Industrial Music thoughts/recommendations

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
So I've been getting into a bit of Industrial Music (electro and otherwise) as of late, mostly because I was a wannabe goth when I was in high school, and I seem to be entering the mid-life crisis phase spectacularly early (I like to call it my "quarter-life crisis," which while pathetic, offers a certain quality of humorous honesty)
Anyway, I was wondering how some of you felt about industrial/post-industrial/EBM/what have you, and where applicable, who some of your favorite artists/songs within the genera are.
Personally, I'm really into the Electro side of the spectrum, Front Line Assembly, VNV Nation, etc. I have dabbled in Nine Inch Nails and their associated acts, some of it I've liked, some not so much.
Don't view that as a limitation though, by all means throw whatever ya got at me, the more "out there" the better.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Based upon the ones you mentioned so far I'd recommend:

Assemblage 23 - Like VNV Nation they are not so heavy and have more emphasis on vocals.

I'd recommend trying: 'Disappoint (Funker Vogt RMX)', 'The Noise Inside My Head (Sonik Foundry Remix)' and 'Let Me Be Your Armor'

Mind.In.A.Box - A strange band and quite light compared to most, but it has a unique style that I like.

'Out of Time' and 'Light Force'

Suicide Commando - As cheerful as they sound, very heavy, normally slower than most Industrial kind of music.

'Love Breeds Suicide'

Apoptygma Berzerk - Aside from doing some brilliant covers of Metallica songs they also have a few amazing ones of their own.

'Eclipse', 'Paranoia', 'Nothing Else Matters' (cover) and 'Fade to Black' (cover)

I am sure I could probably dig some more up too.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
I'm not the biggest fan of Industrial but there are a few I like, Killing Joke, KMFDM, Rammstein and KidneyThieves. Also Rob Zombie, even though I think he's a knobhead, his music isn't so bad.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
I was literally just listening to this when I opened this thread:

Which is a pretty funny song/vid imo!

Check out some Grendel, X-Fusion/Noisuf-X (same guy), and Asphyxia.

kirwan464

Aug 9, 2013
http://www.alt-fest.com/index.html
the entire industrial stage as well as a few main stage bands.

the cruxshadows
the gothsicles
caustic
the causticles

from there just look up bands you like on last.fm and go through similar artists.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
I don't want to sound too talking in labels here (but will totally do so) but most stuff mentioned so far is Future Pop or some Electro/Gothic stuff which borrows from old school EBM or Wave etc and then turned mostly into some variation of Cyber Punks "Aggro Tech" like Agonoize, Aesthetic Perfection, Shnarph etc. Classic Industrial, which influenced the whole Cyber Goth thingy much later a lot, is stuff like:

Sonar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtWBtVyW47M
Throbbing Gristle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ
Esplendor Geometrico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQx7wazGEpM
maybe even some Skinny Puppy stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlFacVwlhew
and is alive today in groups like Iszoloscope for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCDJB93Tp-o
or ESA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHhatinmMOA

Industrial Rock was covered by El Luck and also includes stuff like Nine Inch Nails or Mechanical Animals from Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie or Pain, the side project of Hypocrisys mastermind.

I personally love Covenant and old stuff from Suicide Commando like "Kevorkian" but there are huge differences here in the musical style (regarding what the alt-fest features very roughly under "Industrial"). While Covenant turned from some kind of Avantgarde/Industrial/EBM thing to total Future Pop, "Kevorkian" is a good example of Suicide Commandos early Industrial-like stuff which turned into the prototype of Aggro Tech later after the "Mindstrip" album (most prominently with the "Hellraiser" track). And Front 242 are one or perhaps THE group of Old School EBM (others being bands like Nitzer Ebb, Pouppee Fabrikk etc).

Anway, hope you find something you like.

The Schlagstrom festival in Berlin/Germany focuses only on Industrial bands.
http://www.schlagstrom.de/images/stories/flyer/poster-online%20webseite.jpg

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I'm afraid I'm not quite as into Industrial as I could be, but I've always had a fondness for Wumpscut, Velvet Acid Christ and Skinny Puppy.

Also, it may not be on the Electro-Industrial end of the rivethead spectrum, but I've also had a long time fondness for the Genitorturers.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Industrial is okay, I suppose. Probably the scariest genre of music out there, IMO, but I don't really listen to music to get scared most of the time. :\

As far as recommendations go... Gotta go with originators of the whole thing, Throbbing Gristle. They make some of the most consistently frightening music I have ever heard, and I listen to a ton of death metal, black metal, doom metal, and extreme punk for fun. D:

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
This thread does not contain enough :wumpscut:.

Here is some :wumpscut:.

<youtube=QEc4zQ80NFs>

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Wow I'd thought this thread had died, I'm sorry for not following up until now!

