Indie Dev Threatens to Kill Gabe Newell, Valve Pulls His Game From Steam

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
First of all, that wasn't a death threat. That was a angry guy being, like many many people, hyperbolic. Of course he isn't going to kill him, but I doubt many people haven't heard someone say something akin to that about someone or something that pissed them off.

Second of all, I do hope Steam doesn't continue to seem like a be-all end-all for a lot of PC games. Honestly, I don't even like Steam, but at times it seems like the only choice for something or something. (Of course there are other options now, but it's not as large as a install base I think, but i'm not entirely familiar with systems like Steam asides Steam.)

Third of all, that was a stupid thing to do. But clickbait title is clickbait.

battleoncat

Oct 16, 2014
http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice#disqus_thread

Looking at this and reading the first comment if this is true the guy got what he deserved.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Ronack said:
Sooooooo, Gaben doesn't announce it all over twitter, leaves his house for feeling threatened, blame gamergate, has his friend plug his work and go on MSNBC? Well, well, well ...
I'd like to congratulate you on your complete and utter failure to understand how the two things aren't even remotely equivalent.

alj said:
That made me laugh. I think this should be the main focus of this article this is an example of what a normal person does after a threat not a professional victim like you know who.
Not sure if you're serious or not since this is the internet. In an ideal world, you'd be making a joke and wouldn't actually believe what you just said. But this is far from an ideal world. So in the event you are serious, I'd love to see you explain to me how one man who is angry about the handling of his games launch opening his mouth without thinking is in any way equivalent to a woman speaking out about sexism in games getting hundreds, if not thousands, of death threats for having the audacity to suggest there might be a problem with the portrayal of women in the industry. Keeping in mind that quite a few male commentators have made similar arguments while none of them, to my knowledge, have received the incredibly negative backlash or threats against their lives. Leading one to the inescapable conclusion that these threats didn't happen because of the arguments being made, but because it was a woman making them.

Yep, feel free to explain how those are similar in even the remotest of ways. I'm sure we'll all be happy to sit and wait to see what silly bullshit you pull out of your ass to try and argue that a woman receiving thousands of death threats actually taking them seriously is over reacting or being a professional victim.

And if anyone else would like to chime in with some utterly absurd arguments or some casual sexism, feel free. It makes it easier for the rest of us to know who we should add to our ignore lists.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
softclocks said:
oldtaku said:
Wow. So entitled. He's lucky the only thing they did was pull his game.

And Steam's not a monopoly, you poor stupid entitled manchild. Why don't you ask Mojang about that?
Calm down friend, your rage is showing.
That's not rage, that's bemused disbelief. He didn't do anything to /me/.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Why people still hold onto this notion that Valve is comprised entirely of a collective of naive lay-a-bouts who sit around all day doing nothing is beyond me. The company's output since 1998 should be evidence enough to the contrary.
Most people seem to hold to some strange notion that Valve hasn't really released many games since Half-Life 2. Those people fail to notice that they've released about a game a year since then. The majority of them being absolutely amazing, selling well, and being fairly critically acclaimed.

Most people don't actually deal with reality. Instead they construct elaborate fantasies and ***** about their own assumptions and ignorance rather than taking the 10 seconds looking up Valve on Wikipedia would take.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well I learned today that it is not a very good idea to vent on Twitter.
Wait, I knew that already.
That's just common sense.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
chikusho said:
alj said:
Ronack said:
Sooooooo, Gaben doesn't announce it all over twitter, leaves his house for feeling threatened, blame gamergate, has his friend plug his work and go on MSNBC? Well, well, well ...
That made me laugh. I think this should be the main focus of this article this is an example of what a normal person does after a threat not a professional victim like you know who.
... Yeah... Because a general twitter message from an angry guy venting on twitter whose identity is known is totally the same thing a specific direct threat from an unknown source referencing a massacre at a certain time and place where there is no effort to control lethal weapons.
Like, identical. Right?
Or because Gabe actually understands that because of the position hes in the chance of being killed is very slim. He knows how much PC gamers worship him as the second coming of Christ. Anita of course isn't seen in the same way and thus is more liable for mistakes and issues.

