In terms of custom maps, how does Starcraft 2 compare to Warcraft 3?

aattss

May 13, 2012
Hello. As you see, I'm planning on getting Starcraft 2 for christmas, but I have heard some bad things about it. As you see, I am a player who sticks solely to custom maps with different gameplay and whatnot. Can people please let me know whether or not it more fun, or even as fun, to play custom maps on Starcraft 2 as Warcraft 3, or should I stick to Warcraft 3?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Well, I know that there aren't any rpg-ish maps in SC2, like one of my favorites; The Black Road. Tower Defense is still a big thing for SC2 though... Otherwise I can't help you much as I've not looked into the SC2 custom map scene much.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Considering the wealth of things the community has created with the new Galaxy Editor, Starcraft 2 is a great choice. I can't compare it to Warcraft 3, not really familiar with it, but I can tell you that the editor in Starcraft 2 has a lot of potential.

bowandsword

Mar 30, 2011
Not very well, only the top 20 most popular games you can seem to find a pug game for other wise you have to bring your own friends.
i also find less complicated ones like the huge RPGs
alot less custom maps less genres less polish.
in general could have been some much better then it was
just ranting below the line about how it could have been better
pathing and game engine crashing was a problem but it sc2 most of thoses problems could have been solve with the better pathing better ui better engine and the ability to select almost limitless units and see said units with out lag or performance issues

ot could have been so good but if u want tower defense then that is their and tug of war games not much else though
if u want sc2 for custom maps just pass it out.
the melee/campaign is great just the game's custom maps died going from wc3 to sc2

aattss

May 13, 2012
sanquin said:
Well, I know that there aren't any rpg-ish maps in SC2, like one of my favorites; The Black Road. Tower Defense is still a big thing for SC2 though... Otherwise I can't help you much as I've not looked into the SC2 custom map scene much.
Thanks. Personally, I'm the most interested in maps like LOAP and Titan's Land.

By the way, are there still plenty of people playing custom maps in Warcraft 3?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
There is an RPG system pre made in the editor. It is not on by default.
Here is a Starcraft Third Person Shooter. Ignore awful music. The TPS mode starts around a minute in
<youtube=suiHfnQ357Y>
<youtube=xcC8brsFnRw>

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
SC2 has problems with its custom map system in that no one plays any of the maps except the top 20 or so, they have fixed it a bit and have expressed intent to make it better, as for the games themselves I mostly just play monobattles, a moba game, and Mafia which is really really fun

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Pretty bad. Battlenet 2.0 is awful enough, but the custom map system is by far the worst bit. It might become better in HotS, but for now nobody plays anything but the top 10 or so maps. The editor is good but nobody will play it, since the interface is terrible for making new games popular. Nobody will see them,

The custom maps that are on the front page are all pretty fun, though.

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
The big issue with SCII compared to WCIII is that you can't just download a map and play it. It has to be hosted on their servers. And those ervers arent the easiest to browse, kinda forcing you to just play whatever is popular at the time.

Also certain maps arent hosted on all localizations of the game, so if you have a European account and the person who made the map is American, you may not get to play it.

At least thats what it was like the last time I played (which was a while ago, to be fair)