Legion said:
Listened to most of your recommendations, liked quite a bit of it, especially the Assemblage 23 stuff, you were spot in saying they were very much like VNV. I quite likes the Suicide Commando as well, it's a nice combination of sound that I'm not really used to hearing, good stuff!

Bestival said:
Very Cyberpunky, nice Dark Electro vibe on these tracks in general, I feel like this is the kind of thing I would have really been into when I was a big electro-head, I'm not as hardcore anymore but I still like the sound and feel of it, very nice!

kirwan464 said:
When first reading your post I thought "anything called 'the Gothsicles' has to be awesome," upon looking them up I was not disappointed!

Hieronymusgoa said:
Thanks for the detailed resources I'll be sure to use them to look up more bands in addition to the ones recommended! Oh and thanks for the info and history, it's cool to hear about all the different facets of the genera and how it all links together.

Thanks to everyone else who's commented thusfar, I do plan to listen to all of it, whether or not I end up replying directly.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
OK, good. I did not get here too late.

Anyways, most of the bands that I wanted to mention have already been so here are the remaining few that I know of.

Its on a song by song basis

In fact this song alone inspired on of my comic book characters.

EDIT:
Thirty years of industrial right here

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
kirwan464 said:
http://www.alt-fest.com/index.html
the entire industrial stage as well as a few main stage bands.

the cruxshadows
the gothsicles
caustic
the causticles

from there just look up bands you like on last.fm and go through similar artists.
One of my friends is the guy that's created this festival, was about to link to it myself. Fingers crossed for him that it's a success!

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I feel compelled to throw some recommendations into the ring as well. While I know you said you were looking for Industrial specifically, Some of these will be skirting the genre a bit. I'm a big fan of Industrial(EBM mostly), Darkwave and Synthpop. I've been selling these bands to the public and even make recommendations to some of the club DJ's in my area on occasion. I'll try to keep this to bands that others have not already mentioned.

If you enjoyed Suicide Commando, you might also like Tactical Sekt, God Module, and The Retrosic.

If you enjoyed NIN(early 90's era specifically), you should look into Flesh Field, Imperative Reaction, Necessary Response, And System Syn.

If you enjoyed VNV Nation and Assemblage 23, you might like Mesh, Neurotic Fish, and De/Vision.

I would also recommend Blutengel, L'ame Immortelle, and Pulcher Femina for more Darkwave.

I would also recommend Die Sektor, and In Strict Confidence.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Based on the description of what you're looking for, you may enjoy Celldweller.

His music tends to be some amalgam of electronic rock, industrial metal, drum and bass, electronica, and dubstep. (sometimes just called "industrial metal-step")

It's hard to classify. He's kind of all over the place. But there are definitely some post-industrial influences in there.

May 26, 2014
Not mentioned yet are Front Line Assembly (early 80s electro group, pioneers of industrial) and Android lust (solo project, try Stained for a look). Trent is the daddy tho, by some considerable magnitude.

If by some chance and considerable abandon, I formed an industrial band, I'd probably call it Retractable Cyber F*ckStick :)

Aug 31, 2012
Not quite industrial, but you'd usually find a bunch of cybergoths would gravitate towards Crossbones soundsystem at squat parties, so maybe some doomcore?

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Madame_Lawliet said:
So I've been getting into a bit of Industrial Music (electro and otherwise) as of late, mostly because I was a wannabe goth when I was in high school, and I seem to be entering the mid-life crisis phase spectacularly early (I like to call it my "quarter-life crisis," which while pathetic, offers a certain quality of humorous honesty)
I don't think there's anything pathetic about having a quarter life crisis. I think it's fairly common, heck there's a wikipedia article about it [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-life_crisis] and 2,290,000 google search results if you google the term. I'm fairly confident you're not alone in having a quarter-life crisis, I personally feel I've been having one!

OT: I've been listening to Rammstein since I first started getting into music when I was 14 and they're often described as being industrial, although they're one of those bands which don't strictly cohere to one genre, which is one thing I like about them.

I'm not really an expert on industrial metal, but Bezin strikes me as being a tad industrial for fairly obvious reasons if you know a smattering of German.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
I tend to gravitate toward the more rock/metal fused industrial stuff as opposed to the techno/cybergoth club tracks so if that's your bag, can check out the following artists:

Systemshock

Rabbit Junk

Cyanotic

Mindless Faith

Flesh Field

Acumen Nation

Blue Stahli

Pitchshifter

Hanzel Und Gretyl

Orgy

Jerk

Crossbreed

Omitted some of the more obvious stuff like KMFDM and Celldweller and assume you're probably not as into the heavier end of the spectrum like Fear Factory, Synthetic Breed, Static-X etc.

It's actually a real shame, a lot of really cool bands and artists died off as collateral damage around the same time the Nu-Metal craze died in the ass around the early-mid 2000's.