Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

SairexQT

Feb 2, 2010
The atmosphere in this place is like cheerful rainbows that vomit cinnamon apple pies.

...gotta write that down...crap, I just did.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
Axzarious said:
Im expecting to lose against some person with photoshopped awsomeness who had the full month to make the comic... I only had 8 days, pencil, paper, pen, a scanner, and MS paint, lol.
Don't worry about it. I only had just over a day. In the end, my concern for my premise/subject matter outweighs my misgivings about the art I could've rustled up if I'd had more time. On the other hand... probably could've come up with a much better premise if I'd had more time :D

But for realzy, I expect there to have been some decent variation amongst the submissions, so you never know what could happen. Some of the more assured posts here on the forums have been interesting, because, well, you hope that they've produced something of quality to justify their sentiment. That's why I'm eager to see the other entries, not because I'd like to see them shot down for their hubris -- more the opposite. Obviously, it would be nice to win, but if it's not gonna happen, then I'd like to see a pleasantly raised bar.

Also, it's always interesting to see what people can churn out given the same relative conditions (time limits notwithstanding).

Bejogo

Feb 9, 2010
isjusterin said:
My question for everyone is, if you don't win (which is a 99% chance for everyone I suppose), what do you plan to do with your comic? Or are you planning to do something else? It seems like this contest has gotten everyone motivated...
Aye, I found that working on Lino Is Not An Animal fun enough to want to continue making one or two a week regardless of whether or not I land this gig (which I find doubtful given that the only thing that holds it up is the writing, which I only expect to have a very niche appeal, and that it doesn't really mention games... at all). I'll probably have a mate who's a little more web-savvy than I design a site for it, and I'll throw one or two up per week. I suppose I could slap a donation link on if it sees enough traffic, to substantiate my current, very minimal, income.

An alternative route would be to send some to other web and print based publications. Fortunately I live in an art school city, and so there's no shortage of a market for pretentious Dadaistic twaddle. Hooray!

SairexQT

Feb 2, 2010
Pretty sure there was something said in the rules that ALL submitted entries are property of Themis Media and will not be returned, so...if you don't win then your dream is dead.

Unless you simply change the name of the comic and make new characters, then you're good to go.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
SairexQT said:
Pretty sure there was something said in the rules that ALL submitted entries are property of Themis Media and will not be returned, so...if you don't win then your dream is dead.

Unless you simply change the name of the comic and make new characters, then you're good to go.
Spinwhiz said:
"The contestant hereby grants a non-exclusive, royalty free, world-wide, irrevocable, perpetual license to publish, distribute, sell, and otherwise exploit the Contest Entry in any medium to Company. The contestant retains all other right, title, and interest in the Contest Entry."

This means, whatever you submit to us, we can do whatever we want with on The Escapist but you own it. So, if you don't win and want to create your own site or pitch it to someone, we have no problem with it. Non-exclusive being the main word, so we look forward to seeing your entry.

SairexQT

Feb 2, 2010
Well that's a relief, my artist quoted something scary from the contest rules that made it clear that we're pretty much screwed...oh well, light shines once more.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Wow, when I said that March 1st would bring the panic I didn't expect to see a full page of it when I got back. xD

I'm personally not as worried about this as I think I should be.
Probably because I got most of the worry out of the way as soon as I submitted my comic on the 8th of February... My only real regret to how fast I am at this stuff now...

As for continuing the comic in the likely event that I lose, I don't think this one will carry on, I made it for the sake of the escapist and that's the way it stays, I'll put up the pages I did use somewhere for people to see, but that'd be all, Besides I already got two other comics going at the moment(One weekly, the other when a good idea comes to mind), so it's not like I won't be working on them xD

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
engineermk2004 said:
Got my comic submitted. No illusions about getting the contract, though. My clever and concise writing and computer rendered, high contrast images will probably lose to loosely scribbled stick figures flinging poo. Guess it was a nice dream, though.
Must be so hard for you.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
I think they are waiting for the last minute to post the results. That way it will seriously boost their hits from people who entered nervously checking every five minutes. The longest Ive gone this morning without checking is 15 minutes.

If this is their intention its very clever, evil but still clever.

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
engineermk2004 said:
Got my comic submitted. No illusions about getting the contract, though. My clever and concise writing and computer rendered, high contrast images will probably lose to loosely scribbled stick figures flinging poo. Guess it was a nice dream, though.
Whoa, whoa... It may not be the best to say such things about the judges tastes whilst they're judging your work...

And besides... I spent HOURS on my entry "Monkey stick figure poo flingers" (A comic where 2 monkey chums review games on the couch and give them ratings in Poo's out of 10) and you just come along and nay say my idea... Ouch... my pride. :'(

My monkey stick figures have feelings too.

(Just to reiterate, that WAS a joke...)

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Hello All,

Due to the great response this contest has had, we are now going to announce the winners the week of March 8th, instead of this week. Please stay tuned.

Thanks!
Spin

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
Due to the great response this contest has had, we are now going to announce the winners the week of March 8th, instead of this week. Please stay tuned.
Doh! Now this thread can be thrice as long. This is a test of your patience everyone. Be strong. Be manly.

How many submissions, Spinwhiz? If there are a bazillion, then it should help some folks sleep easier.

Satoshii

Feb 7, 2010
Spinwhiz said:
Hello All,

Thanks!
Spin
Oh nuts. There goes my resolve to last the week. :S

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Spinwhiz said:
Hello All,

Thanks!
Spin
AWW,at least post the submissions so we can squabble about it.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Hello All,

Thanks!
Spin
Awwwwwe man! Sad day.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
SairexQT said:
The atmosphere in this place is like cheerful rainbows that vomit cinnamon apple pies.

...gotta write that down...crap, I just did.
That is a great quote. I'm stealing, bu I'm not going to tell you that.

SairexQT said:

I'm not really sure why everyone was so sure the escapist was trying to steal their works. I mean, they got to get permission to show what you sent in anywhere, but really, even if they did own it, do you think they would have tracked you down if you posted your four comics somewhere else? I mean, it's not like this was a secret contest, that'd be a pretty dick move right out in the open if they did.

Blah, anyways, yesh, so many entries that they won't be able to tell us until next week? Great, great, how many entries did they get? I wonder if they just opened their message box on Sunday and was like, "Uh-Oh."

MHG5

Feb 23, 2010
Good luck everyone! Both in the winning and keeping sane for the next week!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
LACKT said:
AWW,at least post the submissions so we can squabble about it.
I agree (to squabble). Gather ye poo, ye mudflinging monkeys! (Mmmm... tastes like cinnamon apples.)

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Sorry peeps. You guys are just too awesome that we want to make sure everything is done and looked at properly. Thank you for your patience.