In the interest of getting Portal 2 released ASAP

lemiel14n3

happiness is a warm gun
Mar 18, 2010
The white bar IS an average, but when a bar goes blue, the white bar jumps forward by a lot, hence the dichotomy.

I believe that once a bar goes blue, it's time no longer counts.

So far we have completed:

Cogs
Rush
Toki Tori
1...2...3... Kick it
The Wonderful End of the World
AAAAAA!
And Bit.Trip Beat should finish in a few hours

-----

I can see one of two things happening, it WILL be available on Steam by Monday evening at the latest, provided things continue apace and nothing especially different happens.

OR, valve has something special in reserve, that will kick in if some specific conditions are met, or a certain amount of time has passed. (but if it doesn't happen by midnight, I'm not going to hold out too much hope)

lemiel14n3

happiness is a warm gun
Mar 18, 2010
That would be nice, but I get the feeling that by the time the potato counter reached 500,000, the game will be out already

Dr. Win

Jan 2, 2011
Been hearing speculation about the whole countdown, people saying with all the craziness (the glyphs, emails and various steam things being 'hacked' by GLaDOS and whatnot) that this whole thing might also be a reveal for something bigger, like Ep 3 or a new IP.

IMO it seems it's an awful lot of work from valve, and it seems kinda a silly that they would do it just to push the release date forward by 1 day, so I kinda find it suspicious.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
lemiel14n3 said:
Utilize this site: http://www.hasportal2launchedyet.com/

It has an up-to-the-minute tracker on progress for each bar (including percent complete, fill speed, and more). Additionally, it marks the current "target" game for everyone to focus on.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Already put up a thread about this, and more threads are only going to make people more annoyed, as shown by the steam forums as of late.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Xzi said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Already put up a thread about this, and more threads are only going to make people more annoyed, as shown by the steam forums as of late.
One thread on the first page is going to annoy people? Not hard to ignore.
I'm just giving him a warning, things can devolve pretty quickly with things like this.

lemiel14n3

happiness is a warm gun
Mar 18, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
I can appreciate that. in all honesty, tomorrow will be the last day I actively try and keep this thread alive, then it will slowly die as people stop playing Valves little game and go on to play Valves much bigger game.
Scout Tactical said:
lemiel14n3 said:
Utilize this site: http://www.hasportal2launchedyet.com/

It has an up-to-the-minute tracker on progress for each bar (including percent complete, fill speed, and more). Additionally, it marks the current "target" game for everyone to focus on.
The wiki I mentioned in the OP [http://valvearg.com/wiki/Valve_ARG_Wiki] has a link to that and similar sites, as well as the same game focus schedule.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
So if once a bar has been completed the 'cycles' for that game no longer count... why would you ever concentrate your efforts on one game at a time? The first game was aced with like 80+ hours to spare in the countdown... all that time the people who play that game anyways would have moved that bar along on their own. People didn't need to coordinate to get games finished at the start, they should have tried to balance out the bars and then let the people they can't coordinate carry some weight.

As it stands there's been hours of wasted cycles. And as anyone can tell you, hours of wasted cycles is a no no!

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
tghm1801 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I found all of that extremely confusing... (feels old and stupid)
I find the whole thing pointless.
Paying $40 to make Portal 2 release a couple of hours earlier?
That would make your total spending on Portal 2 $100.
Nice.
You do realize that $40 nets you bunch of great indie games? So no your total spending on Portal 2 is still only $60.

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
CobraX said:
You do realize that $40 nets you bunch of great indie games? So no your total spending on Portal 2 is still only $60.
You mean only $45. Portal 2 costs $45 on Steam right now ($40 if you have the Potato Bundle) and Steam is the only platform that can be affected by the early release anyway.

Nightcraft66

Mar 22, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks that Valve won't release the game any earlier? I mean come on, I've got half the indie games anyway, and it's only a couple of days away...
Pretty cheap move I must say though "Buy these games and we'll bring this game out earlier" Seriously Valve?

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Xzi said:
Taerdin said:
So if once a bar has been completed the 'cycles' for that game no longer count... why would you ever concentrate your efforts on one game at a time? The first game was aced with like 80+ hours to spare in the countdown... all that time the people who play that game anyways would have moved that bar along on their own. People didn't need to coordinate to get games finished at the start, they should have tried to balance out the bars and then let the people they can't coordinate carry some weight.

As it stands there's been hours of wasted cycles. And as anyone can tell you, hours of wasted cycles is a no no!
It's being coordinated because certain games take less people playing to complete them. It's dependent on how many people own the game vs how many are playing at current. The Wonderful End of the World was easy to complete first with only about 3k people playing because it hasn't been bought by a lot of people. Whereas there have been times where over 7k people were on Killing Floor and it barely moved the bar.

HOWEVER, the more potatoes that have been collected, the faster all the bars move. Thus the reason for saving the games which most everybody owns for last...their progress will be accelerated by the potatoes people collected in the easier to complete games. Get it? Got it? Good.
It doesn't take a genious to see that the number of potatoes is having little to no affect...

But I can see how people got that impression and made the poor decision to focus on game at a time.

Actually, whether the potatos help or not you're still losing cycles on the games that were focused on... it still seems like a poor strategy.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
lemiel14n3 said:
If you don't have the time, or want to sleep, then cheat the system! bring up a popular game like Amnesia or Super Meat Boy, or any game you have that hasn't reached 100% and just leave it running for as long as you're willing.

-----

Please reply in the interest of keeping this thread alive, at least as long as Monday.
I could see if there was a charity involved or something like that but I don't think many people are interested in jacking up their electric bill just to get portal2 a day early.
You should become a Neilsen family.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Ermm... does anyone know why the number of potatoes is decreasing?

Edit: just noticed that the Textual Output says``Engaging starch-based power cells''.