Praise be Lord Gaben.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Don't post when you're mad is the lesson here, it's not a legit death threat, he just posted something stupid when he was pissed off and it had severe repurcussions.

Shame he couldnt calm down and step away, as the game is very enjoyable.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Indie Dev Threatens to Kill Gabe Newell. Valve Pulls His Game From Steam
Huh.

So what you're saying is, all we have to do is figure out a way to get Strategy First to issue a death threat, and the Steam storefront will clean itself up?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Vivi22 said:
Most people seem to hold to some strange notion that Valve hasn't really released many games since Half-Life 2. Those people fail to notice that they've released about a game a year since then. The majority of them being absolutely amazing, selling well, and being fairly critically acclaimed.

Most people don't actually deal with reality. Instead they construct elaborate fantasies and ***** about their own assumptions and ignorance rather than taking the 10 seconds looking up Valve on Wikipedia would take.
The one that really gets me are these people that make sweeping proclamations about Valve's work and employee structure. Often saying there's no accountability and no project structure. Some even refer to Newell and others as CEOs and managers as if the company has a standard top-down hierarchy.

All this, even after Valve made their new employee handbook public quite some time ago.

I mean, I'm all for criticizing Valve for their cock-ups. Gods know I have my own litany of grievances. But can we all at least keep the complaints and criticisms in reality? That's all I ask.

Aurion

Dec 21, 2012
Bat Vader said:
To be fair some of the blame does lie with Valve too. The people responsible should have done their jobs correctly and not advertised the game as early access. The guy should have not issued a death threat or gotten a upset as much as he did but both parties are at fault for this one.
No, they're not.

See, you and more than a few people seem to be under a basic misapprehension: that any problems with Steam as a platform or Valve as a company that the developer had is in any way, shape, or form justification for his conduct.

It is not. Valve is entirely justified to cut him loose.

e: hurr hurr post 69.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Yeah, it seemed like an empty threat whether it was or not. Yeah, he was out of line despite how he was feeling or what Valve did.

Also yeah, he seems like a giant ass in general and he was hoisted by his own petard here and from what I've seen from screenshots and such from Steam chats, his buddy Travis is a jerk, too. However, when Mike went and flubs like this Travis at least issued a FORMAL apology (not the one Mike wrote about leaving Code Avarice).

So no, I don't particularly feel sorry for either of them. I DO feel bad for the other three people involved as they don't have a history of being douchebags.

I have no opinion on Steam; I only use them when it's convenient and the games I have from them aren't like best-sellers anyway so I don't really care

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
This is why I don't take death threats seriously. The guy was obviously venting.

That said, I'm happy his game is gone, we don't need it. People shouldn't be giving an asshat like him money.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Aurion said:
Bat Vader said:
To be fair some of the blame does lie with Valve too. The people responsible should have done their jobs correctly and not advertised the game as early access. The guy should have not issued a death threat or gotten a upset as much as he did but both parties are at fault for this one.
No, they're not.

See, you and more than a few people seem to be under a basic misapprehension: that any problems with Steam as a platform or Valve as a company that the developer had is in any way, shape, or form justification for his conduct.

It is not. Valve is entirely justified to cut him loose.

e: hurr hurr post 69.
I never said his conduct was justified. In fact in my post I even stated he should not have acted the way he did. The people at Valve should have done their jobs right the first time and not labeled his game as being in early access. I never said they were not justified either but they are partly at fault for it. You wouldn't be angry if you put a game on Steam and then lost sales because someone at Valve messed up and labeled your game as in Early Access?

This is as far as it goes. I don't care about dealing with you or your inevitable reply so I will save us both some time and add you to my ignore list now.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
8bitOwl said:
I feel like the internet is making people act more and more immature...

Nah. I think it's just your imagination.

We're all quite mature here. Quite.

As for the OP: Well...I wouldn't take it seriously, at all, but still, not the brightest move.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Huh. It's almost like talking trash and making threats towards your business partner is counter intuitive to the concept of professional relationships. Who'd have thunked that?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Wow, idiot does not even BEGIN to describe this man. Does nobody ever learn from the mistakes of people like this who make Really REALLY boneheaded decisions like this?