India Developing Weaponized Chili Peppers

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Sounds like a pretty good Non-Lethal weapon to me.
Lon-Lethal...and will teach you not to try again for a second time.

Good choice

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I suddenly see a lot of black-market opportunity for capsaicin-receptor-inhibiting drugs. You're one shot away from being immune to pepper spray!

...Writing that down.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
In my mind I'm seeing a soldier pinned down clutch the stalk in his teeth, yanking it out and hurling the pepper over his cover...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
LTK_70 said:
I suddenly see a lot of black-market opportunity for capsaicin-receptor-inhibiting drugs. You're one shot away from being immune to pepper spray!

...Writing that down.
It means you can't detect it not that you are invulnerable to it. It would still sting the fuck out of your eyes and make you choke.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
AC10 said:
SharedProphet said:
AC10 said:
Finally, a weapon even vegeterians can approve of!
I don't know of any weapons made of meat...?
Behold, the Bak-47
Wow I'm extremely impressed, especially since the guy's efforts are probably gonna be in vain when it starts to smell, and he needs to destroy all his efforts, and he's left with a very greasy rifle which would be no fun to clean.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Greg Tito said:
"..would force a terrorist to come out of his hideout,"

"The effect is so pungent that it would literally choke them."

"It will immobilise them but not kill them," he said.
Am I seeing a problem here or is this in my head?

-Drifter- said:
Dexiro said:
Sounds a bit inhumane. Like mustard gas only it doesn't kill you.
Methinks you have a very loose understanding of how mustard gas works.
Well then would you care to elaborate and educate, rather than just flat-out calling him ignorant?

Xrysthos

Apr 13, 2009
LTK_70 said:

...Writing that down.
Fun fact: A friend in medical school claimed that THC is a capsaicin-inhibitor, though I wouldn't know if that is actually the case. If it is true though, it would present the terrorists with somewhat of a dilemma. Either way they'd get smoked out of their caves.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
-Drifter- said:
Dexiro said:
Sounds a bit inhumane. Like mustard gas only it doesn't kill you.
Methinks you have a very loose understanding of how mustard gas works.
You're right i have absolutely no idea what it is xD

I'm gonna edit that post, didn't expect everyone to quote me on it :c

blackshark121

Jan 4, 2009
Pandalisk said:
Kalezian said:
Pandalisk said:
The food wars begin!

mark my words this will be like the cold war, but instead of the rush to develop Tactical Nukes, it'll be the rush to develop a potent Soy sauce.

We need something to combat this Pepper!, What news on the Coca-Cola Mentos bomb?

not so good:

now, maybe we could mix in the powder from this pepper into the coke...
This is unexceptable!, we've dumped Millions into this research and we've only reached amusing prank level of lethality?

Perhaps, best start working on it, we'll need to secure this volatile substance though, ill send the marines to secure the grocery section of a Tescos,you'll have your peppers "Mr.Scientist".

what of bannana peels?
Maybe a bit better than coke. 45 seconds.

now, maybe we can put powder from this pepper onto the bananas...

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
manythings said:
LTK_70 said:

...Writing that down.
It means you can't detect it not that you are invulnerable to it. It would still sting the fuck out of your eyes and make you choke.
No really, if the receptors that detect the substance are inactivated, your body isn't aware of it and doesn't produce the reaction that causes you to choke and throw up.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
LTK_70 said:
manythings said:
LTK_70 said:

...Writing that down.
No really, if the receptors that detect the substance are inactivated, your body isn't aware of it and doesn't produce the reaction that causes you to choke and throw up.
Really? I thought it was more like the ability to smell cyanide just a genetic quirk but otherwise didn't effect you.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
Wow, thats impressive but it seems..... wierd. i dont like spicy food so i hope i dont get hit with one of those grenades

Hirushia

Sep 24, 2009
Did any1 else imagine a pepper grenade being used in Modern Warfare 3? How epic would that be

DarkDain

Jul 31, 2007
Dexiro said:
Wait it'd be used for personal defense? That's definatly bad news xD
I think i'd rather be kicked in the nuts than being made to throw up and have my eyes burnt out (my eyesight's bad enough damnit!). I really doubt i'd be in that kind of situation though.
It gets worse, whose to say they cant kick you in the nuts THEN throw a spice grenade at you? or vice versa !

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Am I the only person who read the title and immediately thought of Flea with a rifle?

Anyway, this is all well and good, but I ask you one question; does it go well with pizza?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Only 1.04 million Scoville units is "by far the hottest pepper known to man"?

The agronomy department at New Mexico State University would like a word with you. They've demonstrated the awesome power of genetic engineering by creating a pepper that packs a whopping 1.5 million Scovilles! ESPN's Rob Stone was persuaded to eat one on-camera at halftime of a NMSU/Nevada football game a couple of years back.

The stated reason for creating a pepper that hot? Not because eating one is badass. No. It's because having a pepper's natural defenses against predation (which is the point of capsaicin in the first place---pests and bacteria alike hate it) turned up to 11 helps cut down on the use of commercial pesticides, making the peppers more environmentally friendly. And because eating one is badass. Even Chuck Norris would break a sweat.