In-Game Hoarding Addiction

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
In most games I'm very conservative with good weapons, saving my best for "when I really need it", but I almost never "really need it" - but this is a hold-over from the games of my youth: in modern games you're never short of ammo or powerful weapons, yet I still play this way.

In Oblivion I was a hoarder, particularly of unique items even if they were useless/only slightly different to others. I owned all the properties I could (inc. DLC) and they were absolutely filled with crap. My rational was: well something might happen to my PC and he might have to limp back to one of his supply houses to retool. Insane as this can't happen in game.* I expect it will start again with Skyrim: oddly enough I was nowhere near as bad in the Fallout games - but probably still pretty crazy compared to how most gamers play.

* I would've liked it if you had to randomly defend your home/castle/tower/dungeon from the occasional thief/murderer/bandits/raiders.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I'm guilty of this. My house in Skingrad on Oblivion is decorated with every single unique item imaginable to an almost meticulous degree and my chest in the Imperial City is so full of items that it causes the game to crash when i try to open it.

I can't bear to throw a single unique item away, regardless of the game. I always have one of everything. The prime examples of this being Oblivion and the Fallout games, but Fallout is worse as the repair mechanic encourages hoarding. I'm always taking one or two extra guns of the same type (more if they're hard to come by) in case i "might need to repair the one i'm using", and even then i could be staring down the face of a Deathclaw and still wouldn't use the super powerful unique weapon because i'd be convinced that "i might need it later and i won't be able to find ammo for it / repair it". I also take one of everything in Fallout; armour, weapons, even miscellaneous stuff. I even go out of my way to do quests that provide unique items for the sole purpose of collecting it and stashing it in my hideout (or inventory if it's weightless).

I refuse to use any sort of healing items or consumables on jRPG / western RPG games because i have this perpetual fear of "running out". It also feels extremely wasteful. If i have say 5 full restore potions worth 10,000 gold, i'm never going to use them because to me it's a waste to simply blow away all that cash on something that's a temporary effect. I'll instead hold onto them and i could be on my last legs in critical health and i STILL wouldn't use them. The only game to force me to use my full restores is Persona 3, and that's because the final boss literally takes 45 minutes, so if you die halfway through you've got a long slog ahead of you again.

I also hoard in WoW. My bank is full of equipment and items that are virtually useless given my level, but that i think are either iconic or simply look good. For example, i always do the quest in Westfall that gives you the Kobold Candle, and i always make a point of stashing it in my bank. Because hey, you finally took it. It's a statement. It's iconic. You've just gotta have it. (Though regarding good looking gear and other novelty items and unique junk filling up my bank, i am a roleplayer and do play on an RP server so most of it is there for roleplay purposes, with the exception of unique items like the aforementioned Kobold Candle)

ultimateownage said:
I always do that. I can't bring myself to use the stuff I have, so I'll never use it. On Dead Island I keep using my weakest weapons until they break to use them up because I wan't to save my bigger ones for later. Of course, when I get to later the better ones are now the obsolete ones and the cycle repeats.
I did this too on Dead Island. Initially i'd just use weak junk weapons like a boat paddle and save the rare knife with good stats, never use it, then be so high a level that it's essentially useless and i'm forced to throw it away for another rare knife that i'll also never use because i'll be waiting for "that one moment where i'll need it."

I tried to remedy this by trying out the duplication glitch, to see how it would affect my constant obsession with hoarding good gear by cloning the best gear i could find. It didn't change anything. I would clone say 8 really good baseball bats, then have one that i would "use", and when it started to get worn down i wouldn't just wait until it broke and move on to the next one. I would find somewhere safe to discard it, then clone one of the other many baseball bats, pick that up and use it. So imagine i have 8 really good cloned baseball bats. I use 1 until it's nearly broken, so i have 7 left. I don't use one from the other 7, i instead clone one of the 7 to make 8 again and use cloned weapon. I still hoarded, i just made sure to always keep as many cloned powerful weapons as possible instead of using them and cloning when i ran out.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I might have considered myself a hoarder until you explained the meaning more clearly. In games like World of Warcraft I have a lot of useless items that I can't bring myself to part with simply because they were silly gifts or items that have sentimental value in the means by which they were acquired. My bank was always full of old sets of gear that (well, unless it was something amazing looking or reminded me of good raiding days), that I generally never used. I did however delete a lot of that over time.

I suppose I don't really fit your definition of hoarding then, in Fallout 3 I do recall picking up some useless items with the intention of putting them in my character's home, but I generally tended to drop them to make room for more important items.

