In ATLA...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Earth has Metal and Magma as advanced elements (and presumably Crystal), Fire has Explosion and Lightning, Water has Blood and Ice... what does Air have?

I know that the reason none have probably been introduced for air yet because until recently, airbending was exceptionally rare to begin with, but... yeah. I can't really even think of one for air to have.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Hmm...perhaps something to do with space? One wonders how air bending might work in a vacuum. Or perhaps air ending can create a vacuum, since you can suck the air out of a jar or whatever. Interesting question, though.

EDIT: Also, air isn't just one thing. It's lots of things: nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc. Getting a bit more into chemistry here, but perhaps airbenders can somehow separate, purify, or even change these gasses. Perhaps they can harvest helium or drain all the breathable air from a room. In theory they could also still someone's lungs and affect air pressure.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
One possibility is hot steam bending. Benders are able to change the tempature of their elements (turning water into ice and rock to magma), so it does logically follow that an Airbender could do the same.

Zaheer was able to kill the Earth Queen, in the most disturbing application of bending since blood bending, by sucking out the air around her head. Then he took out whatever air remained in her lungs so she would die of suffication, or of her lungs being collapsed.

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
How the hell does magma from earthbending work?

*Adds to list of "things-I-don't-like-from-legend-of-Korra"*

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Movitz said:

Magma is just molten rock. If water benders can freeze and liquify water at will why can't earth benders change the state of rock? It makes sense.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
One possibility is hot steam bending. Benders are able to change the tempature of their elements (turning water into ice and rock to magma), so it does logically follow that an Airbender could do the same.

Zaheer was able to kill the Earth Queen, in the most disturbing application of bending since blood bending, by sucking out the air around her head. Then he took out whatever air remained in her lungs so she would die of suffication, or of her lungs being collapsed.
Steambending is still waterbending. Katara uses it more than once, as do other waterbenders.

Airbenders can legit fly with the help of their gliders, which no other benders can even come close to (at best being able to amplify their jumps or hover briefly, and even then they usually have to be VERY talented).

In a way, airbending encompasses all the assets of each other element. They can redirect attacks like waterbenders, execute aggressive strikes like firebenders, and even sternly hold their ground like earthbenders. Obviously they aren't as good at those things as each individual element is because that would just be unfair, but they are sort of a jack-of-all-trades kind of bending with OBSCENE utility thrown in. In essence, they don't really need an advanced technique.

But if you're really itching for one, they seem to be able to do spirit-y things better than anyone else. Jinora says to Kai that her spirit abilities are "advanced airbending techniques" mixed her own special talent for spirituality. So maybe we'll see more of that.

Speaking of lightningbending though, has anyone noticed that Mako hasn't done any lightning in forever? I'm certain he hasn't done it at all this season and I don't he did any last season either unless I'm forgetting. It's just weird because he busted it out A LOT in season 1.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Movitz said:

Same way water benders can turn water into ice. Benders seem to be able to manipulate the tempatures of the materials they work with. Magma bending maybe a difficult to learn technique (most water benders don't seem able to shift from water to ice on a whim) or maybe, like blood bending, outright illegal.

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
Movitz said:

Magma is just molten rock. If water benders can freeze and liquify water at will why can't earth benders change the state of rock? It makes sense.
I guess. Still, would have been nice if they somehow explained in the show these things, instead of just throwing out characters with these new, mega powerful powers and then just expect us to accept it.

So magma stays on my list..

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I don't think magma counts as a special form, any more than ice or steam is a special form of water bending. It's the same principle, they're just changing the temperature of the element, right?
Movitz said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Movitz said:

I guess. Still, would have been nice if they somehow explained in the show these things, instead of just throwing out characters with these new, mega powerful powers and then just expect us to accept it.

So magma stays on my list..
But...They never explicitly explained ice or steam bending either....It's pretty much always been accepted that benders can alter the temperature of their element. They're obviously exerting energy on an element to move it, why wouldn't they be able to use that energy to heat/cool it? That's the explanation.

