In defence of specific definitions: TotalBiscuit

Melaphont

Sep 8, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-3GJsr8Xw

Talks about why definitions matter, and the importance of these definitions in the game industry. Pretty good listen. I think this idea can be applied to most anything honestly, I think people are starting to create their own definitions of words and it is getting problematic.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Why do we keep getting "in defence of" threads exactly?, TB doesn't ened defending, he was just pointing a few things in the video he thinks were right or wrong, that doesn't need any sort of defence.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's a noble goal for sure, and ideally we would have very specific definitions for everything, which would make things very easy to talk about. But sadly humans aren't computers and they will always interpret shit in the way it suits them best, this stuff will go particularly wild once emotions are involved.

You want people to admit they aren't gamers, or their creation isn't actually a game... best of luck with that.

Aineko

Sep 16, 2014
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Why do we keep getting "in defence of" threads exactly?, TB doesn't ened defending, he was just pointing a few things in the video he thinks were right or wrong, that doesn't need any sort of defence.
It's the name of the video though...

A pretty good video too. I agree with both its spirit and the particular definitions he gives. I'm not sure I agree that "walking simulator" can ever be anything other than pejorative though. If you are going to defend the usage of the tag merely based on its factual accuracy, you would have to apply it as well to any game that involves the player walking anywhere which would render it pointless.

Melaphont

Sep 8, 2014
Shadow-Phoenix said:
>.> Umm, that is the name of his video, in the link I provided, along with a description of what he talks about. Maybe watch it 1st or just click on the link?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Melaphont said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
>.> Umm, that is the name of his video, in the link I provided, along with a description of what he talks about. Maybe watch it 1st or just click on the link?
Umn I watched it an hour ago, I've seen "in defence" topics in the past where the videos weren't labeled "in defence".

Also does my question warrant a third reply?, did you read the other two to know that question had already been answered?, just a thought.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I agree that there are some terms that do benefit from specific definition, I think the issue with it is that there is often inherent overwhelming bias in trying to define something in the present moment. Definitions are, I feel, best arrived at through actual time and experience. Just look at the whole argument about what the term "gamer" means (even though, in this case, I feel the term already does have a tried and tested definition). If asked right now, a third of the people who define the word "gamer" would be giving it a negative connotation. Another third would give it a positive connotation. The final third would say "but everyone who plays games is a gamer so no further definition is needed." Who gets to decide what definition we have to use?