I can't say I know anyone who collects completely useless items for no reason. "Well I'm just cleaning up the game world, it's so cluttered/messy with all this junk lying around" I honestly can't imagine why anyone would do that. I mean... there's immersion, but that's a whole new level of... pointlessness?

Seriphina

Apr 24, 2010
In WoW I do the stupid grinds, I did the original "insane and the membrane" and have 51 exhalted reps or something... Im not sure why! I just like achieves. Not quite hoarding but there you go. <3

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I always hoard during my first playthrough of a game. I always feel that I will need stuff, even junk, later in the game.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I horde ridiculous amounts of shit, mainly because i end up selling it off, hell, i'll end up wasting supplies to fit more shit in my inventory, just so i can sell it off.
At the moment i'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and i'm actually hording praxis points.
That and copious amounts of ammo.

Karilas

Jan 6, 2010
Hoarded like a mofo on Oblivion and Fallout 3. Made more than enough money from Caravan in New Vegas that I actually stopped looting, well, I'd still take weapons and armour, but I was all about the jury rigging.

One game that brings out the hoarder in me is Red Dead Redemption. I CANNOT kill an animal without taking its pelt. I can spend hours doing it, too, because while I'm skinning a damn coyote a pack of wolves always has to show up.

Max Payne. Quick saves turned Max Payne and Max Payne 2 into some sort of trial and improvement logistical nightmare, as I flat out refused to start the next section without full health, full ammo, full painkillers and full damn bullet-time if possible. Still got through the first one in 9 hours even with that approach, mind.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I play Pokemon. I have a box full of Unown. 'nuff said.

I like to maintain a collection of weapons in games that allow it, even ones I don't intend to use, so long as they're badass and/or pretty.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
lolreaper said:
yes i have
in fallout new vegas i have just over 500 pre war money piled ontop of my bed in the presidental suite in the lucky 38
MAKIN' IT RAIN BITCHES

OT: Teddy bears in Fallout 3/NV, copies of The Lusty Argonian Maid in Elder scrolls games.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
I am definitely an in game hoarder, I save every square of dirt i dig in minecraft and i never sell a gun in fallout unless i have more in storage. I don't know why i do it, i just feel i should keep it in case it comes in handy later.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
I think my worst case in recent memory was when playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution. By the end of the game I was literally swimming in hacking Nukes and Stop software. I didn't use a single Nuke throughout the game untill I got to the last boss. So in a way, I kinda justified saving them :D I just needn't have saved 50 or so... heh heh

The Cap

Aug 14, 2011
two things i grab in Fallout NV

Vodka, for my vodka fridge in my novac hotel room

and less usefully, oven pilot lights. 'YAAY 14 caps in this oven'

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
my inventory tends to fill up with useless junk just because i overuse the 'loot all' button and don't ever bother to sort through it beyond checking for better weapons/armor. I don't consciously set out to collect junk, but it happens and in games with infinite inventory space it's not worth the trouble of going through and getting rid of.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
I hoard Ionic Charges in Infamous 2. You never know when you'll have to take out a few icy bastards with a tornado :)

Airhead

May 8, 2008
In Terraria, I have over 1000 blocks of dirt stored in a chest. I'd like to think they're useful though. For, you know... landscaping and stuff...

In Oblivion, I used to collect specific useless items just for giggles. And by 'specific useless items' I mean every human skull and bone I could ever find. So I guess that is less 'hoarder' and more 'potentially dangerous psychopath' territory.

Suicida1 Midget

Jun 11, 2011
Yes i hoard crap. I like playing fallout 3 to see my 71 perfect condition assualt rifles. I like to open my clothing locker to see my 50 sets of hellfire power armor or the 66 of tesala. In borderlands my underdome armorery has unlimited slots. (yes i modded it) and has a huge varity of weapons i fount to be fun, epic, or unique. Then the wrost comes from minecraft, before the 8.1 patch, i would build huge underground storage areas just for my dirt, stone, metals, ect. The thing is i just need MOOOOOOOORE its not enough that i can take the whole brotherhood of steel, enclave, talon, cant remember the name of the law bringer perk guys, super mutatns, trogs, raiders, and deathclaws with one hand. Ya know.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
In Minecraft, back in my old world, I had, oh, 20 or 30 double-chests completely filled with dirt from mining, along with a similar amount in cobblestone, half as much in wood, and probably 5 or so chests filled just with coal. I collect absolutely everything in games that allow me to, and I will usually store it somewhere when given the option. Eventually I'll sort the useless from the useful, but in games where there COULD be a use in the future (Minecraft, etc), I'll store it forever. Really.