Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I know I would like to continue my comic. I know I could do it twice-weekly (since I have to be able to in case I win...theres the random hopefulness again (and theres the crushing doubt. is this going to continue all week? (lost my train of thought...))) so anyway I was thinking of getting one of my more programmingly-ept friends to make me a simple website and update Tuesdays and Thursdays (the days xkcd doesn't update so my friends have something to read).

toadking07 said:
Should get a new a thread going after this for everyone to post their comics or links to where their comics will be for all to see! (at least for those of us planning on continuing our comics)
I second that idea. If the Escapist doesn't show us, I'd love to see what everyone else did.

Vatman

Feb 21, 2010
Is it just me, or has anyone else been having vicarious sort of day dreams about their future comic-plots and puns? Also I really want to wish everyone good luck...because my comics were pretty damned clever and you'll need the luck.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
oh yea, I even told my artist it would be a good idea just in case to work on them. plus who doesn't love thinking up plotlines

Ritzbot

Feb 12, 2010
If I lose the contest, I'll go back to building the setting of the non-gaming comic that I've been planning for a while. It'll be a world full of mad science, forbidden magic, and plot holes. I just need to make sure it's different enough from the other comics I read.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Oooooh-kay. Something tells me this is one of those, "You're just SOL moments," but after I (successfully) uploaded the images, the site flaked out. I didn't post the description until some thirty seconds after the contest ended.

Since the pics are already in, any chance I can weasel the words in somehow? I'll be your best friend.

EDIT: Here was the description that didn't post.

"ParaTropolis is set in a pseudofuturistic setting where magic exists, but isn't commonplace--more of an underground scene. You've got your necromancers (represented by hipsters who think the whole zombie thing brings in the wrong sort of people, goths, and creeps), you've got your cults, and you've got your general boogeymen.

The story is about a fast food chef who's leader of a cult of one, a girl who wants to be a necromancer (but isn't cool enough to get into any of the groups), and a man who sees dead people...and it's seriously starting to get old. Together, they get wrapped up in a conspiracy that threatens to destroy everything. As in, all of it."

jimmy_curbstomp

Mar 1, 2010
Huh. It uploaded my pictures, but didn't let me submit a description. Ah well. Does the contest not end at midnight?

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Yeah, I had a bit of bother with that at first too. Time zones and all that.

I thought I had it figured out, but then it loaded a bit slow, and, well, now I'm obsessively checking back here every four seconds.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
LACKT said:
Is it me or everyone's dropping doubt bombs before saying good luck?
I'm feeling pretty dang good about my entry, actually. Especially considering the outstanding job put forward by the artist I teamed up with. On the one hand, it's hard to imagine what someone else might have come up with that would top my entry, but on the other hand, I want to avoid getting too overconfident so if I do loose, I won't fall into a terrible depression about it and stuff. That, and if I knew of an entry idea that I thought could beat mine, I would have used that idea instead. Then there's the possibility that what I came up with might not fit the intent of the contest...

But overall, I'm not feeling any kind of a 'doubt bomb'.

Satoshii

Feb 7, 2010
Space Jawa said:
LACKT said:
Is it me or everyone's dropping doubt bombs before saying good luck?
I'm feeling pretty dang good about my entry, actually. Especially considering the outstanding job put forward by the artist I teamed up with. On the one hand, it's hard to imagine what someone else might have come up with that would top my entry, but on the other hand, I want to avoid getting too overconfident so if I do loose, I won't fall into a terrible depression about it and stuff. That, and if I knew of an entry idea that I thought could beat mine, I would have used that idea instead. Then there's the possibility that what I came up with might not fit the intent of the contest...

But overall, I'm not feeling any kind of a 'doubt bomb'.
Well with art there will probably always be someone "better" than yourself, so it really depends if you've got the right combination of stuff, the right art/direction/writing/genre/etc. in the right order for the person who is judging the work.

Although I do wish I had your confidence. I'm not bashing my own work, but I find it hard to have that cocksureness about it when art is so subjective. Especially with such an open contest (in terms of the freedom we have with our entries). I'm not surprised that many people are laying proverbial bricks as they wait for the results to come out.

Io-T

Feb 26, 2010
Everyone's confidence has me disheartened ^^;;. I wouldn't even consider mine really finished since I only had time to do the color blocks on the last one with some gradients thrown in. I suppose I was a bit silly to try and pull 4 fully rendered full color graphic novel sized pages out of thin air in two days, but the actual inks, story and blocking I was really proud of. If I don't make it, which considering how much thought people seem to have put into their entries for a full month is more than likely, chances are I'll take a day to finish the shading and toss em up on my current web comic page that I work on off and on, Fantasy Writ.

My stomach is still reeling from it all but the contest definitely showed me that I really could easily do twice a week updates if it was what I wanted to do

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
Heck, i think im going to fail this, lol. I found out about this 8 days before. I do have ideas for plot based comics, but I doubt I would be able to show everything in 4 comics... so I did the 'classic' route, and did 4 game based jokes for different games... and I thought of two better ones after I made my sumbission. Heck, maybe after this is done, we can start a thread with what we submitted? Is there even an art thread here on the escapist?

engineermk2004

Feb 21, 2010
Got my comic submitted. No illusions about getting the contract, though. My clever and concise writing and computer rendered, high contrast images will probably lose to loosely scribbled stick figures flinging poo. Guess it was a nice dream, though.

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
Im expecting to lose against some person with photoshopped awsomeness who had the full month to make the comic... I only had 8 days, pencil, paper, pen, a scanner, and MS paint, lol.