Indie Dev Thinks Indie Game Scene's "Out of Control"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Indie Dev Thinks Indie Game Scene's "Out of Control"

Though "out of control" isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Over the past few years, the independent gaming scene has erupted thanks to services like Steam, WiiWare, XBLA, and the PSN. One indie developer, though, thinks that this is a bit of a double-edged sword: On one hand, the general public is getting some great games, but there's a lot of junk to sift through in order to find a real gem.

Alex Neuse of Gaijin Games (the developer behind <a href=http://www.bittripgame.com/bittrip-runner.html>WiiWare hit BIT.TRIP.RUNNER) recently sat down with GameSetWatch to talk about the matter. When asked about the current state of indie games, Neuse said, "I think that the indie scene is out of control. There are SO many games being made, it's hard to keep track of them all. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but as a gamer who loves to play a game through to completion, I find it hard to set aside the time to give these games the play time they deserve."

Neuse also pointed out that a lot of these games tend to be rushed into publication, which is something he hopes to change in the future: "I hope to see more games actually get finished and make it to market. I'm sick of playing half-done games that are riddled with bugs. Like all consumers, I like products that work and that are complete experiences."

While I don't disagree with Neuse's wish for more finished products being released, I wish he had a suggestion for how quality games could stand out from the crowd for public attention. Neuse clearly doesn't have to worry about his game getting overlooked by the masses. BIT.TRIP.RUNNER is currently nominated for the "Excellence in Visual Art" award in the 2011 Independent Games Festival.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/02/road_to_the_igf_we_go_bittripr.php>GameSetWatch via <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-02-07-bit-trip-dev-indie-scene-out-of-control>GamesIndustry.biz

Jul 22, 2009
I suppose I partially feel the same...

There are tons and tons of indie titles out there but I'm not sure how to find the gems that are as deep as Recettear or as addictive yet simple as Epic Dungeon.

I hope we find a way round this...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I think there is a definate differance in quality between independant games because the "group" is so big. They range from groups that border on being professional "big" companies, to kids throwing together a twinstick shooter or something for a school computer class and then seeing if they can make a few bucks selling it online. Not to mention people who see the entire thing as a great way of trolling or making bad jokes, you get a few "developers" who seem like they throw together trashy games just so they can get "lulz" out of seeing the name on the XBL game list, or if they can find someone stupid enough to pay for it (or make games that seem to be mocking the person playing them).

Dealing with the problems in the "indie" game market though would probably ruin the freedom that makes it appealing. Like anything that is free enough to get massive numbers of people involve, your going to have to wade through 10 tons of crap for every gem you find.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I'm not a fan of the indie group. I feel like i'm complaining that leaves are green here but indie games are always too simple. Most of the submissions on XBL, for example, only use a few buttons and have extremely simplistic and boring gameplay. Or they try too hard to be Braid, which I never found to be all that interesting anyway.

Notable exception: LIMBO, which is an absolutely amazing title. Not sure if it counts as an indie title but I found it to be a jewel of a game.

Just my opinion though.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Strangely, the same could be said of big production games too! Wierd huh?

But seriously, I would definitely appreciate a "meta critic" for indie games.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Neuse also pointed out that a lot of these games tend to be rushed into publication, which is something he hopes to change in the future: "I hope to see more games actually get finished and make it to market. I'm sick of playing half-done games that are riddled with bugs. Like all consumers, I like products that work and that are complete experiences."
What about the games that make it to market that are half-done games that are riddled with bugs? (Fallout and New Vegas both spring immediately to mind, amongst many others this year only even). I think he'll still be looking for product to play if he's looking at the market for "finished" games...

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
look at the vid. Pause at 1.28. Holy crap meat boy!!
That's funny. This character is playable in SMB and I had no clue where he was from until just now.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Electrogecko said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
look at the vid. Pause at 1.28. Holy crap meat boy!!
That's funny. This character is playable in SMB and I had no clue where he was from until just now.
Everyone is a playable character in the PC version of SMB, although i do love minecradft guy :)
I unlocked "The Kid" (I think that's his name) from I Wanna Be The Guy and I'm damn proud of myself for it. I think the Steam achievement stats said about 1% got it. Apparently, I missed several much easier characters from earlier in the game. I need to start playing SMB again....I never beat the dark world Dr. Fetus.