In retrospect, the PlayStation Move was an amazing device

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The problem with motion controls (in my opinion, from my experience) is that they end up further distancing you from the game you're playing. Short from mind control nothing's ever gonna be as comfy, direct and seamless as pushing a button in order to issue a command with 1:1 responsiveness. I just don't feel very much in command when using motion controls, and I think because of that the design is boiled down to something incredibly rudimentary that doesn't require too much timing or precision in order to be effective. At the end of the day I see it as just another gimmick. Fun for a while, but when I'm done I feel like playing "properly".
Not really. Sure, Meaningless waggle is a gimmick that's thankfully dead, but true motion control is actually better than a button or stick, since it gives you more dynamic control over in game actions. Anybody who's played Red Steel 2 or any VR game can tell you that. In the case of Shooters, Gyro or pointer aim is simply straight up better than standard control sticks because you can more precisely fine tune your aim.
Motion controls may be dynamic by definition, but I don't think they're a good answer to regular controller/keyboard + mouse controls. I already said it: in gaming nothing short of mind control would require less effort than pressing a button. It's simple, it's immediate and you're not gonna convince there's anything more efficient that can test your hand-eye coordination. You're not gonna get a better effort:result ratio, especially against an alternative that hinges so much on physical exertion. I got my gall bladder removed recently and kept on gaming just fine. No way in hell I could've managed if I had to rely on motion controls.
If stick controls are better than motion controls, explain why all of the professional competitive Splatoon players play with Gyro motion sensors turned on rather than just leaving them turned off...
Hate to break it to you Yoshi, but that's the exception not the rule
Explain why Bethesda only added Gyro controls to DOOM on the Switch after people demanded they be added then?

I could go on LMAO

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The problem with motion controls (in my opinion, from my experience) is that they end up further distancing you from the game you're playing. Short from mind control nothing's ever gonna be as comfy, direct and seamless as pushing a button in order to issue a command with 1:1 responsiveness. I just don't feel very much in command when using motion controls, and I think because of that the design is boiled down to something incredibly rudimentary that doesn't require too much timing or precision in order to be effective. At the end of the day I see it as just another gimmick. Fun for a while, but when I'm done I feel like playing "properly".
Not really. Sure, Meaningless waggle is a gimmick that's thankfully dead, but true motion control is actually better than a button or stick, since it gives you more dynamic control over in game actions. Anybody who's played Red Steel 2 or any VR game can tell you that. In the case of Shooters, Gyro or pointer aim is simply straight up better than standard control sticks because you can more precisely fine tune your aim.
Motion controls may be dynamic by definition, but I don't think they're a good answer to regular controller/keyboard + mouse controls. I already said it: in gaming nothing short of mind control would require less effort than pressing a button. It's simple, it's immediate and you're not gonna convince there's anything more efficient that can test your hand-eye coordination. You're not gonna get a better effort:result ratio, especially against an alternative that hinges so much on physical exertion. I got my gall bladder removed recently and kept on gaming just fine. No way in hell I could've managed if I had to rely on motion controls.
If stick controls are better than motion controls, explain why all of the professional competitive Splatoon players play with Gyro motion sensors turned on rather than just leaving them turned off...
Explain why Bethesda only added Gyro controls to DOOM on the Switch after people demanded they be added then?

I could go on LMAO
90% of everything is crap. Doom and the few others are part of that 10%.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

I could go on LMAO
whether the games are good games or not doesn't really have any relevance to whether one control style is better than another but ok.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

...competitive splatoon...

Is splatoon even a precision game? It didn't feel like you actually needed to aim very carefully when I played it. I was rather unimpressed with the shooting, but the traversal was very fun.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Dirty Hipsters said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

...competitive splatoon...

Is splatoon even a precision game? It didn't feel like you actually needed to aim very carefully when I played it. I was rather unimpressed with the shooting, but the traversal was very fun.
The Basic game is about covering the field in more Ink than the other team does

The competive Splatoon teams play the 4 different ranked game mode types but this is getting abit off topic now

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

I could go on LMAO
whether the games are good games or not doesn't really have any relevance to whether one control style is better than another but ok.
I was referring to the motion/gyro controls in this case. That is relevant.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

I could go on LMAO
don't think i'm understanding your previous post then if you weren't referring to the games overall quality

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

I could go on LMAO
don't think i'm understanding your previous post then if you weren't referring to the games overall quality
I was not clear. In terms of motion controls and the quality of the games themselves, Sturgeon's law applies. I am not saying the games on the list are bad, but part of that 10%, and leads in to what I said about the exception, not the rule. At the end of the day, most people want to sit on their ass, you use a standars controller. Maybe not every single time, but most of the time, a regular controller.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
CoCage said:
I was not clear. In terms of motion controls and the quality of the games themselves, Sturgeon's law applies. I am not saying the games on the list are bad, but part of that 10%, and leads in to what I said about the exception, not the rule. At the end of the day, most people want to sit on their ass, you use a standars controller. Maybe not every single time, but most of the time, a regular controller.
Sure, not everyone wants to flail their arms all the time. But that's not what gyro aim is. Motion aiming only requires subtle wrist movements, and you can be completely relaxed while you do it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
TheMisterManGuy said:
CoCage said:
Sure, not everyone wants to flail their arms all the time. But that's not what gyro aim is. Motion aiming only requires subtle wrist movements, and you can be completely relaxed while you do it.
I never said motion controls were all about flailing your arms nor implied it. But even with the simple, relaxed gestures, most people don't want or are too lazy to even do that. Look, as long as the gyros controls are optional and not forced upon, they'll last longer than the wiimote.

Feb 7, 2016
I actually played the entirety of Killzone 3 with the move and had a decent time.

I mean, I still had a way better time using a standard controller, but I can't say I was dreading the idea of using the Move like I do the Wii. I've always had less issues with the Move, but to be fair I didn't use it as long either. Back then, the PS3 was in the living room and it was hard to find the time to use it without hogging the TV from everyone else.

But there's a pretty good reason they can still be used with the PSVR. They were completely functional motion control devices, and very accurate.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I still use mine with PSVR, but only for Creed and the occasional shooter. I was never into Move when it was put out there to compete with Nintendo but its inclusion with VR makes a bit more sense and adds another level of interactivity with the virtual environments. I'm sure custom controllers like the ones for Oculus may work better but for a budget VR rig not comprised of cardboard, the Move controllers work great.