words or less.
2.A setting,
3.One or more characters,
4.Some conflict, and
5.A resolution. (Not limited to moral of the story)
6.The title of the story is not part of the overall word count, but it still can?t exceed seven words.
Edit: 7. The work must be original, so please don't post anything that has already been published, or something that's from a movie/show/video game/etc.

Here is what I wrote today. My teacher didn't like it, so I'll have to write a new one.

From the Abyss

The girl looked through her goggles, ?I hate octopuses?they?re so creepy.?
?Octopi.? her brother corrected.
?Whatever, they?re disgusting creatures.?
?Please, they?re harmless! I mean, it?s not like they?re planning world domination.
The two laughed at the thought and swam away.
Meanwhile, one octopus looked at the other in terror.
?How do they know?!? he asked.

Jun 10, 2011
This is my magnificent octopus

Here we go:

"Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick and it lived happily ever after."

The End.

Solid Reece

Nov 19, 2010
[Esoteric Reference said:
]This is my magnificent octopus

Here we go:

"Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick and it lived happily ever after."

The End.
You forgot the conflict.

I then added a conflict for you.

"Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick who lost a penney. He found it shortly after and it lived happily ever after."

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
This doesn't fill your criteria but i had to put this here.
"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

sharks9

Mar 28, 2009
konor77 said:
Damn, was just about to post that!

What a genius story.

Spandexpanda

Mar 16, 2011

Here we go:

The End.
I think I love you.

OT: This is a very, very hard thing to do. Try something about a person being indifferent to Cocoa Pops or Cornflakes or something and the difficult breakfast decision they must make. That's gotta be exciting.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
konor77 said:
The shortest creepy story ever, eh?

OK, here's mine: Me and My Pal

Terry looked into the mirror. His reflection waved back. He blinked at this in surprise, and peered into the bin beside him.

"Well, the damn pills weren't working anyway," said the bin. Terry had to agree.

The End.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
Don't drop the rope.

Some sex-obsessed gay guy goes to prison for raping a guy that isn't gay and he thinks prison will be Heaven for him but nobody in the prison wants to have sex with him because they are all heterosexual. He then hangs himself. The end.

Jun 10, 2011
Spandexpanda said:

Here we go:

The End.
I think I love you.

OT: This is a very, very hard thing to do. Try something about a person being indifferent to Cocoa Pops or Cornflakes or something and the difficult breakfast decision they must make. That's gotta be exciting.
Blackadder fan?

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Dead Island.

I was on a sunny island with my brother.
Suddenly, there was many zombies running towards us!
Then my brother said "I am a zombie too!"
So I said "No brother!" and caved in his head with a rock.
Then other zombies caught me. Now I am a zombie too!

It'll burn your face off.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
]

The End.
It has no conflict, nor setting. But otherwise, very enjoyable.

Melon Hunter said:
Me and My Pal

Terry looked into the mirror. His reflection waved back. He blinked at this in surprise, and peered into the bin beside him.

"Well, the damn pills weren't working anyway," said the bin. Terry had to agree.

The End.
I really liked this one!

Blue Hero said:
Some sex-obsessed gay guy goes to prison for raping a guy that isn't gay and he thinks prison will be Heaven for him but nobody in the prison wants to have sex with him because they are all heterosexual. He then hangs himself. The end.
Only two sentences, wow.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
AlAaraaf74 said:
?Octopi.? her brother corrected.
Better tell that kid to run, I think LeeLee can sense whenever someone says that.
Umm... My story..
This is a true story.
One day, the sun rose, and A child woke up somewhere, tried to stand up and then fell down and went back to sleep. then a bear ate him. The end.

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
The shortest horror story ever written: "The last human on Earth sits in a room. There is a knock at the door."
Setting, check; character, check; conflict, check - man vs the world, represented by the unknown thing knocking on the door. Resolution... I would argue that the suspense of not having an ending or resolution is what makes this a horror story. Is it a zombie? Another survivor? The collected anger and spite of the souls of the rest of the 7 billion humans that died, while this one tool lived, made manifest and solid enough to knock?

Lemme try one that comes from my own heart and anxieties.
I'm a soldier in the artillery, currently deployed in Afghanistan. I haven't killed anyone in my life, but I dread the day we get a confirmed kill. If that day comes, I?ll just have to try to live as best as I can, pretending there?s no blood on my hands.
Setting, check; character, check; conflict, check; resolution... check, I suppose. It's a downer ending, I know, but it shows how human and vulnerable I am underneath all that Army bluster and body armor. Or something like that.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Poutine on the Ritz-

Once upon a time, there was a serial rapist named Claude. Claude was sentenced to three life sentences, but was released on good behavior. Everyone questioned what this "good behavior" really was, and only Claude knows the truth about his uncanny skill at cooking poutine.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
here's a classic one by a mister "Sniper"
"Once apon a time, I killed you, and I lived happily ever after. The End."

Silent Anima

Jun 2, 2011
Sure I have a story! It?s called "The Ugly Barnacle." Once there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly that everyone died. The end.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
See John met this ************ on a bridge. And that ************ said this. So John was like "Fuck you" and he shot the ************. As the ************ lied on the ground, bleeding out, he had seen his beginning. At his end.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
SilentJay22 said:
Sure I have a story! It?s called "The Ugly Barnacle." Once there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly that everyone died. The end.
...That didn't help at all!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010

Here we go:

The End.
Sausage!? SAUSAGE!? ARRRRGH DAMN YOUR EYES!

What was all that about?

I think you'll find that he left sausage out of his dictionary. Oh! And aardvark.