If something requires an explanation it's combustion-bending. And spirit-bending, they never really explained that. Or what's so special about platinum specifically.

Anyway, OT: I...really can't think of one, either. I guess you could say "vacuum bending", but removing an element isn't really special. Water-benders already use it all the time to breathe underwater with bubbles. Earth-benders dig tunnels with the same principle. So it's not really a "special" technique. Frankly, airbenders probably should've gotten lightning bending. Who knows, maybe airbenders and firebenders can both lighting-bend, the same way both earth and water benders can bend mud, or both water/air benders can create bubbles in water.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Well, they showed that they can suffocate / suck out the air from their victims.

I also figured Air can also have invisibility, Jojo-style.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I guess airbenders could always become 'mini Avatars'.

That is, if they're weird enough or good enough, they can manipulate just about any other element via air.

Move rocks?
Use air.

Move water?
Use air.

Move fire?
Use air.

Hell, depending on the SPEED of the air...they might even be able to create friction to cause rocks to superheat into magma or cool water down to ice or cause static electricity to make lesser lightening.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kolby Jack said:
Speaking of lightningbending though, has anyone noticed that Mako hasn't done any lightning in forever? I'm certain he hasn't done it at all this season and I don't he did any last season either unless I'm forgetting. It's just weird because he busted it out A LOT in season 1.
If I remember correctly, Mako isn't very good at lightning bending, so it takes him a while to 'charge up'. Not exactly useful in a fight.

Spiritual stuff is a good point though. I'd kind of forgotten about it.

Movitz said:

IIRC, it requires the user to compress the earth to an extreme degree. Normally only Avatars are capable of it, but Zaheer's lackie seems to have learned the trick to it. It's probably something similar to Metal or Blood bending. A technique that only a few benders of that element can learn, even if they know exactly what has to be done to accomplish it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I thought it was energy bending (used in the last episode from The Last Airbender) and no don't me the logic behind that!

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Air is the element of freedom so I dont belive it really has a subset it is the most varied of bending forms anyway

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Robot Number V said:
Or what's so special about platinum specifically.
they explained that. platinum is too refined. metal bending requires impurities in the metal.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Could just Air-bend to make your enemies huff your farts. That's what Aang would do.

Coincidentally it's also what I would do.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Kolby Jack said:
If I remember correctly, Mako isn't very good at lightning bending, so it takes him a while to 'charge up'. Not exactly useful in a fight.

Spiritual stuff is a good point though. I'd kind of forgotten about it.
I think season 1 established that he was almost TOO good with it. Using it while being barely able to move due to bloodbending, using it while standing in a moving car, using it for a 9-5 job at a power plant... He seemed to be pretty good at it. They may be trying to reverse the notion that he's so casually good with it compared to how hard it was to use in ATLA, which is why he hasn't used it lately, but I don't think him not using it AT ALL is the right choice. I could think of plenty of situations he's been in where it would have made a difference.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Kolby Jack said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Steambending is still waterbending. Katara uses it more than once, as do other waterbenders.
Oh, forgot that.

>_>

That's actually a good point. Particularly since shocking your enemies till their immobilized would be far less deadly than, you know, THROWING FIRE AT THEIR FACE.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I kind of get the impression that airbending doesn't really need to be any more powerful than it already is. It definitely seems to be the least lethal of the elements (barring Avatar State-level feats), but the sheer amount of versatility and mobility it grants is kind of ridiculous.

Asides from that, it's the only type of bending that doesn't wholly rely on the environment. Water and earthbenders need their elements to be present, and firebenders rely on their own internal body heat, if I remember correctly. I mean, I suppose you could put an airbender in a vacuum, but the only time we have seen anything of sort being done has been by another airbender - and it was a small one, at that.

...but that's kinda getting off topic. I dunno. Air doesn't really have any obvious things it could expand into.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Wasn't there a fantheory around soundbending? Creating vibrations in the air and all the stuff that comes with it. It could be either very devastating or very ineffectual, depending on the scale and the way it's applied.