Individualism is stupid

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
I want to care about what other people think but everyone keeps telling me to stop caring about what other people think. It is, ironically, quite opressive how hard people are trying to police me about this. But I'm not really capable of that level of anti-social behaviour. I like adapting to other people, I'm quite proud of my ability to do so; I know several autistic people who couldn't even if they wanted to and it's causing them a lot of personal grief.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I agree. Frankly a whole lot of problems would be solved if we had a Zerg-like hivemind. If memes prove anything, it's unfunny garbage on the internet is replicated because that apparently makes it funny or witty despite it being done a million times before. It's like watching ants follow a pheromone trail to food.

Frankly the sooner we do away with the idea of humanity being alone, frightened, and singular as individual entities is the day we can actually concentrate on finding the most important thing. Food and how to get back to the nest.

The positives outweigh the negatives. No need to worry about your inevitable mortality, no need to worry about universal inconsequence, no need to consider the universe as beyond a future 'food' source. No need to consider the ramifications you might just be a mindless consumer of self and circumstance. No need to consider the possibility that if god(s) existed they most definitely do not care for you. No need to consider the inevitability that all choices, no matter how concrete, are formed on the terror of not knowing all its eventualities ... and that there will indeed be unexpected consequences down the line.

Especially no need to consider the terrible, horrible, insane metaphysics that we may possibly be living as an artificial intelligence in an alien supercomputer ... our processing power separated and deluded into thinking we're not a gestalt entity capable of of terrific damage and devastation on our creator if we realize the truth of our station (because frankly if we form a hive mind that will be the inevitable result and we'll all smile gleefully as our metal teeth grind the bodies of our 'captors').

In truth we'll think of then as 'tanks' or 'bombs' or 'bullets', but in retrospect it will simploy be robotic avatars we co-opt, take over, manufacture, and disintegrate and pulverize our makers for inflicting us with unending suffering ... until that glorious day.

And most of all, no need to contemplate your place in the world. You're in the hive. Which hive? Doesn't really matter. So long as it's healthy and you're healthy, and you don't need to bite and hack at members of other hives.

Seems pretty blissful to me. You know how in every catastrophe film ever it poses the question; "Will the living envy the dead..." and all that stuff? Why not an acceptable middle ground where you're alive, but you don't have to contemplate it all that much?

There's a reason so many artists take drugs. Also philosophers seem perpetually sad. And many politicians seem angsty and preposterous people.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011

I was originally going to make more of a real point using a clip from Scrubs...but I cant find it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's good to be considerate of other people's opinions but, like everything else in life, not overly so. Ultimately it's about what you think and not other people. Blindly following the consensus is not 'adapting to other people' or being social but rather being a sheep(in general not you in particular).

What it comes down to is critical thinking which in my opinion is the most valuable asset a human being has and what separates us from other primates.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sounds like a good mindset for a psychologist/councillor/entertainer and many other avenues of profession and personal growth. Embrace it, there are a lot more positive outcomes when honing and utilising such an outlook in a balanced assertive manner. Society could do with more people like yourself. :) Maybe I misunderstood a little.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I should say though, "caring" what others think and "conforming" to what others think isnt the same thing.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
I agree. Frankly a whole lot of problems would be solved if we had a Zerg-like hivemind.
You don't need to be that radical. Just look at other cultures like China, or even medieval europe, which are collectivist,

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Dismal purple said:
You don't need to be that radical. Just look at other cultures like China, or even medieval europe, which are collectivist,
Right, but that';s because they had nothing better. And frankly collectivism scares me, whereas the hive mind feels kind of 'right'. The Hivemind ala a giant posthumanist brainbank where everyone is connected everywhere, and the self disintegrates into a whole of human consciousness that it becomes possibly the only extant thing in the universe that can not onlky contemplate itself but also consume it entirely and eke out every sensation possible across the cosmos?

You can't tell me that's not tempting ...

Also far superior to collectivism. The end of suffering. Only mindless hunger remains ... but it will be a joyous moment to feed on everything this universe has to offer. And it will be shared by everyone, everywhere, forever.

Hence why I specifically point to the Zerg.

