Indie Studio Takes X-Com Into Its Own Hands With Xenonauts

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Looks quite interesting. Yeah, there have been loads of "spiritual successors" to X-COM, but what's wrong with one that does it right? Everything I've seen on the site intrigues me, so I'll probably end up buying it.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Worgen said:
now that looks like the xcom I know I love, fuck this fps shit that doesnt appear to have anything to do with the series
Exactly my feelings. I won't lie though, X-com going 3D is no different to me than Fallout 3 doing as much to the Fallout series.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Icehearted said:
Worgen said:
now that looks like the xcom I know I love, fuck this fps shit that doesnt appear to have anything to do with the series
Exactly my feelings. I won't lie though, X-com going 3D is no different to me than Fallout 3 doing as much to the Fallout series.
at least fallout 3 had some stuff from the original games, the new "xcom" doesnt share a damn thing with the original series, they might as well have just called it biohalo

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Fair enough, Worgen, but the same might be said about the new X-Com someday. I played the old Fallout games and love them, Fallout 3 however only felt like oblivion re-skinned/themed with Fallout.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
AC10 said:
Wasn't there another free and fanmade x-com sucessor out there already?
I forget what it was called.
Well, there's UFO 2000, X-Com Extra terrestrials (looks very much like this), UFO Alien Invasion, the Aftermath series, X-Com the Two Sides... yeah it's a very popular game to revive.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
octafish said:
SachielOne said:
You know, the plasma blast to the face is actually the best scenario. Turning the corner to run smack into a Chyssalid without enough AP left to get a shot off was always FAR worse.
Prime Plasma Grenade. Time 0 turns. Goodbye squadie

Hmm, maybe I won't buy a 3DS just to play Ghost Recon now.
Not an option when you don't have enough AP to pr... Oooooooh, teammates. nvm

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
Though X-Com's original creators, namely Julian Gollop, have been developing titles such as Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars [http://www.amazon.com/Rebelstar-Tactical-Command-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B000A2GX2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305207350&sr=8-1] for the 3DS, Xenonauts looks a little more like a return to the joy of discovering an alien behind a corner that'll blast your face off with a laser pistol.

Sadly it appears that Julian does not like to acknowledge his excellent Laster Squad Nemesis game that was a very fun spiritual successor to the X-Com games. Instead of being purely Turn based, you gave orders to your troops and they were carried out in 10 second segments, simultaneously. It really felt like something Tom Clancy would have come up with if the Rainbow Six games were more niche without any shooter elements. It was also an absolute blast. Much of the long term appeal was the multi-player, but if you pick up a boxed copy (apparently still available) it has an excellent single player 'campaign' and hotseat multi-player.

In the meantime, there is always the free http://www.stellarforces.com/ (not pretty by any means, but very functional, and hey, its free!)

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Guh, $30 for an indie game? I'd be all for supporting them but that's more than I can afford.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Oh noes! Cover-based mechanism and chest-high walls for a TBS game! Ruination!

Kidding aside, while Swords of Star 2 will keep Homeworld fans satiated, this will hopefully do the same for X-Com fans. Cheers, small independent developers!
I like how they used a cel-shaded artstyle. Clever ploy to both keep the texture resources down AND not some like a gray and brown modern shooter (with a twist). I'll be keeping my eye on this.

VyperX

Jul 14, 2009
*preordered*

They had better make this work...

I'm hoping they find a way to merge UFO and TFTD together. And if they add multiplayer that would be awesome. :)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
So THIS is what XCom is... or was. Awesome I always wanted to play a elite squad tactical strategy thing. I heard Games-Workshop released one but I couldnt find it at the time. Im definatly going to give this one a look.

Very much interested in the new XCom too.