In Defense of "Killer is Dead". ..

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
If you ask me, this game is one of the rare occurrences where a high budget game transcends being a mere product and almost becomes a piece of art.

And once we reach that level, obviously it's not immune to criticism, but at that point it's not a democratic process any more, and how many people "like" it becomes meaningless. Moral outrage just becomes part of process, and to me, that's all that it is. Is it a kinda mediocre game? Yeah. Should people be outraged about the Gigolo Mode. I don't think so.

For me, that's exactly the same as people who want to go and cover up the naughty bits on antique statues.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Magenera said:
The purpose of the Gigglo mode is funny enough the reason why Mondo is an executioner. He want to be intimate, and he live a high lifestyle so the his current job fits the bill because he's good at it. Once again I present to you the theme of Killer is Dead.
http://globegander.tumblr.com/post/59534088268/love-killer-is-dead-eros-and-thanatos-in-grasshopper
So, he is an emotionally stunted sociopath who desires sex but sucks at any human contact and so needs to get a lot of money to buy sex?
I don't think it does great job at portraying that theme, though. (Also the women give him upgrades, so they are, from a gameplay-perspective, a way for the player to get better at killing.)

And everyone acts like they're aliens, so how are you supposed to tell Mondo's behaviour is supposed to have any point?

Magenera said:
Also since when did art had anything to do with illuminating society problems?
It was briankoontz who claimed that's what Sueda 51's work does.

personally I think people are over-analysing it to see stuff that either isn't there or is presented in an overly obstructive way. Not that I don't like that kind of stuff every now and then, but I think the Gigolo-mode especially feels pointless and dumb.

But if we indeed are supposed to take away from this that Mondo is pathetic loser, yeah, I got that. What's the point?

Adam Lester

Jan 8, 2013
Roofstone said:
I like to imagine him waking up one Monday morning, look at his schedule and go "Eugh... Sex day again. Damn Mondays."

OT: I.. I actually like the gigolo mode. It is fun, and entertaining.. Not because I necessarily like it, but because of what I stated above, and the quote.

That and it is Suda 51, so the fucked up women is something I just glaze over really. It is just there, it is always there, it is a Suda 51 game.
I'm not a fan of it, not because it's OFFENSIVE TO THE WYMYNS but because I just find it boring. I mean, I might find it offensive if when the clock was ticking down the last minute of opportunity L1 started blinking on screen with an option called "Quick, ask her what this rag smells like".

Even though to the game's credit, it's not even half as painful as going through the job mini games in No More Heroes. They need to release a version of that game that doesn't require you to play "Burger Time" sixty times in a row to get to the next goddamn mission.

Torque2100

Nov 20, 2008
I love how this whole "SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS LOL" argument is being used by Suda51 fans to shield the game from other, more objective criticism. Like how the Courtship minigame is incredibly poorly handled, or how the game is just in general a broken, buggy mess. Yet Suda51 fans want to pace him above criticism.

Adam Lester

Jan 8, 2013
Well, I love the way social justice warriors with their never ending quest to be perpetually offended at anything and everything that doesn't come from them personally causes everyone else to handle topics regarding racism, sexism and civil rights with a lot of eye rolling or wondering if there's any credibility regarding the argument, because we've officially run into a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" situation when it comes to these things in this country.

But you're right, the courtship minigame is garbo. I won't even bother trying to defend how absolutely time wasting and awkward it is. I kind of wish that Suda would release "director's cuts" of his games that removed the whole goddamn minigame thing, No More Heroes and Killer is Dead in particular.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
Sseth said:
chikusho said:
If a feature is designed to be off-putting, and it succeeds in being off-putting, it is not a failed feature.
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If a game is designed to be off putting, then the design is shit and the game is shit, even if it is "not a failed feature". A bad feature working as intended is not a good thing.
I like how you casually conclude that it is a "bad feature" despite presenting absolutely no basis whatsoever for that conclusion other than "because I said so". Lots of art exists merely to be off-putting.

Adam Lester

Jan 8, 2013
DjinnFor said:
I like how you casually conclude that it is a "bad feature" despite presenting absolutely no basis whatsoever for that conclusion other than "because I said so". Lots of art exists merely to be off-putting.
HR Giger and Zdzislaw Beksinski come to mind. And films by Andy Warhol, David Lynch and John Waters.

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
Why, why so much histeria? First with Tomb Raider '13 (Are you seriously think that if bandits who spend their lifes in sea with nothing than other men catch woman, they won't try to have... ?), now with Killer is Dead (Gigolo? And so? First, it has a link with some species of entertainment in Japan which has it's own culture. Second, this is crazy funny trash game, why take it serious?), and finally with Hotline Miami and all those "feministic gamers".

Wut da hell?

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
InfernalGrape said:
Why, why so much histeria? First with Tomb Raider '13 (Are you seriously think that if bandits who spend their lifes in sea with nothing than other men catch woman, they won't try to have... ?), now with Killer is Dead (Gigolo? And so? First, it has a link with some species of entertainment in Japan which has it's own culture. Second, this is crazy funny trash game, why take it serious?), and finally with Hotline Miami and all those "feministic gamers".

Wut da hell?
Well, you can never have too much Hysteria. It was, after all, Def Leppard's finest album.

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
In defense of OLD Grasshopper games, i'd like to say that, aesthetically, probably Flower Sun and Rain the best thing they ever had done. FSR's plot is at least as good as Killer7's and it doesn't have even violence (except 1 gunshot and several explosions), nor sexual themes.

Sure, gameplay is boring because it's full of backtracking. And in Nintendo DS version graphics are horrible.

But it's genious work still. Maybe Deadly Premonition is close to it though, a bit.

While Killer is Dead is some cheap "hey we are so punks we are so weird wow wow i'm so art house".

killer7 was really an david lynch' level thing. it made sense.

killer is dead is just pretending to be "artful".

that's the difference.