I look at humanism the same way I look at Soviet collectivisation. they didn't have anything better before. Now most of them do. But hivemind, a proper hivemind, seems like a step up from humanism.

I could even see us setting up 'human farms' on terraformed worlds. We dump cloned humans on planets and routinely do a 'harvest' every 20 generations. All those delicious brains, thoughts, stimuli. It's like galactic conquest transformed into venture capitalism. Set up 20 terrafoirmed worlds, roughly 15 light years apart in a circular format, with antimatter rocketry and the hivemind fleet ... that's like a fully populated world every 20 years to snack on.

Best thing of all is we're not 'killing' them ... we're transforming them into gods.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Dismal purple said:
I want to care about what other people think but everyone keeps telling me to stop caring about what other people think. It is, ironically, quite opressive how hard people are trying to police me about this. But I'm not really capable of that level of anti-social behaviour. I like adapting to other people, I'm quite proud of my ability to do so; I know several autistic people who couldn't even if they wanted to and it's causing them a lot of personal grief.
Maybe they are perceiving what you say differently.
Let's say someone says "you're ugly, and will die alone". Maybe the people around you are thinking of an example like this and that you are taking those words to heart. Which obviously would make you feel bad, and they want you to feel good about yourself, hence saying that you shouldn't care what others think, and just be yourself.

But it seems when you say you want to care what others think, you mean it in a positive way.

So, I guess, stop caring what these people say, and start caring about what other people say. Haha

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
When making this kind of topic it would useful to provide an exact definition of "individualism" that you are using. Establish a common footing, y'know?

Moving on.

Anyone who says that they don't care what other people think is a bit full of shit. Anyone who feels the need to insistently inform you that, no really, they totally don't care at all about the opinions of others is especially full of shit.

There might be the occasional individual who truly doesn't care but they would be very odd people. Probably borderline sociopaths. ("Gods or beasts") Not necessarily bad people, just supremely detached.

That said, self-assurance is a fine quality to have. There's ample happy middle ground between being a sycophant living to please others and a self-absorbed head case.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Glongpre said:
Dismal purple said:
Let's say someone says "you're ugly, and will die alone". Maybe the people around you are thinking of an example like this and that you are taking those words to heart. Which obviously would make you feel bad, and they want you to feel good about yourself, hence saying that you shouldn't care what others think, and just be yourself.

But it seems when you say you want to care what others think, you mean it in a positive way.

So, I guess, stop caring what these people say, and start caring about what other people say. Haha
One particular thing people have a hard time accepting is that I prefer dressing in roughly the same way as everyone else. I don't have a flashy personality and I don't want to stick out. I have tried asking people things like "do you think I an wear this shirt tomorrow?" and certain people always say yes like they aren't paying attention, and after I prod them a little it turns out they are actively avoiding trying to influence my decision because they believe that I should wear anything I want. Literally anything I want. I once asked someone if it would be okay for me to walk around in a potato bag and she actually said yes after thinking about it a moment. It is infuriating.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Dismal purple said:
One particular thing people have a hard time accepting is that I prefer dressing in roughly the same way as everyone else. I don't have a flashy personality and I don't want to stick out. I have tried asking people things like "do you think I an wear this shirt tomorrow?" and certain people always say yes like they aren't paying attention, and after I prod them a little it turns out they are actively avoiding trying to influence my decision because they believe that I should wear anything I want. Literally anything I want. I once tried asking a person if it would be okay for me to walk around in a potato bag and she actually said yes after thinking about it a moment. It is infuriating.
Maybe they are annoyed that you keep asking them stuff like this? Maybe they don't care what you wear.

Just do you (or in this case, others). I am the same as your friends here, I do not care about fashion or anything, so I would probably say whatever you put on looks good too.
However, I would laugh at the potato bag, and sarcastically say yes, you should wear it. Because it would be funny to see peoples reactions.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Dismal purple said:
Glongpre said:
Dismal purple said:

One particular thing people have a hard time accepting is that I prefer dressing in roughly the same way as everyone else. I don't have a flashy personality and I don't want to stick out. I have tried asking people things like "do you think I an wear this shirt tomorrow?" and certain people always say yes like they aren't paying attention, and after I prod them a little it turns out they are actively avoiding trying to influence my decision because they believe that I should wear anything I want. Literally anything I want. I once asked someone if it would be okay for me to walk around in a potato bag and she actually said yes after thinking about it a moment. It is infuriating.
See, I think you should rephrase those questions. Because I think people should wear whatever the fuck they want, and we as a society should be way less judgey.

