Indie Developer Releases Side-Scrolling 8-Bit Version of Team Fortress 2

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Indie Developer Releases Side-Scrolling 8-Bit Version of Team Fortress 2

Valve's team-based multiplayer shooter gets a pixilated makeover.

A huge fan of classic arcade gaming, Eric Ruth has created low-res pixilated versions of several modern games, including Halo, DJ Hero [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97251-Shoot-8-Bit-Zombies-in-Left-4-Dead-De-Make-Today]. This past weekend saw the release of Ruth's latest retro "demake" Team Fortress Arcade, which takes Valve's multiplayer shooter Team Fortress 2 and turns it into a side-scrolling beat-em-up starring everyone's favorite crew of dysfunctional mercenaries.

"I'm a BIG fan of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Final Fight, Streets Of Rage, X-Men Arcade and the mostly forgotten DJ Boy." Ruth said. "So, naturally, I tried combining two things I love together."

TFA features all nine character classes in TF2 with attributes and abilities based around their particular TF2skill sets. The Engineer deploys waves of sentries, The Spy uses his invisibility to get out of harm's way, and The Heavy is just good at being hard to kill. Players battle their way through several stages defended by TF2's RED team, several of which are inspired by some of TF2's game modes such as Payload.

TFA is available for free here [http://pikigeek-content.s3.amazonaws.com/TeamFortressArcade.zip]. Currently, Ruth doesn't have any plans to include any kind of item drop or hat system in future updates, but has stated that more game modes are in the works, including online co-op and player-versus-player.

Source: 1Up [http://geek.pikimal.com/2011/09/29/team-fortress-arcade-releases-today-download-it-free-now/]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Now now...the big question is. Are there hats in this game?

OT: Looks cool...I'll download it later :D

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I thought this was going to be about http://ganggarrison.com/

That said, this looks pretty sweet.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
That was pretty cool. I killed the Pyro and then called it quits for today. But it was pretty fun.

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
OH no, umm didn't anyone else notice that the perspective is broken? for example, when one of those little flying robots drops a bomb, you don't have to be actually under it to be hit. If you look at the robot's shadow, that should be the region where you'd have to be standing to be hit by the bombs. But it doesn't happen like that. I kept getting hit by bombs(not the explosions) that were (in theory) falling several feet beside me. Same thing in the second level with that boulder. I was (in theory) beside the boulder but because my character model was "behind" the boulder model I was hit.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Played it now, beat the spy then I accidently hit ESC button :<

Which quits the game and the game as no save function...which makes me sadface.

Fun game, hit boxes are a bit annoying, especially with bombs and boulders. Rocket jumping with soldiers helps alot though xD

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Went for the long hall and beat the whole thing, took about an hour.

The boss battles I found difficult other than the final one, were the Medic and Spy battles.

I played as Heavy Weapons Guy, because he is credit to team.

The battle between me and the red Heavy I found the easiest, but it was hilarious. We both ran up right next to each other and blared away with our Sashas, and because I had more health I won without dieing.

It was a nice and fun diversion.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
TRR said:
OH no, umm didn't anyone else notice that the perspective is broken? for example, when one of those little flying robots drops a bomb, you don't have to be actually under it to be hit. If you look at the robot's shadow, that should be the region where you'd have to be standing to be hit by the bombs. But it doesn't happen like that. I kept getting hit by bombs(not the explosions) that were (in theory) falling several feet beside me. Same thing in the second level with that boulder. I was (in theory) beside the boulder but because my character model was "behind" the boulder model I was hit.
I didn't have a problem with being hit like that. The same happens in the NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade game. You have to be two to three levels up, down, left, or right from explosions, and sometimes it is that if the graphic hits you on the map you will be hit.

I take it as: Yes it is a 2D game, but some of the hit detection acts like 3D. Is that rolling boulder a flat line rolling along, the game doesn't see it as such, it is a sphere in two dimensions acting like it has three. The same goes for explosions.

It isn't much of a problem anyway, since you get unlimited continues.

therandombear said:
Played it now, beat the spy then I accidently hit ESC button :<

Which quits the game and the game as no save function...which makes me sadface.

Fun game, hit boxes are a bit annoying, especially with bombs and boulders. Rocket jumping with soldiers helps alot though xD
I knew early on that the Esc button did that. Then while I was also on the Spy level, my cat that likes to jump up on my bed and roll on my keyboard, happened to jump up. Luckily I was able to make it go away.

So sorry, you had just one more level to go.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Played it, beat it, enjoyed it. Play it if you can.

Best classes (Solo): Soldier, Heavy, Pyro
Worst classes (Solo): Medic, Engineer, Sniper

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Beat the game and yeah, that was pretty freaking great. The Medic was stupid hard but the sniper was freaking easy. I breezed through most of the game as a Pyro (I say most of because Pyro v Pyro is a *****) LOVED the end boss too!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
therandombear said:
Now now...the big question is. Are there hats in this game?
*Cough* Um...
Currently, Ruth doesn't have any plans to include any kind of item drop or hat system in future updates
Learn to read the article before posting, I guess?

Sargonza

Oct 12, 2010
Played as scout, completed the game and enjoyed it a lot. Except for the Medic battle. That was SO tedious...

And the Engineer battle also seemed ridiculously easy