Indie Dev Threatens to Kill Gabe Newell, Valve Pulls His Game From Steam

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Fuck all this stuff about the lesson being 'don't send death threats' the lesson is, don't type shit on twitter when your pissed off. Because other than in the literal sense, I don't see a death threat.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
You... Who... WHY? How can someone that had such a hard time dealing with getting a game on Steam then goes on like a complete dumbass and do something as idiotic as a death threat? And even worse, makes it in something as public as Twitter.

While I get that you might get angry at something, it still surprises me how some people just have no grasp whatsoever when it comes to this, "death threats" won't be taken lightly if you're not a 5 year old, and not even, no matter if it's as stupid as "Im gonna kill him or something".

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
To be fair some of the blame does lie with Valve too. The people responsible should have done their jobs correctly and not advertised the game as early access. The guy should have not issued a death threat or gotten a upset as much as he did but both parties are at fault for this one.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Ronack said:
Sooooooo, Gaben doesn't announce it all over twitter, leaves his house for feeling threatened, blame gamergate, has his friend plug his work and go on MSNBC? Well, well, well ...
Careful. You'll have the SJW's on you for trying to compare the suffering of women in the industry to the suffering of men int he industry if that comment gets out.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
alj said:
Ronack said:
Sooooooo, Gaben doesn't announce it all over twitter, leaves his house for feeling threatened, blame gamergate, has his friend plug his work and go on MSNBC? Well, well, well ...
That made me laugh. I think this should be the main focus of this article this is an example of what a normal person does after a threat not a professional victim like you know who.
... Yeah... Because a general twitter message from an angry guy venting on twitter whose identity is known is totally the same thing a specific direct threat from an unknown source referencing a massacre at a certain time and place where there is no effort to control lethal weapons.
Like, identical. Right?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Bat Vader said:
To be fair some of the blame does lie with Valve too. The people responsible should have done their jobs correctly and not advertised the game as early access. The guy should have not issued a death threat or gotten a upset as much as he did but both parties are at fault for this one.
I do agree, but what he should have done is contacted Valve asking for them to change the game page and then maybe explain on Twitter that the game was no longer in early access and that there is a mistake on Steam. The way he acted however is acceptable.

Capcha: I can fix it. No capcha this one is above even you.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Adultratedhydra said:
Ronack said:
Careful. You'll have the SJW's on you for trying to compare the suffering of women in the industry to the suffering of men int he industry if that comment gets out.
Yeeeeah......you know that this shit is why people don't take GamerGate seriously, right?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
"You pressed the 'Threaten the Famous Person You Have Business Dealings With' Button. You shouldn't have done that."

Why do I get the feeling an army of nerds, armed with crowbars and dressed in homemade HEV suits, has gathered outside Gabe's house, hoping to protect him so Half-Life 3 will be made. (No offense to sane Half-Life fans here. That's just the first image to pop into my head whilst reading the headline.)

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
AntiChri5 said:
Adultratedhydra said:
Ronack said:
Yeeeeah......you know that this shit is why people don't take GamerGate seriously, right?
Im not for either side. Gamergate is stupid, the three professional victims are stupid, everyone in that debacle is stupid and they just havent realised it yet.

I mean you have people wanting their 5 minutes of fame on one side, people shouting into a vacuum on the other. Both sides have no points to make anymore. they're both just shouting at eachother trying to one up each shot the other takes. Self fulfilling prophecy at this point.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
chikusho said:
alj said:
Ronack said:
That made me laugh. I think this should be the main focus of this article this is an example of what a normal person does after a threat not a professional victim like you know who.
... Yeah... Because a general twitter message from an angry guy venting on twitter whose identity is known is totally the same thing a specific direct threat from an unknown source referencing a massacre at a certain time and place where there is no effort to control lethal weapons.
Like, identical. Right?
A number of specific threats.

In any case, the idea that a victim has to respond a certain way, or that they magically don't count for soem reason...that's a very common form of victim blaming there.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
chikusho said:
alj said:
Ronack said:
Like, identical. Right?
Dude, its Gabe Newell.

The amount of jokes of him being fat have been going on for so many years now, add to that the fact that its incrediblt likely that he probably got his fair share of hate mail because of Half Life 3

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
[http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/ccespedes33/media/images2.jpg.html]
Well that was.. err.. not smart. Pure stupidity? A burst of rage? An attempt to sabotage his own game and get some free time on jail as a bonus? Guess we'll never know.
Ronack said:
There's nothing like a good laugh in the morning, thank you.

RetroMenace

Dec 29, 2009
Welshdan15 said:
When was his game finished? The violent rant was wrong but I guess if the game had been fully done for a long time I'd be mad too (not death threats mad but still). I don't know too much about Steam, only got an account when I started uni last month, so I don't know how long Steam usually takes to update stuff like this.
His game was released yesterday. Apparently he had finished it and attempted to upload it during the weekend, but Valve doesn't allow people to just release their games whenever they feel like it. As such, why he initially got upset at them.

Then, after a weekend of waiting for launch day (which would provide him a massive increase in sales, which for an indie dev which doesn't get a regular salary, is kind of a big deal) Valve lets him launch it... and doesn't update the banner and as such falsely advertises the game as Early-Access when it is in fact a fully released product.

While the guy was a huge arse and shouldn't have overreacted, Valve did something that would have immensely hurt the sales of the game (had they not straight out removed it), which is a TERRIBLE thing for indie devs. There really seems like there needs to be more communication between Valve and people who provide products for them to sell.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Why seem so many "professionals" in this industry act like 13 year old children? I guess we only ever hear from the ones that can't behave but I doubt any other industry has this many people behaving this unprofessional in public. Especially the last few months with the GG/anti-GG bullshit have been bad.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
RetroMenace said:
While the guy was a huge arse and shouldn't have overreacted, Valve did something that would have immensely hurt the sales of the game (had they not straight out removed it), which is a TERRIBLE thing for indie devs. There really seems like there needs to be more communication between Valve and people who provide products for them to sell.
Also this isn't the first issue they had with Valve, this happened after literally months of bullshit with them.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
J Tyran said:
Please, for the love of God, were not where. Where is location, were is state.
I mean this as helpfully as I can, it's kind of important to get your point across

OT: Not part of the story, but any word on whether he actually reached out to Valve FIRST? This seems like a "Banner needs updating doods, here I attached one for you" kind of problem.

At least everyone involved is a guy so we can't possibly get into GamerGate ter-

... Ahhhh for fuck's sake...

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Holy shit...what a colossal moron. To think I supported this guy because of how hard he had it getting PA through greenlight.
Also #REKT is very much appropriate.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Jeez, I can understand his temper boiling over after being screwed like that, but threatening to kill someone is one of the FEW things which could actually get him kicked out of Steam. Seriously, he couldn't just go with a few F-bombs and calling Gabe an a-hole?