Indian Government Uses Comic Book to Scare Kids From Piracy

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
American groups and churches have been doing this for years, One I read was a demonizing Dungeons & Dragons by making it look like it would lead you to being a cultist and make your friends comment suicide.
ohhh church propaganda will you ever cease to be so unintentionally funny

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
I'd like to get a translated copy of this-- a government-issued comic book? Too cool. America is clearly behind the times on this one.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
Hey thats based on actual events

there really are internet knights......i should know because i am one.

we are called the INTERKNIGHTS!!

I myself quest in the lands of YOUTUBIA smiting evil trolls and vanquishing those who would seek to restart the dreaded Flamewar.

In that particular realm I go by the title of SIRATHRUS!!!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That's right kids, you'd better avoid piracy otherwise you might get sucked into your computer, gain superpowers, and become a champion of the Internet.
Yeah this is going to fail miserably.

Feb 13, 2008
Dark Dungeons anyone?

All they need to do is put out a press release "proving" Piracy makes your penis/breasts shrink. That would be SO much more effective.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Hmm, sounds like an interesting read. I'll be sure to pirate it once it comes out :p

All jokes aside; this comic reminds me of a D.A.R.E. propaganda video we were shown back in middle school. Where some kids think about using drugs(or one of them gets some drugs I forget) and they go on a magical adventure through the land of drugs where they are shown all the horrors of what they can do to you. It was a really absurd video, but paled in comparison to the lecture about AIDS we got the following year that involved a rubber band, an overhead projector, and some skittles.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Rather than educating kids about the illegalities of internet piracy, Escape from Terror Byte City warns/scares them about the dangers of viruses, trojans, and the possibility of outsiders gaining access to personal information. The comic can be read online here [http://www.nzfact.co.nz/press_releases/Escape%20from%20Terror%20Byte%20City.pdf].
For some reason, the idea of a comic about the horrors of aspects of the Internet being readable on the Internet I find hilarious.

This book also lies. I've torrented stuff in the past and at no point did I get sucked into my computer and become an Interknight. Yet when two kids just decide to watch Transformers they get all the fun :( My life sucks.

I'm also really tempted to review this comic book.

poiumty said:
I'm at a loss here. What dangers?
You know, the dangers. Just smile and nod along, it will all make sense in the end. Possibly.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I sincerely hope that the government is not paying for this themselves and this operation is completely funded by Bollywood. It is a multibillion dollar industry. The government should not be using taxpayer dollars to support it.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Fact: trying to shove a political message down somebody's throat with a comic makes you look like an idiot instead.

And how are indians supposed to get their hands on legal western stuff anyway? Be part of the top 0.1% income bracket and have a friend in customs? Bollywood is ridiculously protective over it's domestic market share and spends tons of money on crippling the import market.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
the west tried this with drugs in the 90s, and drugs are actually more difficult to get and more clearly dangerous to the user then pirating movies, and it didn't work.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Beltom1066 said:
So... if we download stuff off the internet we get to fight alongside anti-virus software soldiers killing the personification of malware?

Be right back, I need to find a torrent site.

This campaign probably won't end well.
Yeah... Pretty much this.

Little Billy: "Why shouldn't I illegally download things off the internet?"
Grown up: "Because if you do you'll find yourself in the most amazing adventure of your life! You'll get super powers and fight evil alongside a white knight inside a computer!"

... Yeah, that'll work...

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
There, they meet a magical internet security knight who tells them the errors of their ways. He then gives the children superpowers and they disinfect the entire internet.
It must be King Arthur and he wants you to be one of his Knights of the Round Motherboard!

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Escape from Terror Byte City imparts the epic tale of two young, innocent boys that download Transformers without transferring funds to the official owner, producer, or distributor of the intellectual property.
Aaaaaah! So the boys are Anti-heroes! Fighting against the injustice of having to pay for a Bay film!

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
Tom Goldman said:
Remember kids, don't download movies unless you want to get sucked into a computer to become an awesome virtual internet knight.
For reals? I'm going to download the entire Metallica Discography now!

That was a joke. I really don't think this will work. Mainly because NOTHING LIKE THIS HAS EVER WORKED. I mean, you wouldn't download a car, right?
You wouldn't shoot old grannies in the foot! So why are you watching a free movie?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
SextusMaximus said:
ProfessorLayton said:
Tom Goldman said:
Remember kids, don't download movies unless you want to get sucked into a computer to become an awesome virtual internet knight.
For reals? I'm going to download the entire Metallica Discography now!

That was a joke. I really don't think this will work. Mainly because NOTHING LIKE THIS HAS EVER WORKED. I mean, you wouldn't download a car, right?
You wouldn't shoot old grannies in the foot! So why are you watching a free movie?

Like that?