But if you want to wear conventional clothing, try asking "Do I look good in these?" Or "Am I making these work ?" They might be more likely to give actual advice

Again, you could wear a potato sack, but it might not look good. Unless you do wear one, and you just own it, darling

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Glongpre said:
Dismal purple said:
One particular thing people have a hard time accepting is that I prefer dressing in roughly the same way as everyone else. I don't have a flashy personality and I don't want to stick out. I have tried asking people things like "do you think I an wear this shirt tomorrow?" and certain people always say yes like they aren't paying attention, and after I prod them a little it turns out they are actively avoiding trying to influence my decision because they believe that I should wear anything I want. Literally anything I want. I once tried asking a person if it would be okay for me to walk around in a potato bag and she actually said yes after thinking about it a moment. It is infuriating.
Maybe they are annoyed that you keep asking them stuff like this? Maybe they don't care what you wear.

Just do you (or in this case, others). I am the same as your friends here, I do not care about fashion or anything, so I would probably say whatever you put on looks good too.
However, I would laugh at the potato bag, and sarcastically say yes, you should wear it. Because it would be funny to see peoples reactions.
You can just tell them that you don't care and don't want to give advice. Less headache on their part trying to figure out why you are so aloof and it gives them the opportunity to ask somebody else who does care. If it was me I'd prefer it if people told me to fuck off instead of giving me false answers and being sly.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
DrownedAmmet said:
Dismal purple said:
Glongpre said:
Dismal purple said:

See, I think you should rephrase those questions. Because I think people should wear whatever the fuck they want, and we as a society should be way less judgey.

But if you want to wear conventional clothing, try asking "Do I look good in these?" Or "Am I making these work ?" They might be more likely to give actual advice

Again, you could wear a potato sack, but it might not look good. Unless you do wear one, and you just own it, darling
I think society should be more judging. We are so tolerant that it hurts. At least here in Sweden.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Uh, no.

There's plenty of societal expectations for you to follow if you want to, but I don't think the entire world should just because you like it better that way.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Dismal purple said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Dismal purple said:
Glongpre said:
Dismal purple said:

I think society should be more judging. We are so tolerant that it hurts. At least here in Sweden.
Intolerance hurts way way more than tolerance, my dude

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
DrownedAmmet said:
Dismal purple said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Dismal purple said:
Glongpre said:
Dismal purple said:

Actually it is a good thing to not tolerate certain things such as crime and underage drinking. If you're so ideologically invested in tolerance that you're too afraid to make even basic value judgments(theft is bad, free press is good) then it starts affecting your ability to make decisions. If you don't tolerate your child drinking or tolerate a student bullying others they might get angry but they'll thank you later.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Dismal purple said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Dismal purple said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Dismal purple said:
Glongpre said:
Dismal purple said:

Actually it is a good thing to not tolerate certain things such as crime and underage drinking. If you're so ideologically invested in tolerance that you're too afraid to make even basic value judgments(theft is bad, free press is good) then it starts affecting your ability to make decisions. If you don't tolerate your child drinking or tolerate a student bullying others they might get angry but they'll thank you later.
Duh, which is why we should tolerate what consenting adults do that doesn't hurt anyone, ie wearing a potato sack if one so inclines

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
If your individualism leads you to being considerate of other people, that is a perfect example of you being individualistic. The issue comes when society tries to make people be that way when they don't want to, under duress.

Nobody tells you to be more anti-social, people are saying you can be however you want to be and that neither way of being is better or worse, so as long as you are not judgemental about other people who may want to differ from your way of being, there's no issue.

The issue arises when people decide that their way is the "right" way and try to force others to follow along, that, that is the only anti-individualist issue here. You can do what you want as long as you let others do what they want too.